What's new

Watching Movies you Hate (1 Viewer)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
David Ruiz, you always post these long rants about how much you hate The Godfather, but you NEVER give a valid reason for disliking it. As a matter of fact, the only reason you EVER gave was that "it was boring" and comments like that are not going to get you anywhere.

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
First we were judging entire films on the first 15 minutes, now we've moved on to bashing before we even see them!!
Funny stuff, Francios! :laugh:

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Hey, everybody grilled me in the polls when I said that I hated Taxi Driver, Gone With The Wind and From Russia With Love since those movies are so stupid and boring

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Boring is okay for you to call them, but stupid. No. Those films are very intelligent cinema, especially Taxi Driver. How can you say that movie is stupid?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
There are lots of great films that I've hated in the first 5 minutes. I'll watch all of Magnolia, a film I hated, in order to increase my appreciation of films as an art form.

I've hated several films while still being able to recognize that they are cinematic art of the highest caliber.

I hated caviar the one time I tried it, and back in my drinking days hated even the finest beers.

Conversely, I've thoroughly loved and enjoyed many movies universally reviled by the cognoscenti, and been fully aware of how bad they were from the standpoint of cinema as an art form.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Eeeeek! People saying they hate The Godfather, Lawrence of Arabia, Taxi Driver, From Russia With Love and even the sublime Highlander II, what has happened to my beloved HTF?
But seriously everyone IS entitled to their opinions, but I also reserve the right to squint at the monitor, stick my tongue out and quickly scribble a members name in my little notepad for future reference when an opinion seems to me to have been posted from a parallel universe.:D
For the record I sat thru Magnolia and hated every second of it, IMHO the most overrated film of all time, I even hated Tom Cruise's performance in it, I thought he did a better job prancing around the forest in Legend.
(ok, come on, who just jotted my name in their notepad?):)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Hey, everybody grilled me in the polls when I said that I hated Taxi Driver, Gone With The Wind and From Russia With Love since those movies are so stupid and boring
Ryan, you are the same way David Ruiz is, you both say you dislike films because they are "boring" and "stupid." I think you deserve to be grilled for saying that because you are not giving a valid criticism.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
say you dislike films because they are "boring" and "stupid." I think you deserve to be grilled for saying that because you are not giving a valid criticism.
I don't necessarily agree that this is not valid criticism. True, I don't agree that the Godfather is either boring or stupid. But certainly there are stupid films out there, and most certainly there are boring ones. And unlike stupid, which I think can be argued somewhat objectively, boring is completely subjective. So if someone says they find The Godfather boring, that is a perfectly valid reason for them to dislike the film. Boring is in the eye of the beholder. Just ask Rob Tomlin. :)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
George, I disagree, in my opinion it is not acceptable to say that you dislike a film just because it is boring.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Boring is in the eye of the beholder. Just ask Rob Tomlin. :)
That's true George! But, I think that many films might appear to be "boring" if they are watched in 15 minute increments!
:D
Anyway, it is important to define the term "boring". I take it to mean that nothing is going on that interests the viewer.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
David Ruiz, you always post these long rants about how much you hate The Godfather, but you NEVER give a valid reason for disliking it. As a matter of fact, the only reason you EVER gave was that "it was boring" and comments like that are not going to get you anywhere.
I have stated many times why I disliked "The Godfather" so much, but you just don't see them as valid reasons. They ARE valid reason for me. Here is what I said before:

*Too long and Drawn Out

*Boring

*Uninteresting

*Not thought provoking

*Bad Acting

*Actors looked like they didn't want to be there

*Pacing Is Too Slow!

These were MY reasons, and MY *OPINIONS* on why I greatly disliked the film. Besides the fact, that I have no interest what-so-ever in Gangster/Mafia films.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
George, I disagree, in my opinion it is not acceptable to say that you dislike a film just because it is boring.
Wow! That's quite a statement. I infer from that that one of the following must be true:

a) there are no films you find boring

b) even though you find some films boring, you still like them

c) every film that you find boring also has some other reason for you to dislike it.

Not only do we disagree here, we disagree vehemently. My number one reason for not liking films is because I find them boring.

It doesn't really matter to me that in your opinion it is unacceptable that I dislike all these films because they are boring. I will continue to do so. But it certainly blows my mind.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
It doesn't really matter to me that in your opinion it is unacceptable that I dislike all these films because they are boring. I will continue to do so. But it certainly blows my mind.
i'm guessing (hoping?) that what Bill J meant is that he doesn't find simply saying a film was boring to be sufficient; rather, a proper explanation would include why the film was boring.

for me, "boring" is far more descriptive than other possible one-word reviews (e.g., "sucks") and usually seems like a valid critique to me in itself without further explication.

DJ

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I seem to be constantly turning off or walking out of the room during many cable/tv broadcasts, but I tend to be more careful with my rental selections or theater trips. Rarely do I get an absolute stinker.

But I won't hang in there once a film's lameness is apparent, or once it's clear I'm making no connection with it. Recently, I've given up on "Don't Say A Word" and "Goodbye South, Goodbye", the former because it's simply a lousy movie, and this became apparent long before the second act (though I hung in there 'till then), and the latter because I could not penetrate the narrative and connect in anyway with the movie (though I'll likely revisit it again one day).

Aaron Croft

Stunt Coordinator
Calling a film "stupid" really has no meaning to me. Calling a film "boring" is very descriptive, and tells me something about why someone didn't like it. It says that the subject matter didn't interest the viewer... but "stupid"??? First of all a movie can't REALLY be stupid or intelligent.... it just doesn't describe anything.
That's just my opinion of course :)
Back on topic tho... I tend to have the opposite opinion of a lot of you. I am WAY more likely to walk out on a movie in a theater than I am to turn it off on my HT. The fact that I paid $8 doesn't bother me.. it's just a matter of being stuck in a theater watching something that bores me as apposed to AT LEAST being able to take a water break at home.
I have watched many movies I thought were boring... and even watched them AGAIN just to see if I missed why some people like them. One recent example is "Unbreakable". That movie bored me to tears the first time I watched it... BUT after reading a thread here about how many people loved it I had to rent it again to give it another chance. After watching it a second time I was only that much more convinced that it was "stupid" :)
Aaron

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Alright, I might give Taxi Driver another chance. When does it come on Cable tv anytime soon or will I just have to rent the DVD. In my personal opinion, Gone With the Wind is just way to long and it has the most phony overacting i have ever seen. (if it counts, I got to the intermission before falling asleep). With From Russia With Love, the "BIG" climax was just too short and not very interesting. Now Thunderball, Goldeneye, and Tomorrow Never Dies (underrated) are good fast paced Bond Movies.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
How is not liking a film because it bores you not valid? If I'm bored to tears watching a film, then I'm certainly not enjoying it. I agree that The Godfather is quite boring, as in I don't find it interesting. Obviously many others do. That's their right. Just because a movie is hailed as a classic doesn't mean everyone has to like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks