What's new

Was the Full Screen Vacation Edited? (1 Viewer)

Benjamin.D

Stunt Coordinator
A reviewer on Amazon.com claimed the the Fullscreen National Lampoon's Vacation disc was edited for content (from the original theatrical version). Is this true? I don't own the disc.

Ben

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
Ben,
I don't know(I refuse to buy a disc thats not 16.9 out of principle.), but it would be a crime. If the take out Bev in that shower scene I think I would cry. So, with that in mind, hold off before you take the plunge(Even if it is in the $6 bin) as I hear from a good source( The people here!) that a widescreen is due soon. (And about time Warner Bros!) Now, if the other Vacation flicks could come out that way, We'll be set.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if it was edited from the theatrical release, but there's clearly a camel scene that is missing, though it may have been cut before theatrical release and they just didn't fix the credits.

Benjamin.D

Stunt Coordinator
I assure you all, I was not going to buy it. I was just curious. I'm holding out for the OAR release this year!!!

Ben

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The current DVD contains all nude scenes. The only Amazon review I can find that hints at "editing" is this one from Erik Bateson:

He seems to be saying this: there are scenes that were taken from the cutting room floor and reinstated to the TV broadcast version of the film, to make up for lost time when they had to cut the nudity. The VHS apparently didn't contain the theatrical edit of the film, containing some of this instead. Because the DVD did contain the theatrical edit, despite the open-matte format, Erik feels that the DVD is the wrong edit, not the VHS. Whatever.

In any case, I wouldn't worry a dime about the existing DVD or any old VHS or other versions of the film. The new 20th Anniversary Edition of Vacation will be here on 8/19, and will be EXACTLY like what we saw in the theater (for better or - for some apparently - for worse). If you want the theatrical version, look for this:

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
A buddy of mine's got the current DVD, and we were watching it the other night, and the Beverly D'angelo shower scene was there.

And thanks for posting that art, Dave--first time I've seen it. Not too different from the existing version, but I'll definitely be picking this one up in a few months.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
People were probably confused since the TV version changes a lot of the film. A lot of the big jokes are different in the theatrical / video and the TV version.

For example, the talk between Audrey and her cousin (a pre-Ally McBeal Jane Krakowski) on the seesaw about French kissing has a different punchline. In the theatrical it is "Yeah, but my daddy says I'm the best" and on TV it is "Yeah, but my science teacher says I'm the best". I could see them changing this line since it REALLY changed Cousin Eddie's character. And with the rumored upcoming Cousin Eddie movie...

Another change is when they are lost and driving through the inner city and stop and ask for directions. Clark asks a guy sitting in front of a building who says in the video version "F*** your mama" and in the TV version, he says "What do I look like, Christopher Columbo?"

A few other changes in it.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
When European Vacation came out on DVD, there was some talk about it being an edited-for-television print, but I never was able to find out if that was in fact the case. Anyone have any definitive information?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
When European Vacation came out on DVD, there was some talk about it being an edited-for-television print, but I never was able to find out if that was in fact the case. Anyone have any definitive information?
Of European Vacation being the TV print? Both that and the existing Vaction DVDs are the theatrical prints. I don't know about the upcoming version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks