What's new

Warner Archive Press Release: Young Man With A Horn (1950) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
horn.png

YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN (1950)
New 2020 1080p HD Remaster from 4K Scan of Original Nitrate Elements
Run Time: 112:00
Subtitles: English SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 – English
Aspect Ratio: 1.37:1 4x3 Full Frame
Product Color: B&W
Disc Configuration: BD 50

Special Features: Lux Radio Theater broadcast (3/3/52) with Kirk Douglas and Jo Stafford; Vintage WB Cartoons: HILLBLLY HARE (HD); HOMELESS HARE (HD) and HURDY GURDY HARE (HD); Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)
With a secondhand trumpet and the loving guidance of a brilliant bluesman, a lonely boy grows into manhood as a superb musician whose talent carries him from honky-tonks to posh supper clubs. But his desperate search for an elusive high note – trapped in his mind but impossible to play – starts him on a boozy downward slide. Charged with dynamic performances by Kirk Douglas (the title role), Doris Day, Lauren Bacall and Hoagy Carmichael, and pitch-perfect direction by Michael Curtiz (Casablanca), the film is a feast of hot, cool, moody jazz. Legendary Harry James dubbed Douglas' hornwork. Day brings another fine instrument – her voice – to four standards. Movie and music lovers will be glad to meet this Man.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
"New 2020 1080p HD Remaster from 4K Scan of Original Nitrate Elements" plus Warner Archive! Wow! This should be something special.

"Original Nitrate Elements" could be anything from the period on nitrate; fine grain (hopefully), dupe negative, dupe positive, even theatrical print. Warner's PR seems to be trying to blur things a little. You'll notice on Shop Around the Corner they say "Beautifully remastered from protection film elements made right from the original nitrate negative".
Mister Roberts they make a point of saying "from 4K Scan of Original Negative".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
"Original Nitrate Elements" could be anything from the period on nitrate; fine grain (hopefully), dupe negative, dupe positive, even theatrical print. Warner's PR seems to be trying to blur things a little. You'll notice on Shop Around the Corner they say "Beautifully remastered from protection film elements made right from the original nitrate negative".
Mister Roberts they make a point of saying "from 4K Scan of Original Negative".
So I guess that means you're not buying this release.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
So I guess that means you're not buying this release.
You're right. I'm tired of the musician tortured-by-life's-choices plot line that was popular during the 50s and I'm not always a big fan of Kirk and Lauren. Lauren in the 40's - love her. Lauren in the 50's - no thanks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You're right. I'm tired of the musician tortured-by-life's-choices plot line that was popular during the 50s and I'm not always a big fan of Kirk and Lauren. Lauren in the 40's - love her. Lauren in the 50's - no thanks.
Anyway, those of us that are fans of this movie appreciate your positive contribution to this thread.;)

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric

Kirk uses his duo-tone emotional voice here and Lauren speaks in a monotone at the bottom of her vocal range.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Since I was a kid and teenager Kirk Douglas, Doris Day, and Lauren Bacall have been occasional and yet welcome companions when I watched old movies on TV—Douglas esp. because of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but really all of them. But somehow I never saw or even heard of this movie until recently. Through the magic of film and blu-ray, however, the barriers of time almost disappeared and these old friends were back with what for me was a new story, which had more than a touch of film noir. I'm not sure if I've seen Juano Hernandez before, but he was a highlight for me. Good movie!

young man horn.jpeg
Young-Man-with-a-Horn-Kirk-Douglas-Juano-Hernandez-2.jpeg
Young-Man-with-a-Horn-Lauren-Bacall-2.jpeg
Young-Man-with-a-Horn-Kirk-Douglas-Doris-Day-2.jpeg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Since I was a kid and teenager Kirk Douglas, Doris Day, and Lauren Bacall have been occasional and yet welcome companions when I watched old movies on TV—Douglas esp. because of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but really all of them. But somehow I never saw or even heard of this movie until recently. Through the magic of film and blu-ray, however, the barriers of time almost disappeared and these old friends were back with what for me was a new story, which had more than a touch of film noir. I'm not sure if I've seen Juano Hernandez before, but he was a highlight for me. Good movie!

View attachment 149926 View attachment 149927 View attachment 149928 View attachment 149929
Juano Hernandez is a god! Check out his performances in the great The Breaking Point and in Intruder in the Dust. That's just for starters. Then imagine him in the chorus of the 1927 Broadway premiere of Show Boat!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Juano Hernandez is a god! Check out his performances in the great The Breaking Point and in Intruder in the Dust. That's just for starters. Then imagine him in the chorus of the 1927 Broadway premiere of Show Boat!
Let's not forget STARS IN MY CROWN, my favorite of his performances.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks