What's new

Watching Movies you Hate (1 Viewer)

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Do you typically sit through movies you find yourself hating during the film just to finish the movie and be able to either discuss it or have it there for future reference if necessary?

I just sat through what I would consider to be one of the worst movies I ever saw, Girl. It was rather painful to sit through it but I did anyway, just so I could add it to the list I have seen or something like that. I always find myself doing this with films I hate. Is this just me or do others torture themselves in this fashion as well?

-Eric

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
I once watched Battlefield Earth in its entirty even though I hated it. It was funny seeing John Travolta distroy his career on camera

Edit: I also gave up on Jeepers Creepers about an hour in even though I new that the "good" parts were coming up since I was tired and nothing intresting was going on.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I wouldn't say that I'll sit through a movie I hate just so I can talk about it. More like I want to give the film, the entire film, a fair chance. I have seen many movies that the first 1/2 hour sucked but then it got really good. If I had given up in the first 30 minutes, I would never know that I enjoyed the rest of the movie.

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator
sort of like watching The Sixth Sense.
"This is boring...nothings going on...boring...WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT" :D

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
No !!! If it's a rotten film for the first 45 minutes, It's going to a rotten film for the NEXT 45 minutes. I really don't see such a film deserving a so called fair chance. I mean it's just a friggin movie, I won't be hurting it's feelings when I shut the damn thing off and find a better way of spending my time.

Life is too short to force myself to waste an extra hour on something that I aint diggin'

Anders Englund

Second Unit
I always finish watching a movie I started. Plus, I'll be able to reveal the ending to people to prevent them from watching it. :)
--Anders

Mikah Woodward

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, something inside me forces me to finish the movie, no matter how bad it is. I don't think I have ever stopped watching a movie in the middle, no matter how much I hate it.

I just think that if a movie's first 20 minutes are bad, the rest of the movie better be damn good, as they would never release a bad movie just to make a few bucks before people start to read reviews, really.

I have been proven wrong time and time again. Most recently, I forced myself to watch Scary Movie 2 in it's entirety. After seeing that, I'm going to have to rethink my stance on stopping bad movies after 20 minutes or so.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
While I'm sure there have been some I just couldn't finish, in most cases I do force myself to finish watching them. In my case I'm watching a movie I hate because it's so highly critically acclaimed. As a film buff, I feel uneducated if I haven't seen such films in their entirety. As an example (one that irritates a lot of people :)), I find Lawrence of Arabia very boring. I looked at my watch a lot while watching it (it actually took a large number of about 15 minute viewings since that was about all I could take in one sitting). But I watched it all, and am glad. LOA is an important film, even if it's boring and I am a better movie buff for having seen it.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking no, but then I remembered that I didn't turn off Hearts in Atlantis the other night, and I hated it. So I guess the answer is yes. Why? I really have no idea. Not so I could say I've seen it, though. I don't really care about that.

It depends. If I paid money for the movie I'll usually suffer through it hoping to find a kernel of corn in the pile of crap. If I'm watching TV and I loose interest, changing the channel is oh so easy.

-Craig

StephenA

Screenwriter
I pretty much always give movies a chance. The only time I didn't was with Shadow ofthe Vampire. I found it extremely boring and sucky and stopped it like 15 minutes into the movie. I know alot of people loved it though. My cousin always picks on me for giving movies a chance. My mom won't watch a movie if she don't like the title of the movie. Yes, the title. I always have to sit her down and make her watch the movie, and 95% of the time she likes them.

LisaH

Stunt Coordinator
Usually, I'll stay so I can really gripe about the whole movie which is fun once in a while.
I think the movie I've hated the most in recent years was The Patriot I wanted to leave that one but was in a packed cinema and was wedged in middle of a row of what seemed to be inordinately large people. It was like I went to see it with a farm hand convention! And to make matters worse, the person next to me had sandals on and had VERY smelly feet. Since I couldn't get out without creating some kind of Bridget Jones debacle I stayed and thus dislike the movie even more. Had fun bitching about it though, and learned valuable lesson: not to sit in the middle when I'm on my own on the opening weekend of a popcorn flick.

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
I always finish watching the movie, assuming I saw it starting at the beginning. I used to blow them off, but I got tired of somebody telling me "Oh, it was great after the first 30 minutes". Often I'd hear that, then I'd go back and watch the whole movie and realize the entire movie sucked, not just the first half-hour.

This attitude started when I went with a friend to a drive-in (yes, they still exist) to see Jurrasic Park. The second movie was a gem called Cop And A Half. About ten minutes in, we were going to leave, but we talked about it and realized we had to watch the whole thing so that nobody could ever tell us how great the second half was. We saw the whole thing, and we know how much it sucks from beginning to end.

This rule has been invoked MANY times over the years - Cops And Robbersons, Charlie's Angels, The Patriot, Pearl Harbor, Gosford Park, Burn Hollywood Burn, Moulin Rouge, etc. I'm doing a Glitter/Freddie Got Fingered double feature this weekend in preparation for the Razzie Awards, and I fully expect the rule to be in full-force!

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I will watch any movie from any genre, giving them all their due. Sure, I may hate some of them and they will never get a repeat viewing but at least I watch them.

On a sidenote, what is a MAJOR pet peeve for me is when people get "violent" because you enjoyed a movie they hated. I see this all the time on another forum.....people flat out saying this sucks, or that was crap and how could you like that movie?

To each their own I always say.

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with you, Tony, that flame wars are pointless. They go both ways - someone says that a movie is great and someone else has to tell them that it sucked. It also happens that someone says they didn't like a movie, just to have people tell that person how stupid they are for not liking a masterpiece. In fact, I intentionally left Mulholland Drive off my list in my post above because I knew someone would start telling me how if I didn't like it (and I didn't - there are few movies I've seen in the last few years I've disliked as much as that one) I know nothing about movies and that I should go back to watching The Mummy Returns.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Somehow I got through Crossroads, the worst film of 2002. Despite the pain it caused, I have the policy of watching a movie all the way through, but was amazed I made it through this one. :laugh:

Jason Handy

Second Unit
The only movie I have stopped in the middle was the latest version of Dune. It was just moving too slowly, and I thought the acting just wasn't very good. I will say that from what I saw, I thought it was much more faithful to the book than David Lynch's version, simply because it had the time to pursue more detail.

But in terms of suffering through a movie you hate, I have to say the one that comes to mind recently is The Golden Bowl...I simply thought the movie was devoid of everything. I was hoping there to be some great punchline at the end, but it just underscored the who impression that it is a deflated story. Maybe I am missing something here, but I was really disappointed.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks