What's new

Warner Archives Announces Porky Pig Collection 1934-1943 (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone who ordered from Classic Flix received their order yet? My order is still listed as pending. The set itself is currently listed as out of stock on their website and you can no longer order it. I guess they did well with their sale during the preorder period,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Did anyone who ordered from Classic Flix received their order yet? My order is still listed as pending. The set itself is currently listed as out of stock on their website and you can no longer order it. I guess they did well with their sale during the preorder period,
I received my order from them about 10 days ago.

ThadK

Second Unit

I received mine from Classic Flix very promptly—much sooner than the one from WBShop. This one was pressed.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have now watched disc two and except for 3 cartoons, the quality remains excellent. The 3 bad in the bunch are the 3 having the goat character called Gabby. These are very washed out. I wonder why these in particular ones would be like this?
We also fell off our chairs in surprise when we saw the brief but outrageous racial slur in Porkys Railroad.

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
I agree.....quite nice quality and I don't think these old black and white cartoons would look that much better in Blu-ray. I'm so pleased. Next up? Hopefully a Daffy Duck marathon.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
As far as the looks of the set —
It is a very basic 5 disc DVD keep case, with overlapping discs showing a picture of Porky. The paper insert cover is black with another picture of Porky. On the back is the usual blurb telling “how great” the set is. (I believe there is a YouTube “opening” video).

The cartoons themselves are either pristine or usually acceptable, except for the 3 washed out “Gabbys”. Some start with credits etc. with a black border around them, and some do not.
I am about to start disc 3. The cartoons have become more and more enjoyable as they get closer to the classic style of Warner’s. I also recognize a lot from watching TV in the black and white era. (“Ingun Joe is Ticklish”).

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
My copy direct from WA (received this past week): pressed discs, and a slightly different case: one disc on each side of hinged pages (visualize the 6-disc-capacity cases); no overlapping discs. Have only had a chance to watch eight or so randomly selected cartoons; all just fine re' A/V quality.

For me this release was the tipping point for setting up an Archive account - if this is where worthwhile classic animation releases will be, I'll have to be there. (Now the Forbidden Hollywood series and all manner of other releases are beckoning.)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I buy as many Warner Archive sets as I can and have all of the “Forbidden Hollywood”, “Vitaphones”, etc. Unfortunately they will not ship to Canada or a US postal box. Because of this I have had to wait until they are available through Amazon.com which has no trouble with PO boxes. All my discs have been of the burned variety, although I have never had any trouble with them.

ThadK

Second Unit
More complete sets would be wonderful, but they'd need better quality control and a Blu-Ray option.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I buy as many Warner Archive sets as I can and have all of the “Forbidden Hollywood”, “Vitaphones”, etc. Unfortunately they will not ship to Canada or a US postal box. Because of this I have had to wait until they are available through Amazon.com which has no trouble with PO boxes. All my discs have been of the burned variety, although I have never had any trouble with them.
They're not exactly cheap, in terms of outside US shipping, but Movies Unlimited WILL ship pressed Warner Archive discs to Canada, for what it's worth. It was how I got pressed discs of The Bowery Boys sets a few years back.

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks