What's new

Watching Movies you Hate (1 Viewer)

RayG

Stunt Coordinator
Highlander II: The Quickening is the only movie I stopped watching halfway through. Its also the only movie I had to fast forward during, and I still couldn't watch the whole thing.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I remember back in college in my film studies class we had to sit through a film starring Jeremy Irons as a refugee in England and the hardships he and his family faced. The pace of this movie was s......l.....o.....w.

I walked out after 45 minutes. It was too much to bare. To this day I still don't know what the film was called.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I tend to stick things out, but that policy may be changing. The only movie I remember turning off halfway through recently is Stanley Tucci's decidedly broad slapstick comedy, The Impostors. I rented it after a raving recommendation from a friend, but found the farcical style, with characters constantly hiding from and chasing each other, to be not to my taste.

My girlfriend at the time was watching it with me, and had a similar reaction. It was a mutual decision to turn it off--I suspect I might have stuck it out a little longer had I been alone. I'm the kind of person who gets embarrassed when watching a bad movie with friends, lest my taste be impugned.

--Jefferson Morris

Ricky Cash

Agent
Most movies have something going for them for most people. Either an actor that they like, great affects or action, great music. Incredible sound, beautiful cinematography. Something to at least keep you interested. The only movie I have ever tried to watch and had to give up on was Blair Witch. I have watched some really bad ones in my day but never this bad, not one interesting thing happened in the 40 minutes I tried to watch. Sorry BW fans.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Luis Esp wrote:
I remember . . . a film starring Jeremy Irons as a refugee in England and the hardships he and his family faced. The pace of this movie was s......l.....o.....w. . . . To this day I still don't know what the film was called.
Would that be the following?
"In 1996, [Irons] directed and co-starred with his wife, actress Sinead Cusack in Mirad, A Boy From Bosnia, a Channel 4 Television film about refugees, written by Ad De Bent."

Peter Cho

Auditioning
From the soundtrack of "Great Expectations" (with Gwyneth Paltrow & Ethan Hawk, performed by Pulp "Like a Friend"
Don't bother saying you're sorry
Why don't you come in
(You are) like a film that's so bad but
I've got to stay 'til the end
Let me tell you
It's lucky for you that we're friends
;)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
If I've paid to see a movie in a theater, I'll stay. I'm gonna get my $8 worth, dang it! If I've rented it, I've been known to turn it off if I'm hating it like a half-hour in. This has only bitten me in the ass once. When I first rented BOTTLE ROCKET, I turned it off after only like ten minutes. Later, I see RUSHMORE and love it and decide to give BR more of a chance. I ended up liking it. Not loving it, but liking it.

For the guy who turned off SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE: Boy, you really did miss out not giving that flick a chance. It rocked!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Didn't the creators of Mystery Science Theater 3000 build a whole career out of talking and telling jokes to drown-out the most unwatchably bad movies ever made, so that they'd be funny and entertaining?
So yeah, you might not like Lawrence of Arabia, The Mummy Returns, or even Moulin Rouge. I'm not here to question your taste in movies, good or bad... What I am saying is this: If the cast + crew of MST3K could make me actually enjoy Manos: The Hands of Fate, I'm sure yourself and two friends should be able to come up with enough jokes to get you through at least one viewing of any terrible movie you could find in your videostore.
PS: I'm just glad nobody has yet mentioned In the Mouth of Madness in their unwatchable films lists. "Do you read Sutter Cane?"

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I never walk out on, nor turn off a film.

Which makes the fact that I chose to turn off "Freddie Got Fingered" after 1 hour that much more of an indicator as to how awful it was.

The only film I "gave up on".

Alan Benson

Stunt Coordinator
Well, since I tend to completely discount the opinions of people who walk out in the middle of movies... I guess that means I shouldn't walk out of them myself...

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
i'm of the mind that in order to form a coherent and meaningful opinion of a film, one must watch it in its entirety. so while i've certainly watched only parts of films in the past (usually on TV, but i've never walked out of a theater), i wouldn't purport to have anything of value to say about those films. i find opinions of films derived from having watched only parts of it to be rather worthless (e.g., "that movie sucked so bad i turned it off after 10 minutes!!!1").

DJ

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I had never in my entire life turned off a movie half way into it, because just like everyone else on this board, I would feel really bad for not giving the film a fair chance. I have seen some REALLY bad movies out there.
I'm sure many of you know that I hated "The Godfather" and "Saving Private Ryan" but I STILL sat through them, even though I was at the point of tears (bored to tears).
However, the point I was trying to drive at, was that, even though I have a policy to NEVER turn off a film once it has started, I *HAD* to turn off "Natural Born Killers" about 15 minutes towards the end, because I can swear to all of you here, if I had watched just ONE more minute of that stupid-ass boring movie, I would have slit my wrists so that I would not have to live through the agony of watching the rest of that horrible movie!!! Talk about BAD films...THIS WAS THE WORST!!! Even worse than "The Godfather" and I thought that NOTHING could be that bad!!!
In fact, I think that even "Battlefield Earth" was a better movie than "Natural Born Killers"!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
David,

No offense, but around here saying that a movie is even worse than the Godfather isn't going to sway many people. It's like saying:

She's uglier than Grace Kelly

He's stupider than Albert Einstein

He's shorter than Wilt Chamberlain

He's more humanitarian than Adolph Hitler

You're entitled to your opinion, but realize that people will look at your opinion about the Godfather when evaluating how much weight to give your opinion about Natural Born Killers, which for most of us, will be very, very little.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
Oh Please!

Everyone on here already knows that I despise "The Godfather" with all my heart and all my soul!

That being said, Why am I NOT entitled to my own opinion on films just like everyone else.

Someone previously mentioned that they didn't like "Lawerence Of Arabia" and nobody even thought twice about it, but when I say that I hated "The Godfather" then right away someone attacks me! I have my reasons for hating "The Godfather" as I'm sure you all have reasons for loving it, but my vote for "Natural Born Killers" should not be any less credible, just because I didn't like "The Godfather".

Travis D

Second Unit
David, you do have your own opinion and we respect that here. But your touting your opinion like gospel will not garner many kind remarks. Especially when you trounce a film so highly regarded as The Godfather. I'm just saying that maybe you should rephrase your opinions so that they don't come off so, harsh. We're all adults here. (Except for me and the other under 20's, we're dirty imposter teens who don't know a damn thing. :D)
I do, however, understand your distaste for Natural Born Killers. Felt like I was on an acid trip, and not a good one at that.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
my vote for "Natural Born Killers" should not be any less credible, just because I didn't like "The Godfather".
It's credible in the sense that it's your opinion and your entitled to it. But don't expect people to not take your opinions about other films into account.

If a classical music critic says "Beethoven sucks", that's their opinion. But if they say don't buy music by composer X because it's even worst than Beethoven and I didn't think that was possible, what am I to do if I've never heard of X, but I have heard Beethoven and think it's great. I'm not going to take his word for it.

That's all I was saying. Sorry you saw it as an attack, it was simply trying to point out that your statement about Godfather (perfectly valid for you to make) is going to color how much faith people put in your other opinions. That was all.

Don't worry David, I won't be bothering you with any further responses.

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
Ick, I can never stand a bad movie, I usually turn it off after 10 minutes. I only made it through the first scene in Gladiator or the beginning of lets say, The Big Hit. I was able to make it through The One(that movie sucks balls)Town & Country(I wanted to stab my eyes out, and beat my head against a concrete wall during that movie). I mean the only thing that didnt make me walk out of Fellowship of The Ring because of sheer boredom was the occasional action scene.
Note- I can take boring movies! An example Takeshi Kitano's 3x4 Jugatsu
As always opinions

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
For what it's worth, I didn't like The Godfather either.
But I will watch entire movies, even if they suck. Deconstructing Harry was probably the hardest film to get though. The editting of that flick left me feeling totally out there. Even for a Woody Allen flick that was too bizzare. I couldn't understand what the hell was happening when, and what was his life and what was the book characters' world.
EXCEPTION: TV broacasts of movies.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
As a film buff, I feel uneducated if I haven't seen such films in their entirety. As an example (one that irritates a lot of people ), I find Lawrence of Arabia very boring. I looked at my watch a lot while watching it (it actually took a large number of about 15 minute viewings since that was about all I could take in one sitting).
:eek:
George, I think I may actually have found part of the reason why you found Lawrence of Arabia boring! My God, dude! How the heck can you expect to get any accurate feel for the pacing of the movie (not to mention losing any sense of cohesiveness) if you are watching only 15 minute increments!? :confused: :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks