What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert:

I hope my post wasn't inappropriate. I know that using the Amazon links posted by HTF helps HTF and that is why I did not include any link with my posting which would have been wrong. I just wanted to alert my fellow HTFers that the listing is starting to show up with online retailers. If my post was wrong or offensive, I sincerely apologize.

Sean
I'm just pointing out that this Blu-ray release isn't coming out until two months from today and that soon enough the Amazon link will become "active" in the near future.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
That is my feeling on the movie too. The 3 fairy tales which add up to roughly 50 minutes are good but the other 80 plus talky minutes are a tough slog. Kids today would be bored with this after 30 minutes. I have only seen it twice on the widescreen laserdisc but I am willing to give it another shot on this blu ray which is sure to be nice presentation. I am sure if I saw it in the theaters as a kid I would have found memories of it. As it stands now I'm a George Pal fan but this is my least favorite of his films.
Counting all the movies he either produced or directed, it’s either my second or third favorite. The Time Machine is #1 for sure, the either TWWotBG, or Destination Moon, depending on my mood. Tom Thumb isn’t far behind either. It feels like a feature-length Brothers Grimm segment as it is. My least favorites are The Power, Conquest of Space and Atlantis the Lost Continent.

I only saw TWWotBG for the first time in 2013, so I have no life-long history with the movie, but I absolutely loved it, nevertheless, and didn’t find it to be a slog at all. Though I can see and understand why some would feel that way. The fairy tale segments are definitely the highlight and main reason to watch it. But I think it works very well as a whole.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
I have noticed that the TCM store is now taking pre-orders. Is that a reliable source to buy from? Normally I always purchase my movies from Amazon, but waiting for them to begin taking pre-orders is making me nervous. What do you guys think?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My experience is that they’re reliable but slow and not great at customer service. You’re also more likely to pay a higher price there and shipping charges.

I really wouldn’t be concerned about it not being up on Amazon or other places yet. An exact street date hasn’t been confirmed last I saw, though it’s expected late March. Plenty of time. It’s also not intended to be a limited edition - if the initial pressing sells out, Warner will simply make more.

If Amazon is your preferred retailer, I think you’ll be fine waiting for their listing.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Goodness, gracious, the hand-wringing! I think the folks at WAC have been nagged about this title for so long, that they have a pretty good idea of what the demand will be and will adjust their initial MOD runs to fill those demands. Early preordering will also help them gage the demand for when release day actually happens in late March.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I have noticed that the TCM store is now taking pre-orders. Is that a reliable source to buy from? Normally I always purchase my movies from Amazon, but waiting for them to begin taking pre-orders is making me nervous. What do you guys think?
How strange of the TCM Shop to still be taking pre-orders, since they are shutting down next month. I guess they will transfer your order to Critics Choice.

"Dear TCM Shop Customer,
The TCM Shop website is winding down on February 22nd. But don’t worry, there is still plenty of classic movie fun in your future.
Our approved partners at Critics’ Choice Video, the classic movie and TV authority since 1987, carry all the entertainment you love, including silent films, rare classic gems, and old favorites. We are confident you’ll enjoy this new shopping experience and it’s easy to get started!"

Not sure why waiting for Amazon makes you nervous, since it was decreed the preferred provider for Warner Archive discs when the WB Shop got out of the disc business.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Keep in mind that WAC made a deal with Amazon for them to be their storefront a little over a year ago. Since that time I have ordered my WAC titles exclusively from Amazon and have had them delivered on time with no problems.

John Skoda

Second Unit
Maybe this isn't a new thing, but I hope it's not a trend--putting out a press release for something that has no release date yet.

It's like, here's information to get you excited (and frustrated) about a product that's probably coming out, but we don't know when and you can't actually buy it now.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
WAC will announce a title with out an actual street date, as you say to excite people. The actual release date is usually announced two or three days later. That date is usually two months from the announcement.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

John Skoda

Second Unit
WAC will announce a title with out an actual street date, as you say to excite people. The actual release date is usually announced two or three days later. That date is usually two months from the announcement.
OK, I didn't know that's the way they often do it. Just seems odd because seeing a release like this says to me "make a note somewhere to remember to check back in a week or so to see if you can actually order it." Or, more likely, you could just forget about it!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
How strange of the TCM Shop to still be taking pre-orders, since they are shutting down next month. I guess they will transfer your order to Critics Choice.

"Dear TCM Shop Customer,
The TCM Shop website is winding down on February 22nd. But don’t worry, there is still plenty of classic movie fun in your future.
Our approved partners at Critics’ Choice Video, the classic movie and TV authority since 1987, carry all the entertainment you love, including silent films, rare classic gems, and old favorites. We are confident you’ll enjoy this new shopping experience and it’s easy to get started!"

Not sure why waiting for Amazon makes you nervous, since it was decreed the preferred provider for Warner Archive discs when the WB Shop got out of the disc business.
I was going to to say "Don't use TCM. They have horrid CS (non-responsive and/or not helpful), high prices, slow shipping, etc." but with them closing it's kind of a moot point.

Critic's Choice Video is just as high priced (product *and* shipping) but I can's speak as to their CS as I won't use them due to their high pricing and shipping costs. That doesn't stop them from sending me their catalogs... which go straight from the mail box to the trash can. After receiving one catalog which had a "decent" coupon (or so I thought) that got me to check out some titles I found their prices *after* the coupon were what most every place else was selling the product every day - and their shipping was rather high.

All that to say "Wait for Amazon to get stock or wait for a sale at deepdiscount." Either will get you a better price.

John Skoda

Second Unit
I was going to to say "Don't use TCM. They have horrid CS (non-responsive and/or not helpful), high prices, slow shipping, etc." but with them closing it's kind of a moot point.

Yes, I'm not comfortable ordering a March release from a site that's shutting down in February!

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Maybe this isn't a new thing, but I hope it's not a trend--putting out a press release for something that has no release date yet.

It's like, here's information to get you excited (and frustrated) about a product that's probably coming out, but we don't know when and you can't actually buy it now.
I guess you don't follow the Kino Lorber Insider Announcement thread. Many, if not most, of their announcements are "coming soon".

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
OK. I'll take everyone's advice and go with Amazon. Just happened to "stumble" on the TCM site, but I really didn't see a note that they were "closing their doors." Oh well. Hoping that the end of March gets here quickly. BTW, does anyone besides me have the LD of "Grimm?" It doesn't have the prologue at all, but begins after the cannon fire, etc. as I recall.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I've rewatched two of Yvette Mimieux' films over the weekend: "Diamond Head" and "Light in the Piazza". I'd forgotten what a luminescent presence she was on screen. Two very different roles, but she was good in both. I can't wait to finally see her in "Brothers Grimm" appropriately playing a princess.

I'm going to revisit some of her other films. She has quite an impressive filmography.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
OK. I'll take everyone's advice and go with Amazon. Just happened to "stumble" on the TCM site, but I really didn't see a note that they were "closing their doors." Oh well. Hoping that the end of March gets here quickly. BTW, does anyone besides me have the LD of "Grimm?" It doesn't have the prologue at all, but begins after the cannon fire, etc. as I recall.
I still have my LD and vowed never to get rid of it until it came out on DVD. Now I can rid myself of it for a spectacular Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks