1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Popeye The Sailor: The 1940s Volume 3 (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 16, 2019.

1. David Norman

David Norman Producer

If you have 2 or 3 titles you want I'd also suggest checking Bullmoose.com.
    A small indie store in Maine/NH who has a rather loyal following.
    They have solid preorder prices on WAC and good track record at shipping items on time plus in interesting Frequent Flyer point system

Free Shipping at $30 (actually a little less than $30 )
    No sales tax unless you live in Maine.

Most people in NH/Maine know the store and shop at their B&M if possible. They are one of the few stores that carry most of the WAC in store.

A few current prices
    Popeye v2 15.97
    Thin Man 19.97 (pretty common price for newer release 21.99 MSRP WAC titles)
    Jetsons 21.97
    The Stand 21.97

I suggest ignoring the header than all the ALLIED VAUGHN discs carry which appears to a template
    " MADE ON DEMAND
    This Item Is Made On Demand: Could Take 2-3 Weeks For Delivery"

The listing usually tells whether it's In Stock or backorder/ Coming soon --
    I think in general they don't charge CC until teh item ships and I'm 95% sure they split shipments if you order instock and preorder mixed orders

Peter Keller and JohnMor like this.
  2. rmw650

rmw650 Second Unit

Richard W
    David, I know all about them and they actually have some pretty decent prices for DVDs and Blu-Rays as well and shipping is reasonable to boot so i also recommend them too for getting new releases and the like.

3. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Cinematographer

Brad
    Shucks I haven’t even got around to purchasing Vol 2 yet and here comes Vol 3.

Not to mention I still have one more, no now make that two more (new release) volumes to complete my Pink Panther Animated Series.

4. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

Of course, I don't know what their plans are (maybe they don't either) but when Sony released the chronological Three Stooges shorts, they did them in sets of 2 DVDs covering three calendar years. But when they got to 1955, they put all of 1955-1959 in one box since it encompassed the last Shemp shorts, the majority of which were remakes, and the final set of shorts with Joe Besser.

Maybe the later 1950s Popeyes could be handled like this, in a bigger set.

It doesn't matter to me, as long as they all come out.

WaltWiz1901 likes this.
  5. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I was addicted to Popeye as a child, and thought I basically memorized the cartoons. When they came out on disc, I bought all the official releases. As I watched the colour 1940s, I was waiting for a scene from one particular cartoon that I remembered well but it hasn’t appeared so far. I will describe it and hope you can identify it. If not, I am either confused, or crazy!

Here it is: Popeye is on leave from World War II, (or he is returning from the war). He finds Olive and his nephews quite well adapted to life without him. She (á la Rosie the Riveter) drives by and the tires on her car have been replaced by spoked wheels with an old shoe attached to the end of each spoke. He says “gal durn rubber shortage”!

I waited for this scene and have not seen it yet.

Mark Y likes this.
  6. ThadK

ThadK Second Unit

That's "A Jolly Good Furlough", which is on the third volume of the black-and-white cartoons.

Peter Keller and JohnMor like this.
  7. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    Thanks! I guess I figured it would be on the 1940s sets. I am glad at least that I am not crazy!

JohnMor and Jack K like this.
  8. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    See... this is why I love this forum.

Mark Y, B-ROLL, LeoA and 1 other person like this.
  9. warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    Warner Bros. does the best job on giving us restored cartoons without scrubbing all the detail away like Disney. You can still see original artifacts and I love that. These are great cartoons -- however -- the black and white ones are a little edgier and for more adult audiences. It would be nice to see those as well -- as well as the earlier color ones that are longer.

Mark Y, B-ROLL and Conrad_SSS like this.
  10. rmw650

rmw650 Second Unit

Richard W
    Mark Y likes this.
  11. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I know they probably also have their supporters, but when did those “crappy” Popeye cartoons with very poor animation and Bluto being called “Brutus” begin? — 1960s? I remember even as a child thinking they were inferior, with animation more like “Baby Hewie”.

warnerbro likes this.
  12. rmw650

rmw650 Second Unit

Richard W
    I believe those came out in the 1960s as there is a Volume One of these shorts already out but that was released many a year or so ago...this is what I'm talking about...http://www.jobamov.com/Popeye-the-Sailor-The-1960s-Classics-Complete-Collection_p_624.html

[​IMG]

13. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    OMG the crummy 60's series was the one I watched every day.

Every.
    Damned.
    Day.

It was such a weird series. Super simplistic character models and very random plots. Popeye lost in a giant supermarket run by Brutus (not Bluto). Long stretches of Popeye holding the can of spinach in the air with rumbling music until something knocks it out of his hand. The use of a lot of the comic strip characters like Eugene the Jeep and Sea Hag was kinda cool, but the animation was terrible. However, this got me obsessed with Popeye as a kid. I still hum Brutus' theme.

14. Dave Jessup

Dave Jessup Stunt Coordinator

As a kid of four or five years old, through at least 8 or 9 years old, my local station - a "satellite" of Syracuse NY's NBC outlet (Elmira wasn't a big enough city to support its "own" affiliate) allowed me to see Popeye... almost every day of the week. "Denny Sullivan's Cartoon Carnival" weekday late afternoons (I believe around 5pm); Salty Sam on Saturday mornings; likely a potpourri show on Sundays.

55 years later, and I can remember seeing every one of these cartoons - WSYR had the AAP Fleischer / Famous package, along with the NTA Betty Boops, and the King Features made-for-TV, er, "masterpieces."

Seeing the surrealistic Bettys at age 5 or so no doubt led to my loving the "out of the ordinary" shows like "I Dream of Jeanie" and "Star Trek" a few years later. The Boops were dropped from the station after a short time, and the Fleischer / Famous went away a little while later - but not before being burned so deeply into my head that there are no surprises as these packages come out - just pleasure for the "good" cartoons of seeing them again.

For these current blu-ray releases, it's the first time I'm seeing them in color at all, but the black-and-white-transmission memories are still there: whether "Pop-Pie A La Mode" (yes, that was aired repeatedly), or the anticipated "...The Ace of Space" somewhere down the line. And yes, I too noticed the difference in quality between the theatrical shorts and the King Features latter-day films. Those '60s films I can be comfortable leaving in memory.

Meanwhile, though I now recognize the change in character and production as we progress through the later 1940s into the '50s, I still relish the pleasure of a five to eight-year-old's enjoyment of cartoons!! - at the cusp of sixty years old.

ThadK likes this.
  15. Message #35 of 132 Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    Yeah, that would suck if they released it in 2D.:(

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  17. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    Yeah, there are actually some really good ones in there. You should check out the Warner Archive release.

18. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    maybe at the end of this run, it will get an upgrade and complete all of the 60's series?

JoeDoakes likes this.
  19. rmw650

rmw650 Second Unit

Richard W
    Even better, but still haven't seen it listed on any of the main shopping websites or WBSHOP.com as of this writing.

20. David Norman

David Norman Producer

https://www.deepdiscount.com/popeye-the-sailor-the-1940s-vol-3/883929692583

If it's up on one ALLIANCE site, it should be up soon on B&N and the rest. Bullmoose is often a few days behind the ALLIANCE shops

Actually all the September items appear to be up for order now if you want something to grab Free Shipping