What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I never thought we would see this restored and I'm excited to own this Cinerama addition to my collection. Sadly not a great movie but it's finally getting the respect that it deserves in film history.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
View attachment 125976

COMING SOON!
NEW 2022 1080p HD Masters from 4K scans of original Cinerama Camera Negatives!
TWO-DISC DELUXE SPECIAL EDITION
THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM (1962)
DELUXE 2-DISC SPECIAL EDITION
2-BD50s
Disc 1-Restored Cinerama image letterboxed
Disc 2-Restored Cinerama image in SMILEBOX format, to approximate the curved theater screen experience in the home
Disc 1-Aspect Ratio 16x9 2.85 Letterbox
Disc 2-Aspect Ratio 16x9 2.85 Smilebox
Audio Specs DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround
140 Minutes-Roadshow presentation with Overture, Intermission , Entr'acte, and Exit Music.
SPECIAL FEATURES: New featurettes RESCUING A FANTASY CLASSIC (HD); THE EPIC ART OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM (HD); THE WONDERFUL CAREER OF GEORGE PAL (HD), and more, plus multiple trailers and audio pieces

The story behind the brothers who created beloved fairy tales come to life, with reenactments of three of their stories. The film tells the story of the brothers' long struggle for recognition and the sacrifices they and their families made to achieve their goals. Between dreamer Wilhelm (Laurence Harvey) and practical Jacob (Karl Boehm), some marvelous fairy tales develop. In "The Dancing Princess," a princess (Yvette Mimieux) falls in love with a charming woodsman (Russ Tamblyn). In "The Cobbler and the Elves," a Christmas miracle of dedicated labor helps the cobbler out when he most needs it. And in the last story, a fire-breathing dragon threatens the kingdom until a lowly servant (Buddy Hackett) saves the day. Shot on location in West Germany, the innovative production features Puppetoons, a technique developed by Oscar-winning special effects expert George Pal. Meticulously restored from its original Cinerama negatives, this fanciful delight is a treat for audiences of all ages.....and this Deluxe Two Disc Edition gives the viewer the opportunity to watch the film either in a traditional letterbox format, or in the Smilebox format which attempts to re-create the immersive Cinerama experience with a simulated curve to the screen. Both versions bring together the three original Cinerama panels with virtually no trace of the lines that joined them together when originally projected in theaters back in 1962.
Warner Archive extends its deepest thanks to Cinerama restorationists David Strohmaier and Tom March, and Decurion Corp. (parent company of Cinerama Inc.), who partnered with us to bring this project to fruition.
All I can say is "Long Time Coming!" I was a Junior in high school and working as an usher/doorman at the Uptown Cinerama in Wichita, Kansas in 1962 when this wonderful release premiered. What a fantastic experience this was for everyone who experienced it in the Glory of Cinerama!! David Strohmaier has worked his magic again! I learned a few months back that this BD would be released to coincide with the 60th Anniversary of this film's release. Is that still the plan? Cannot wait!!!!!

Real Name
Terry Watson
Re the surround channels on this film ,when I saw the only 3 panel print at Bradford a few times I remember hearing the cannon fire at the start come down the sides of the theatre , on a video I have seen the late John Michell re recording
an original 7 track soundtrack of Grimm which has VS on to modern magnetic stock with the channel layout as

1-5 Screen Channels
6 - Right Auditorium
7- Left Auditorium and Rear.

Us Cinerama fans have a lot to thank John Michell for.
John was a true gentleman. Cinerama fans around the world have much to thank John for. I had the opportunity to see The Best of Cinerama and How The West Was Won in 3-strip his backyard Cinerama "theatre" in Willoughby, on Sydney's lower north shore.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I was lucky as an 11 year old to see this In CINERAMA downtown Chicago. A must buy for me.

1643250535933.png

1643250569875.png

1643250595776.png

1643250615558.png

1643250637459.png

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
All I can say is "Long Time Coming!" I was a Junior in high school and working as an usher/doorman at the Uptown Cinerama in Wichita, Kansas in 1962 when this wonderful release premiered. What a fantastic experience this was for everyone who experienced it in the Glory of Cinerama!! David Strohmaier has worked his magic again! I learned a few months back that this BD would be released to coincide with the 60th Anniversary of this film's release. Is that still the plan? Cannot wait!!!!!

1643250863310.png

1643250829966.png

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
n. It's truly from a different era and watching the trailer again I thought that you would be hard-pressed to find kids today who would sit through it. I would never have had the patience for the dance sequences as a kid although of course my taste changed over the years.

That said, you sound very much like me who values all of these Cinerama titles as unique artifacts of a system that we will never see again. I will still buy the blu-ray and watch it again for those reasons. Others will buy it because they genuinely enjoy the film, and that's fine as well.
Bless you, Rob. Today's audiences are somewhat spoiled. I'm still trying to learn patience during a film's "slow period."
--jthree

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
My mom took me to the RKO Boston Cinerama theater to see it on a Sunday matinee. We'd also gone there to see the reissue of This Is Cinerama and later HTWWW. I adored that grand moviehouse, such a classy operation. There was a full house that afternoon and the animated dragon and elves sequences got kids past the musical performances. It was spectacular, and even at that age I was highly conscious of the process and at least as much interested in that as in the movie. I understood the setup and accepted the panel lines, occasionally looking back at the three projection beams crossing on their way to the huge screen. An expert presentation and beautiful sound fidelity coming, I assume, from big Altec speakers built to move the air up to the balcony without excessive volume. I remember us staying seated at the end as people walked up the aisles to the whistling and harpsichord of that merry tune, an unforgettable day for a kid. I think a lot of us are hoping to recapture a piece of our childhood with this blu ray.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I think the fairy tales are charming, while the Leigh Harline background score is sweet, and the Bob Merrill tunes are appropriately whimsical. The frame story of the brothers themselves is pretty mundane, but the picturesque European locations help abet that somewhat.
Spot on and the camera effects and filming techniques are breathtaking in this. The audience gasped a few times when I saw it’s restoration premiere Sunday at MOMA. The join lines are barely noticeable but for a few times as certain verticals are strategically placed.
throughout the film to disguise them for the most part i.e. trees, building edges, interior wall edges, etc. The technicolor restoration looks fantastic!

Abel Gance’s Napoleon next please!

Last edited:

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Abel Gance’s Napoleon next please!

I wonder what you mean by this, considering how many years Kevin Brownlow worked on it and issued a stunning Blu-ray a few years ago. Did you buy it?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
My mom took me to the RKO Boston Cinerama theater to see it on a Sunday matinee. We'd also gone there to see the reissue of This Is Cinerama and later HTWWW. I adored that grand moviehouse, such a classy operation. There was a full house that afternoon and the animated dragon and elves sequences got kids past the musical performances. It was spectacular, and even at that age I was highly conscious of the process and at least as much interested in that as in the movie. I understood the setup and accepted the panel lines, occasionally looking back at the three projection beams crossing on their way to the huge screen. An expert presentation and beautiful sound fidelity coming, I assume, from big Altec speakers built to move the air up to the balcony without excessive volume. I remember us staying seated at the end as people walked up the aisles to the whistling and harpsichord of that merry tune, an unforgettable day for a kid. I think a lot of us are hoping to recapture a piece of our childhood with this blu ray.

1643296147653.png

1643296178419.png

1643296200466.png

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Roland: Thanks so much for posting this article! I was trying to remember exactly when "Grimm" opened. You must have quite a collection of articles such as this. Good job! I will always remember my days spent working at the Uptown, which BTW was built, I believe, in the 1930's or so. It was completely remodeled for the installation of Cinerama. Beautiful theatre, which is a dinner-theatre venue now.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Roland: Thanks so much for posting this article! I was trying to remember exactly when "Grimm" opened. You must have quite a collection of articles such as this. Good job! I will always remember my days spent working at the Uptown, which BTW was built, I believe, in the 1930's or so. It was completely remodeled for the installation of Cinerama. Beautiful theatre, which is a dinner-theatre venue now.

More info on the Wichita Uptown.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks