What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (6 Viewers)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
For TCM’s April schedule, click here.

Most films will be grouped by director or actor. TCM obtained the right to broadcast "My Fair Lady" from Paramount. Glad to see cartoons being shown throughout the month. That is something I wish TCM did on a regular basis. With a full month of Warner Bros gold there are still great films not included. One month just isn't enough to celebrate 100 years.

Per the Deadline article TCM will show new remastered editions of the following films. Some will also be available on HBOMAX. Most have already been announced or released by the archive including all five April 2023 releases.

East of Eden (1955) – a 4k restoration introduced by filmmakers Wes Anderson and Joanna Hogg
Rio Bravo (1959) – a 4k restoration introduced by filmmaker Martin Scorsese (and as previously reported on Deadline getting its World Premiere on Opening Night of the TCM Classic Film Festival April 13)
Land Of The Pharoahs (1955) – a Blu-ray HD remaster introduced by Martin Scorsese
A Lion Is In The Streets (1953) – a Blu-ray HD remaster introduced by Daphne Dentz and Robyn
Sklaren from the Warner Bros. Discovery Library
Rachel, Rachel (1968) – a Blu-ray HD remaster introduced by filmmaker and actor Ethan Hawke
Safe In Hell (1931) – a Blu-ray HD remaster introduced by filmmaker Alexander Payne
Storm Warning (1951) – a Blu-ray HD remaster introduced by Martin Scorsese
The Strawberry Blonde (1941) – a Blu-ray HD remaster introduced by Wes Anderson
Helen Of Troy (1956) – a Blu-ray HD remaster
One Way Passage (1932) – a Blu-ray HD remaster

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
As a Historical epic movie fan Helen of Troy is ok. I will pick it at some point but Land of the Pharaohs I find deadly dull with pretty much 0 action or battle scenes. But Happy for those who have been waiting so long for it. I would much rather have Scaramouche and Knights of the Round table hopefully they are on the way soon.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
As a Historical epic movie fan Helen of Troy is ok. I will pick it at some point but Land of the Pharaohs I find deadly dull with pretty much 0 action or battle scenes. But Happy for those who have been waiting so long for it. I would much rather have Scaramouche and Knights of the Round table hopefully they are on the way soon.
Oo, I love both of them, two fun epics & two great music scores. I love the pyramid sealing shut at the end of Pharaohs, & the siege of Troy in Helen is amazing, as is the duel between Achilles & Hector (there was no actual siege battle in Troy [2004] & they mucked up the duel as well - but I still quite like it). In fact these two top my list of favourite ancient world epics. I'd also love Scaramouche & Knights Of The Round Table (& The Adventures Of Quentin Durward & even King Richard & The Crusaders), I'm thinking we're getting Scaramouche soon, I don't know why, just a hunch.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I just watched The Time Tunnel episode 'Revenge Of The Gods' that primarily used Helen Of Troy footage for almost all its running time. Dee Hartford made a fetching Helen.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
I've got my own WAC wish list of titles that fall under the historical/adventure/peplum categories:

This semi-announcement of "Helen of Troy" and "Land of the Pharaohs", the movies that top my list, suggest that we're enticingly close to getting actual Blu-ray releases. Fantastic!

The rest of my list:
"Noah's Ark"(1928)
-impossibly lavish part talkie directed by Michael Curtiz containing the flood to end all onscreen floods
"The Silver Chalice"(1954)
-flamboyantly entertaining work from Jack Palance and Virginia Mayo; daringly creative production design
"The Viking"(1928)
-excellent color silent; a DVD was announced years ago then cancelled - who knows why?
but it still shows up on TCM from time to time. Donald Crisp plays Leif Erikson
"Scaramouche"(1952)
-Stewart Granger, Eleanor Parker and Mel Ferrer are all perfectly cast and the climactic swordfight is epic
"The Master of Ballantrae"(1953)
-Errol Flynn's last top quality swashbuckler; he's older, yes, but still has magic to spare
filmed on location largely in the Scottish highlands
"Quentin Durward"(1955)
-I think this is the best of Robert Taylor's 50's swashbucklers, though it was the only one to fail at the box- office. The climactic duel in a burning belltower is a stunner
"At Sword's Point"(1952)
-The sons (and daughter) of the Musketeers join up to right another set of wrongs.
-Cornel Wilde and Maureen O'Hara both get plenty of opportunity to show off their swordsmanship
"The Prince and the Pauper"(1937)
-This adaptation of Mark Twain's famous story isn't really a swashbuckler but Errol Flynn's presence can't help but give off a bracing whiff of adventure. And the Mauch twins fill out the title role(s) to perfection
"The King's Thief"(1955)
-Always thought Edmund Purdom cut a fine figure during his brief 50's heyday. This Technicolor adventure teams him with Ann Blyth and (in a rare villainous role) David Niven
"Diane"(1956-Not much in the way of swashbuckling action but lavishly mounted (it's set among the royals in 16th century France). Lana Turner parades around in a series of eye-popping outfits. But relative newcomer Marisa Pavan steals the picture. Fascinating to see a highly photogenic young Roger Moore (years before Bond) as Lana's beloved.

Warners has the rights to tons of RKO and Monogram titles but I don't know if their holdings include these two:
"The Last Days of Pompeii"(RKO-1935)-absorbing Roman epic put together by the King Kong team.
-Preston Foster and Basil Rathbone star and of course it all climaxes with a superb volcanic eruption

"Aladdin and His Lamp"(Monogram-1952) Walter Wanger produced this bit of Arabian Nights merriment, so I'm not sure where the rights lie now. But I've always enjoyed it. Patricia Medina and Johnny Sands handle starring duties with aplomb.

Also not sure whether Warners still controls
"The Diamond Queen"(1953) I think it was an independent item distributed at the time by Warner Bros.
The story's set in the 17th century and moves from France to Asia. Good director (John Brahm). Good cinematographer (Stanley Cortez) Top-billed Fernando Lamas handles the adventuring. Arlene Dahl's the unlikely but gorgeously red-headed Queen of Nepal. And the always welcome Gilbert Roland's along for the ride as well.

-

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Seems to me that both titles haven't broken through the rumor stage yet, so I'm not counting on anything. Great if it happens, though.
Not officially announced but TCM showing new blu ray transfer masters according to the article means they are coming

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
Land of the Pharaoh's has the most diabolical final plot twist ever, and the mechanics of it are an engineering marvel. It was so masterful that many films have since used it...most recently the entry to the temple finale in Indy 4 (not nearly as believable as Pharaohs though).
Joan Collins steals the show as the campy Egyptian siren. She is so over the top evil, that her hopeless comeuppance is pure pleasure to watch!
I can hardly wait to see this in the quality it deserves.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Land of the Pharaoh's has the most diabolical final plot twist ever, and the mechanics of it are an engineering marvel. It was so masterful that many films have since used it...most recently the entry to the temple finale in Indy 4 (not nearly as believable as Pharaohs though).
Joan Collins steals the show as the campy Egyptian siren. She is so over the top evil, that her hopeless comeuppance is pure pleasure to watch!
essential listening!!!! PS - we are so lucky that GF is the steward of this amazing operation.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I can't wait to see it either (never have.) One of Martin Scorsese's essentials. Hawks didn't like shooting in Cinemascope but Scorsese and others say he used it well. In any event, will be very glad to view this in its restored form.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Also on HBOMAX in April

• Rachel, Rachel (1968)
• Safe In Hell (1931)
• Storm Warning (1951)
• The Strawberry Blonde (1941)
• A Lion Is In The Streets (1953)

And on April 28th
Warner Bros. 100 Years, Max Original Docu Series Premiere
(Hopefully with no kid in red shoes.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks