What's new

Warner Archives Announces Porky Pig Collection 1934-1943 (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the pressed discs are limited to the WB Shop and if you buy from Amazon you will get burned discs. That is the way it used to be if I remember correctly.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I wonder if the pressed discs are limited to the WB Shop and if you buy from Amazon you will get burned discs. That is the way it used to be if I remember correctly.

Since there really is no difference between the two kinds, it really doesn't matter. I have never had any problem with burned discs and they play on my computer, two different DVD players, 3 different Blu Ray players and two Magnavox recordable DVD players.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
That is normally the way it works since Amazon has its own DVD-R plant. Warner Archive normally provides pressed copies if available to other retailers like Deep Discount DVD, CDImport and a few others.

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
At the very least it is good to have some classic animation in any form, but what I have never understood is:

Why can't WB simply do a complete multi-volume release of every Merrie Melodies/Looney Tunes short in chronological order? It seems possible to do so and in HD. Sure the effort would have to be taken, but surely an archive BD release of a single volume per year instead of various shorts being put out in HD on Blu-ray releases at random or yet another volume release mixed with previously released and newly released shorts.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
At the very least it is good to have some classic animation in any form, but what I have never understood is:

Why can't WB simply do a complete multi-volume release of every Merrie Melodies/Looney Tunes short in chronological order? It seems possible to do so and in HD. Sure the effort would have to be taken, but surely an archive BD release of a single volume per year instead of various shorts being put out in HD on Blu-ray releases at random or yet another volume release mixed with previously released and newly released shorts.

I'm just thinking for right now, this is going to be a test run to see and determine whether and if they feel it will be worth releasing more sets such as this, provided the sales figures are there to justify such a massive production for future sets, but we shall see what happens in the next few weeks time for those specific indicators to trickle in.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Just spotted this on the DVDTalk.com forum as this set is on sale at ClassicFlix until the month's end for $34.98...details and link below...

https://www.classicflix.com/products/porky-pig-101-warner-archive

"Until 8/31 on sale at Classic Flix for $34.98 plus $2.98 shipping. Suggested Retail Price $47.99

https://www.classicflix.com/products...warner-archive

Warner Archive Announces “Porky Pig 101” DVD Collection
August 16th, 2017 Jerry Beck

Warner Archives has announced today the September 19th release for Porky Pig 101 – a unique 5-disc DVD set that collects 99 black-and-white Looney Tunes (and two Technicolor Merrie Melodies) starring Warner Bros. first cartoon superstar.

The set includes cartoons dating from 1935 (with Porky’s first appearance in Friz Freleng’s I Haven’t Got A Hat) through 1943 (in Frank Tashlin’s Porky Pig’s Feat), presented in original release order. There is audio commentary on key cartoons from animation historians Greg Ford, Michael Barrier, Jerry Beck, Mark Kausler, among others.

The retail price is $47.99. In anticipation of high consumer demand, initial copies of Porky Pig 101, ordered via the Warner Archives website, will be traditionally manufactured using replicated (pressed) discs.

The collection provides a unique look at the evolution of the Warner Brothers cartoon, its humor and artistry, and the maturation of budding animators and directors Tex Avery, Bob Clampett, Friz Freleng, Chuck Jones, Ub Iwerks, Frank Tashlin – as well as utility players like Jack King, Norm McCabe, Ben Hardaway, Cal Dalton and Cal Howard."

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak

WBshop is typically the only place where you can get the pressed releases. Maybe other 3rd party sellers too but I cannot verify. Amazon is always burned.

Since there really is no difference between the two kinds, it really doesn't matter. I have never had any problem with burned discs and they play on my computer, two different DVD players, 3 different Blu Ray players and two Magnavox recordable DVD players.

Maybe it's changed recently, but I tend to prefer the WAC burned discs over the Amazon ones since the amazon discs tend to have an unpleasant odor that the WBshop bought MODs do not

While it would not be impossible that it could have happened way back when, right now, WHV just is not interested in collectors' sets on blu-ray outside of the TV realm and the thing is, the early years of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies have niche appeal and anything outside of the major stars

In this case, it makes some sense given how massive the library is, that it should be divided to some degree. Here, I would like to assume that they are taking a page off of how the Walt Disney Vault tackled it by releasing character sets (Mickey, Donald, Pluto, etc) and other themed sets (Silly Symphonies, Rarities, etc) which eventually left all but a tiny handful released.

Previous DVD sets were essentially a hodge-podge of best-ofs, with the only exception being the Pepe Le Pew Super Stars release which is both chronological and complete and can easily be. With these, they can take a more organized route in separating each starring characters and other miscellaneous cartoons, be it by director or era.

That is of course if the WAC crew is currently hoping to attempt to make a complete release a reality. Considering they are not even calling the Porky release "volume 1", it would seem they are hesitant to signal route just yet and are waiting for consumer feedback from this release. Though given that this set is a comprehensive start-up on Porky and given the sort of people that work on the WAC, they do want to get the ball rolling on cartoon sets like they have done for other old series sets like the Traveltalks and The Bowery Boys

Vintage Horror

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shawn McCracken
I saw your post and posted it on DVD Talk. What goes around comes around. I should have credited you.

Aw no worries! I just was wondering if my posts were only seen by me or something. LOL! Just glad to help. Great price!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
That is normally the way it works since Amazon has its own DVD-R plant. Warner Archive normally provides pressed copies if available to other retailers like Deep Discount DVD, CDImport and a few others.

And that's why I ordered the set from WAC. There have been several sets (Bowery Boys) that I ordered directly to insure they were pressed.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Does anyone know if the WB Shop has a Pre-order Price Guarantee?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if the WB Shop has a Pre-order Price Guarantee?
I don't see any mention of a Pre-order Price Guarantee on the WBshop website. They do however allow you to cancel preordered or backordered items. If you are concerned because the price has dropped since you ordered, you should call them at 866-373-4389. Have your order number ready.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question of sorts. I grew up watching Looney Tunes on Saturday mornings (as did a lot of us). Obviously I don't believe this era was represented on TV (I can't remember ever seeing a b&w episode). What era were those and is there a website that would explain the various eras?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question of sorts. I grew up watching Looney Tunes on Saturday mornings (as did a lot of us). Obviously I don't believe this era was represented on TV (I can't remember ever seeing a b&w episode). What era were those and is there a website that would explain the various eras?
I'm not 100% sure that this is what you're looking for but the Looney Tunes' Wikipedia page ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tunes ) has alot of info. The switch from color to black & white began in in 1942 when some of the cartoons started being produced in color (the first being The Hep Cat from October 1942) and the last black and white cartoon was released in 1943 (Puss n' Booty in December 1943).

The "See Also" section on Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tunes#See_also ) has a breakdown of the individual cartoons by decade.

Since it's Wikipedia, I don't know that any of this info is accurate though.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor

Not to sidestep Travis's answer, but a more reliable source than Wikipedia is Jerry Beck and his Cartoon Research website:

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A “LOONEY TUNES” AND A “MERRIE MELODIES” CARTOON?

After the 1944 releases: nothing. Before that, there was a difference.

First Looney Tunes were established to be the showcase of Warner Bros. latest “star” character – at various times “Bosko” (1930-1933), “Buddy” (1933-1935), “Beans” (1936) and finally “Porky Pig” or “Daffy Duck” (1936-1943). One-shot no-star Looney Tunes were made, but they are rare. The Merrie Melodies were established to feature one-shot characters and miscellaneous stories and settings, particularly themed around a Warner Bros. owned song. In 1934 the studio began producing Merrie Melodies in color while the Looney Tunes remained in black & white. By 1940, stars Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Sniffles and Daffy Duck were regularly appearing in Merrie Melodies. In 1944 the Looney Tunes switched to color and the distinctions between the two series officially ended.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Press release: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bugs-Bunny-Looney-Tunes-Comedy-Hour-Porky-Pig-101/23656

"Porky Pig 101" arrives from WAC after the long-planned collection's five-year internal journey, including the restoration and remastering process of 101 animated shorts. All of the cartoons in the collection have now undergone varying degrees of remastering from the best available 35mm elements, including archival nitrate sources.

This sounds somewhat promising, but I definitely need to learn more. If this is truly the next series for collectors with new cartoons, the restorations need to be darn close to the Golden Collections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks