What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (2 Viewers)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Both DVDs are mediocre at best. These Blu-rays will be a significant upgrade unlike some prior Blu-ray releases of films in which the previously released DVDs were really good too, but at 480p.
Bravo Mr C you pegged Border Incident I thought it would be Mystery Street

plektret

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I'm not sensing much enthusiasm for Border Incident or Clash by Night, both worthy but not top tier, although the latter will appeal to Stanwyck or Monroe completists. I'm in no hurry to upgrade these but have been buying other WA titles recently. Interesting that they are MGM and RKO titles though.
🙋‍♂️Here's a Marilyn completist. Big fan of Lang and Stanwyck as well, although I prefer Lang's silent films.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Land Of The Pharoahs (1955) – a Blu-ray HD remaster introduced by Martin Scorsese

06/23/55
1062355.jpg

Must be a trade ad
1lotf.jpg

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
You have to love the Hollywood hyperbole on these epic film posters - "Warner Brothers take pride in presenting the mightiest screen project in motion picture history" & "Never again in your lifetime will you see on the screen...a drama so spectacular!". Great stuff!

I have the Belgium film posters of Land Of The Pharaohs & Helen Of Troy on the wall, very colourful & small enough to not cost an arm & a leg to frame.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
You have to love the Hollywood hyperbole on these epic film posters - "Warner Brothers take pride in presenting the mightiest screen project in motion picture history" & "Never again in your lifetime will you see on the screen...a drama so spectacular!". Great stuff!
Shocked with the TCM article mentioning them they were not announced YET

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Perhaps the Archive is saving them for Part II.
Yep - what a year for them - he has kept his word! I love the new format of podcast news love hearing about where the prints are from the backstory too -- if those two epics are announced and think about what else he said too last year that Three Little Words was on the lot - that must have been scanned I do not think they want Nitrate sitting on the lot too long they want them scanned and returned. He also hinted that Captain Blood was being worked on he also said The Roaring 20's yes but no other news.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
They say Public Domain yet WB was rumored to have legal issue with Clarence Day estate
I believe the play on which the movie is based is still under copyright protection. The book on which the play is based may also be. The holders of those rights could remove all the public domain home video discs if the holder choose to enforce their rights. Whether that is Warner Bros. ,the Day estate, or someone else I have no clue. If copyright protection is not defended, anyone can release anything on home video. No one is going to be arrested for doing so. If the copyright is defended they will get sued.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I believe the play on which the movie is based is still under copyright protection. The book on which the play is based may also be. The holders of those rights could remove all the public domain home video discs if the holder choose to enforce their rights. Whether that is Warner Bros. ,the Day estate, or someone else I have no clue. If copyright protection is not defended, anyone can release anything on home video. No one is going to be arrested for doing so. If the copyright is defended they will get sued.
Classic Flix is releasing a DVD in April.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
The archive still hasn't announced "Life With Father" and that was restored a few years ago.
I'm assuming this restoration you're talking about was a three-Technicolor negative recombine, like all the amazing pre-1955 Tech. movies the WB Archives has been preparing of late. Is that the version TCM's been running recently? I'm also assuming that what Classic Flix is releasing next month on DVD is NOT a new recombine provided by WB, but simply a nice version of this public domain film, much like Kino's A STAR IS BORN was perfectly fine, until the recent Archives restoration blew it away. If all of these assumptions are correct, fans of the movie should probably DVR the TCM version, buy this same exact version on BD when WB is finally able to put it out, and ignore all other video releases, which won't have the three-negative recombine advantage.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm assuming this restoration you're talking about was a three-Technicolor negative recombine, like all the amazing pre-1955 Tech. movies the WB Archives has been preparing of late. Is that the version TCM's been running recently? I'm also assuming that what Classic Flix is releasing next month on DVD is NOT a new recombine provided by WB, but simply a nice version of this public domain film, much like Kino's A STAR IS BORN was perfectly fine, until the recent Archives restoration blew it away. If all of these assumptions are correct, fans of the movie should probably DVR the TCM version, buy this same exact version on BD when WB is finally able to put it out, and ignore all other video releases, which won't have the three-negative recombine advantage.
I don’t think what ran on HBO Max meets Warner Archives criteria for a Blu-ray release.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
I don’t think what ran on HBO Max meets Warner Archives criteria for a Blu-ray release.
So, if I understand the situation correctly, what has been "restored" so far (whether presented on HBO Max or TCM), is not up to the standards we've been getting lately from the WB Archives three-strip recombines. That means we must make due with what is currently available, even as we hope, and wait, for WAC's eventual, three neg-recombined BD release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks