What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (12 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
As a Historical epic movie fan Helen of Troy is ok. I will pick it at some point but Land of the Pharaohs I find deadly dull with pretty much 0 action or battle scenes. But Happy for those who have been waiting so long for it. I would much rather have Scaramouche and Knights of the Round table hopefully they are on the way soon.
Even though I fully agree I *will* be picking up both of these as I'm a sucker for Historical Epic movies simply because I expect them to look much better than their respective DVD release.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

TCM gets it right! And from Tim Millard
1679685882926.png

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
TCM gets it right! And from Tim Millard View attachment 179500
Seeing as TCM already (possibly inadvertently) let the cat out of the bag, I'm guessing the March 27th announcement will be about the glorious double whammy of "Helen of Troy"and "Land of the Pharaohs"
Let there be rejoicing from Sparta to Thebes.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Yeah but I got the TCM Film Festival email and apparently one of the things being shown, at this years festival with Edward James Olmos and Lou Diamond Phillips both in attendance at the screening for the 35th Anniversary. Stand and Deliver, could that be possible, I mean that's only two announcements that we have so far but that would make an excellent one for a third choice!

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Well, the image Robert posted does say Part I, meaning that the titles announced on Monday won’t be the whole slate for May. Therefore, we could hear announcements of the two epics and maybe one or two other titles, with the rest to follow at a later date. Over on the other forum, it’s been speculated that the special guest may be connected to the announcements and possibly involve animation (with Jerry Beck suggested as a possibility).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
During April will probably have to program the DVR to start 7 minutes early to include the cartoons they are showing, as they air before the scheduled start of the movie. Would have preferred TCM aired the cartoons at the scheduled movie start and delay the movie 7 minutes. Could always fast forward if not interested in cartoon. I don't think my cable schedule will have the cartoons as separate programs, though that would also be nice.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I have always been able to record cartoons separately on TCM.
I think April is a bit different than the regularly scheduled Popeye and MGM cartoons usually aired on Saturday mornings along with a serial chapter and a "B" Western usually with Tim Holt. The schedule, so far, has not listed exact times for the cartoons in April. We soon will see but so far Verizon Fios, my provider, doesn't show the cartoons mentioned in the printed schedule as separate programs. Other providers may have other results and/or Verizon's schedule may be updated. All speculation at this point. It's also possible the cartoons will be included in the Watch TCM app.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I think April is a bit different than the regularly scheduled Popeye and MGM cartoons usually aired on Saturday mornings along with a serial chapter and a "B" Western usually with Tim Holt. The schedule, so far, has not listed exact times for the cartoons in April. We soon will see but so far Verizon Fios, my provider, doesn't show the cartoons mentioned in the printed schedule as separate programs. Other providers may have other results and/or Verizon's schedule may be updated. All speculation at this point. It's also possible the cartoons will be included in the Watch TCM app.

You are correct. I have DirecTV and the cartoons are not listed.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, we should be getting more WAC title announcements today via the Podcast.

We have no idea what time that Podcast is going to be posted so I am expecting someone here will just happen upon it when it suddenly goes live.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is from THE EXTRAS Facebook Page

George Feltenstein is announcing the Warner Archive's MAY PART 1 releases on THE EXTRAS podcast this evening/Monday the 27th. Exact time is TBD but I will provide another update as soon as I can.
This is NOT just a rundown of the titles. George gives background on each film and the remaster. And a Special Guest is joining. The episode length is over 30 minutes so there is a lot more information in the podcast than what will be posted online.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I can't wait to see it either (never have.) One of Martin Scorsese's essentials. Hawks didn't like shooting in Cinemascope but Scorsese and others say he used it well. In any event, will be very glad to view this in its restored form.
I still bought the washed out dvd, a while back...and the coral score as the sand comes in a burys her alive is wonderful!!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Seeing as TCM already (possibly inadvertently) let the cat out of the bag, I'm guessing the March 27th announcement will be about the glorious double whammy of "Helen of Troy"and "Land of the Pharaohs"
Let there be rejoicing from Sparta to Thebes.
300 movie boat GIF by 300: Rise of an Empire

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Yeah but I got the TCM Film Festival email and apparently one of the things being shown, at this years festival with Edward James Olmos and Lou Diamond Phillips both in attendance at the screening for the 35th Anniversary. Stand and Deliver, could that be possible, I mean that's only two announcements that we have so far but that would make an excellent one for a third choice!
I always figured "Stand And Deliver" would eventually get picked up by Criterion. Seemed like a natural for them. A WAC release, while less likely to be very extras--laden (a new doc/featurette about the real Jaimie Escalante or maybe a reunion of some of the actual students +/or their actor counterparts would sure be nice) as a Criterion would probably be, would still be very welcome.. Esp. considerng the film has only ever been available on disc in a now--25--yr-old *fullscreen transfer.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

First two films announcements for May via The Extras Podcast:
  • Border Incident (1949)
  • Clash By Night (1952)
Jerry Beck also joined George and Tim to announce Looney Tunes: Collector's Choice (Volume 1).

The rest of the May slate will be announced in a future episode of The Extras.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks