What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (1 Viewer)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Apparently a new restoration of The Unknown undertaken by the George Eastman House and the National Film Preservation Foundation will be screening at the Ponderone 2022 Silent Film Festival in Italy. Therefore, it’s possible this is one of the four silent films Mr. Feltenstein mentioned we were to expect next year.

Link (this is rather confusing as it starts in Italian, then switches to English mid paragraph, then back to Italian, and so on):

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Although some scenes in the current Quo Vadis blu-ray look very good, at other times there are slight registration issues, as well as occasional flecks and other imperfections. If the original 3-strip negatives survive, maybe this could even be considered for a 4k UHD release?
All three QUO VADIS BEN HUR KING OF KINGS would make a great set I really love QUO VADIS and KING OF KINGS We think Ben Hur being worked on!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
There's an iTunes HD. Not great but definitely better than the DVD.
Bored Episode 15 GIF by The Simpsons

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Love the Quo Vadis posts! Guess I'm so attached to the film that I couldn't imagine it without Taylor and Kerr. I'd buy ANY re-issue of it in ANY form immediately. We play it around Christmas time every year. Great news about The Unknown. Just revisited it recently and it is indeed a masterpiece, my favorite Chaney hands down. The score on the WB disc is fabulous too. Something to look forward to. One historical epic I'd love to see is the restored 1914 Cabiria. I'd probably fly to Italy and then to Ponderone to see that one on the big screen if they offered it there. God knows if and to whom Turin Film Museum might eventually green light a disc reproduction rights to. If a new Ben-Hur is in the works I just hope that the Niblo '25 version gets a blu-ray upgrade.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Love the Quo Vadis posts! Guess I'm so attached to the film that I couldn't imagine it without Taylor and Kerr. I'd buy ANY re-issue of it in ANY form immediately. We play it around Christmas time every year. Great news about The Unknown. Just revisited it recently and it is indeed a masterpiece, my favorite Chaney hands down. The score on the WB disc is fabulous too. Something to look forward to. One historical epic I'd love to see is the restored 1914 Cabiria. I'd probably fly to Italy and then to Ponderone to see that one on the big screen if they offered it there. God knows if and to whom Turin Film Museum might eventually green light a disc reproduction rights to. If a new Ben-Hur is in the works I just hope that the Niblo '25 version gets a blu-ray upgrade.
I wish Fathom would do QUO VADIS and King of Kings too they need to be seen in theaters! Wish WB would do a doc about Cinecitta during making of QUO VADIS and Ben Hur thise two films rebuilt that studio after the War

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I wish Fathom would do QUO VADIS and King of Kings too they need to be seen in theaters! Wish WB would do a doc about Cinecitta during making of QUO VADIS and Ben Hur thise two films rebuilt that studio after the War
Not sure you’ve been to many or any Fathom events, but a lot of their screenings are satellite feeds, and the image is atrocious. I walked out on True Grit a couple of years ago, the presentation was so awful. There was a red line running thru the bottom of the picture.
I’m just saying, be careful with those Fathom events. They aren’t cheap either

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Not sure you’ve been to many or any Fathom events, but a lot of their screenings are satellite feeds, and the image is atrocious. I walked out on True Grit a couple of years ago, the presentation was so awful. There was a red line running thru the bottom of the picture.
I’m just saying, be careful with those Fathom events. They aren’t cheap either

I went to a Fathom Events screening of Psycho about seven years ago. While I didn’t see any image issues like what you mentioned, there were a whole lot of other issues. First, it started really late, and then the sound wasn’t working when they showed the original trailer, and after showing the trivia stuff and trailer again (with sound), they essentially fast-forwarded through the commercials just to get to Ben Mankiewicz’s introduction. The management essentially gave me and my sister free Movie Passes (which we used to see Captain America: Civil War), but needless to say, it’s put me off Fathom Events screenings.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I went to a Fathom Events screening of Psycho about seven years ago. While I didn’t see any image issues like what you mentioned, there were a whole lot of other issues. First, it started really late, and then the sound wasn’t working when they showed the original trailer, and after showing the trivia stuff and trailer again (with sound), they essentially fast-forwarded through the commercials just to get to Ben Mankiewicz’s introduction. The management essentially gave me and my sister free Movie Passes (which we used to see Captain America: Civil War), but needless to say, it’s put me off Fathom Events screenings.
One of the best places to see old classics is The Lafayette in Suffern NY in fact tomorrow they show Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein! We have seen Miracle on 34th St 1947 Swing Time Mutiny On the Bounty 1935 Way Out West Scrooge 1951 Even Babes In Toyland! I think I saw Oz before Fathom it was horrid in Long Island they promised IB Tech but only few theaters got those

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
The HD master for 1951's Quo Vadis was released at the dawn of the blu-ray era, and from my pov would benefit from remastering if the original 3-strip Technicolor negatives still exist. Every time I watch Quo Vadis I wistfully wish that they'd stuck with the original casting of Gregory Peck and Elizabeth Taylor. But Leo Glenn, Patricia Laffan, and Deborah Kerr, Peter Ustinov, and Marina Berti are all very good. Ustinov especially chews up the epic scenery in a wonderful way. Robert Taylor is a bit wooden for my tastes, but no doubt so were some real Romans!

View attachment 158560 View attachment 158561
Audrey Hepburn was also in the casting mix. There are pictures of her in full Roman costume available on line.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Audrey Hepburn was also in the casting mix. There are pictures of her in full Roman costume available on line.

I believe she was in the running for the female lead before they decided on Deborah Kerr. I believe Elizabeth Taylor (the original choice for Lygia) ended up having a cameo as a Christian martyr led into the arena to be fed to the lions. I have yet to find Sophia Loren’s cameo, however.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I believe she was in the running for the female lead before they decided on Deborah Kerr. I believe Elizabeth Taylor (the original choice for Lygia) ended up having a cameo as a Christian martyr led into the arena to be fed to the lions. I have yet to find Sophia Loren’s cameo, however.
“Sophia Loren (age 15 when the film was made in1950) has an uncredited, but easily spotted, bitpart as a voluptuous woman who enticingly strews flower petals in the path of Marcus Vinicius' (Robert Taylor's) chariot during the triumphal march. While not her first movie, it was her first American movie, although it was shot in Italy.” per IMDb
Quo Vadis should be on Warner’s short list to redo on Blu-ray.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
“Sophia Loren (age 15 when the film was made in1950) has an uncredited, but easily spotted, bitpart as a voluptuous woman who enticingly strews flower petals in the path of Marcus Vinicius' (Robert Taylor's) chariot during the triumphal march. While not her first movie, it was her first American movie, although it was shot in Italy.” per IMDb
Same with Easter Parade

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
1666395601852.jpeg

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
QUO VADIS is okay, but I prefer the remake set in New England: SO WHERE YA HEADED?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks