What's new

Warner Archive Press Release: Popeye The Sailor: The 1940s Volume 3 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

NEW 2019 1080p MASTERS-FROM 4K SCANS OF THE ORIGINAL NEGATIVES!
POPEYE THE SAILOR: THE 1940s-VOLUME 3 (1948-1949)
Run Time 121:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 – English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Prepare for 17 newly presented adventures featuring our favorite spinach-eating sailor man and his lovely leading lady, Olive Oyl. This set finishes out Popeye’s second decade of screen stardom with cartoons originally released to movie theaters in 1948 and 1949. Providing more globe-trotting and time-traveling adventures, the cartoons have been restored to look their lavish best utilizing the techniques of three classic color systems.
The Polacolor process was a short-lived...

Continue reading...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 3.01.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 3.01.53 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 188
Last edited by a moderator:

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Wow, they're really getting these out in a hurry (nothing wrong with that, though)!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I won't make the mistake this time preordering through Amazon.

No Warner Archive releases every get released on time through Amazon.

Will order via Best Buy or Deep Discount.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Still waiting for the three special double-length Popeye's, which are gorgeous and which contain extensive use of multi-plane-like dimensional techniques. A lot of effort and quality in these.:

POPEYE THE SAILOR MEETS SINDBAD THE SAILOR
POPEYE THE SAILOR MEETS ALI BABA AND THE FORTY THIEVES
ALADDIN AND HIS WONDERFUL LAMP

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Still waiting for the three special double-length Popeye's, which are gorgeous and which contain extensive use of multi-plane-like dimensional techniques. A lot of effort and quality in these.:

The last two-reeler, ALADDIN, I don't believe uses the table-top animation technique, but it's still wonderful.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Question...

Which era of Popeye cartoons were shown on TV when we were growing up?

Those who lived in NYC would remember them on WPIX Channel 11.

The opening credits had the cabin doors that opened and shut.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Question...

Which era of Popeye cartoons were shown on TV when we were growing up?

Those who lived in NYC would remember them on WPIX Channel 11.

The opening credits had the cabin doors that opened and shut.

The shorts with the cabin doors are the Fleischer shorts from the 1930s.

I never watched on WPIX but I used to see the Popeye Show on KTLA 5 from Los Angeles. It was a 2 hour block on Sunday mornings, and alternated nicely between the Fleischers’ and Famous Studios shorts. The host was Tom Hatton, a raconteur and talented artist. Hatton provided background information on the cartoons and occasionally had guests in the studio. He would often create wonderful sketches on the spot while he was talking about the shorts. Does anyone else remember this show?

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Really nice. I'm almost done with the second volume. I've been screening the cartoons two at a time before the main film in this household's movie nights. I'm in for volume 3.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Warner must have been happy with the units sold of the last volume.

If memory serves the dialogue on Popeye ten years ago was that they were more or less contractually obligated to get the whole series out, fully restored and chronological. Speculation here but it would seem WAC allows that obligation to resume, and I expect they will move through the series now with little delay. Even the press releases seem to emphasize a certain intent on getting them done.

Either way, for what it's worth, I never bought the line about these Blu-rays needing to sell like hotcakes. ;)

Happy for Volume 3!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would be shock if Warner didn't have an out if these Blu-rays didn't sell well enough as corporations always protects themselves when it comes to what "if" situations. Who ever suggested selling like "hot cakes"? There is a difference in what I stated and selling like "hot cakes".

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Jerry Beck was giving a really hard push when the first BD came out last year. Big fan of his but I was a little put off.

I'm sure they could back out if circumstances dictate, like the recession, but it doesn't seem likely at this point. My spidey sense tells me they have an end in sight. Just a guess though.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
The shorts with the cabin doors are the Fleischer shorts from the 1930s.

I never watched on WPIX but I used to see the Popeye Show on KTLA 5 from Los Angeles. It was a 2 hour block on Sunday mornings, and alternated nicely between the Fleischers’ and Famous Studios shorts. The host was Tom Hatton, a raconteur and talented artist. Hatton provided background information on the cartoons and occasionally had guests in the studio. He would often create wonderful sketches on the spot while he was talking about the shorts. Does anyone else remember this show?

I remember...a SQUIGGLE. A kid from the audience would draw one and Hatton would draw something from it. He was a good artist, to this kid at least. I think his daily show ran in the afternoons after school. There was another one called the Skipper Frank Show and one with Jimmy Weldon and not sure what stations they ran on, probably 11 and 13. Not sure what cartoons they showed, if any.

Last edited:

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor

Hopefully these will be ported over to a future BD. They were already restored in HD for the old DVD sets. It would be really nice to have them.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
I'll either get this from Best Buy, which was where i got the second volume from, or Deepdiscount as Wal-mart and amazon are way too late with posting these releases and has there been an official release date for Volume 3 as I didn't spot that info anywhere in the press release and I asked the Archives about it but haven't heard from them via Facebook as of this writing.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Nice Surprise ! I was expecting Popeye Vol.3 in December. Maybe now we will have Vol.4 in December 1950 to 1951 16 more shorts ! : )

Rick, no release date has been specified for Volume 3 as of this posting but if I come across that info or if Ronald has that handy, then we'll make sure to post it on here. I'm most definitely looking forward to this.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
I'm also figuring on the 1950s sets, there would be either 3 or maybe 4 more volumes totals on average releasing of 15-17 cartoons per two year increments to officially complete the series, so if they go that route, this should actually get done by next year sometime, maybe around the fall or for sure by the holidays a year from now, if released once every three or four months max time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks