What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (10 Viewers)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
As we've know, 2023 is the 100th anniversary of Warner Bros., and apparently Warner Archive has a blockbuster year in store for us when it comes to blu-ray releases. But while we wait, what Warner Archive blu-rays from the past are still on your wish list? And which Warner Archive blu-rays that you already own have you watched the most? Here's a helpful list....

Over the years I've bought about a hundred or so Warner Archive blu-rays, but I still have a dozen or more on my wish list, including Murder My Sweet, The Big Sleep, Brigadoon, Gun Crazy, Each Dawn I Die, etc. Even more than usual, however, I've been overspending on blu-rays lately, and so I'm not sure when or even if I'll get these titles.

When it comes to Warner Archive blu-rays I've watched the most, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, The Shop Around the Corner, and Angels with Dirty Faces come to mind, but there are others. My yet-to-be-opened Warner Archive blu-rays include Gaslight, The Bells are Ringing, Quick Change, and In the Good Old Summertime, and so I'd better catch up and watch them before I get more.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But while we wait, what Warner Archive blu-rays from the past are still on your wish list?

I still need to pick up Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and Stage Fright. Shelf space and extra cash have been a little tight so I’m waiting to get them until I’m in the mood to see them again. I had seen each pretty recent to when the disc came out so I didn’t feel the need to get them on day one. I think there’s one or two more also in my “saved for later” list but I don’t remember what they are - probably a sign that I don’t need them this second :)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
As we've know, 2023 is the 100th anniversary of Warner Bros., and apparently Warner Archive has a blockbuster year in store for us when it comes to blu-ray releases. But while we wait, what Warner Archive blu-rays from the past are still on your wish list? And which Warner Archive blu-rays that you already own have you watched the most? Here's a helpful list....

Over the years I've bought about a hundred or so Warner Archive blu-rays, but I still have a dozen or more on my wish list, including Murder My Sweet, The Big Sleep, Brigadoon, Gun Crazy, Each Dawn I Die, etc. Even more than usual, however, I've been overspending on blu-rays lately, and so I'm not sure when or even if I'll get these titles.

When it comes to Warner Archive blu-rays I've watched the most, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, The Shop Around the Corner, and Angels with Dirty Faces come to mind, but there are others. My yet-to-be-opened Warner Archive blu-rays include Gaslight, The Bells are Ringing, Quick Change, and In the Good Old Summertime, and so I'd better catch up and watch them before I get more.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
A war movie I'd like to see someday from Warner Archive is Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo. This hit from 1944, closely following the book written by one of the participants in the Doolittle raid, won an Oscar for best special effects, and was nominated for best cinematography. Doolittle and others served as technical advisors, and in addition to model work, several planes of a type very similar to those involved were filmed. Since the pilots who volunteered for the mission had to crash land in China, and then make their way back to the US over a few months, that part of the story takes up something like a third of the film. It's fairly realistic as movies of the time go, and comparatively unmarred by racism, in contrast with some other war films of the era. Director Mervyn LeRoy, as everyone here likely knows, was a key producer on The Wizard of Oz, and also directed Random Harvest, Madam Curie, Quo Vadis, Mister Roberts, Gypsy, and several other good movies.

30 seconds.jpeg

Last edited:

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
I'd be interested to read about this too.

As far as I know, the Ultra Resolution process for recombining 3-strip Technicolor negatives is a proprietary thing owned by Warner. I imagine Warner would lend their expertise and tools at an affordable price to another company as a professional courtesy, and in the interest of film preservation, but they might not give it away for free. I think at this point Warner Archive has even gone beyond the Ultra Resolution process of a decade ago, and they no longer call it that. But I noticed that on a recent Extras podcast that George F. referenced the Ultra Resolution process. But by whatever name, the Warner Archive 3-strip Technicolor releases that use the OCN have been beyond compare for the past few years.
I think you're right about all of the above... most importantly, your suspicion that the special recombine process is a "proprietary thing owned by Warner." When I first heard that the three original PHANTOM '43 negs had survived, and were being recombined for this new 4K release, I just assumed (ah, that word!) that the result would be comparable to what WAC was doing. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Universal's new PHANTOM is indeed beautiful, but beautiful in the way "old" three neg combines were beautiful a short while ago, comparable to that first wave of A-film releases like THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, THE BAND WAGON, etc.

But as we know, starting about 2021, WAC's three-negative recombine process improved to the point of being jaw-dropping. Not only were the colors vibrant and healthy, but WAC somehow replicated the day-glow/dimensional look of Technicolor IB, which these earlier state-of-the-art presentations did not. That's why this year's BD of THE ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN looks so much more "Techy" than THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, and why IVANHOE has three-strip dimensionality and inner-glow, while comparable MGM epic QUO VADIS from a few years back does not. They all look gorgeous; but the new ones done by WAC magically capture the three-strip IB "you are there" ambience, which is a good deal more than gorgeous.

PHANTOM '43 was processed at Universal's home facility, and clearly, these fine folk haven't hit upon the "secret formula" that enables WAC's three-neg recombines to dazzle in a dye-transfer-like way. Ironically, I'm happy to still have Universal's original version of PHANTOM '43 on Blu-ray, as that was transferred from nitrate IB material back in the '80s.

Keep in mind that I only watched half of this new PHANTOM, and really shouldn't be saying anything until I've checked it out fully, and compared it to the earlier release. But, what the heck, these were my first impressions. Frankly, I'd love to get Robert Harris' view on this subject...

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I still need to pick up Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and Stage Fright. Shelf space and extra cash have been a little tight so I’m waiting to get them until I’m in the mood to see them again. I had seen each pretty recent to when the disc came out so I didn’t feel the need to get them on day one. I think there’s one or two more also in my “saved for later” list but I don’t remember what they are - probably a sign that I don’t need them this second :)
Never tire of watching Blandings -- surprised no Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer yet!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Well, I sure loved the HD Ivanhoe as well as the Quo Vadis, which is an all time favorite of mine. Still hoping and dreaming for Helen of Troy and Land of the Pharaohs. The WB standard DVDs just don't do them justice and HD releases would probably be stunning.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I know it aint happening BUT man if WAC let KINO release some of these we would get a lot more than otherwise and it seems like even plain old dvd's of the best available materials have stopped
B, I feel your frustration, but to be honest they haven't even released Gunga Din on restored BD yet!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks