What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

War for the Planet of the Apes - 7/14/17 (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Not meaning to hammer on you Robert, but the original Planet of the Apes was pretty depressing regarding humanity as well. I would urge you to try and put aside any pre-conceived ideas about these new Apes films and watch them anyway. They're so wonderfully done, and each movie builds upon and surpasses the previous one IMO. If it's any consolation, the fate of humanity angle is offset in large part because of the humanity the apes themselves possess.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not meaning to hammer on you Robert, but the original Planet of the Apes was pretty depressing regarding humanity as well. I would urge you to try and put aside any pre-conceived ideas about these new Apes films and watch them anyway. They're so wonderfully done, and each movie builds upon and surpasses the previous one IMO. If it's any consolation, the fate of humanity angle is offset in large part because of the humanity the apes themselves possess.
When I viewed the first Plant of the Apes movie it was in a movie theater in my youth when I was in a much different mindset than I am as a retiree. Also, I never said I would never watched them, I just said, I have to get into a special mood to do so. What can I say, I'm cranky in my old age.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When I viewed the first Plant of the Apes movie it was in a movie theater in my youth when I was in a much different mindset than I am as a retiree. Also, I never said I would never watched them, I just said, I have to get into a special mood to do so. What can I say, I'm cranky in my old age.
Hey, we have a right to be cranky, damn it!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

If this is what women will look like in a simian-dominated future, bring on the apocalypse, man! :D

hM0DCH2.jpg

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I still haven't seen this yet nor the earlier films for the reasons you noted. I just can't get into the right mood to see mankind's fate that way.

You mean see mankind screw itself over due to arrogance and stupidity?

You must not read or watch the news.

Mark

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It was excellent, and the best of the recent trilogy. I enjoyed the way it was a different type of movie (a prison escape, as opposed to a straight battle movie), and how it turned the entire 50-year series on its head: You rooted for the apes, not the humans. (Until, of course, the apes develop their own society - seen in the first five films - and put militarism and denial of science at the forefront of their culture in their misguided efforts to preserve it.) The circle goes round and round.

Loved Andy Serkis; three times now he's proved that motion-capture acting is genuine acting, and deserves recognition. Loved the tips to the original films - too many to mention. Loved the little girl. And Woody Harrelson was a terrific bad guy.

Maybe the franchise will continue; maybe not. (Of course it will!) But these three films ("The Caesar Trilogy"?) will stand alone as among the very best in the POTA series.

It also struck me how far we have come as a culture, from the first film, in which Chuck Heston represented white, Space-Age America, struggling for survival, to this film, in which we essentially root for humanity's downfall.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Another point of reference in the movie that I loved was the similarity of the apes building a wall to help their captors, to the British building a bridge for their Japanese captors in The Bridge on the River Kwai. Kwai and POTA were both originally written by Pierre Boulle.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Saw this Sunday night and absolutely loved it, best in the series and best movie I've seen this summer (yes, I saw Dunkirk). Man, I'm just amazed at this trilogy of movies and how good they have all been but War took it to another level. I love all the little nods to the original and how they tied up this story. Man, I'm just gushing about this movie and can't even think of what to write. Great movie and a great trilogy, can't wait to see what they do next.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It was different than I expected but I really appreciated the sensitivity in this movie. The interactions between characters, both ape and human, were thoughtful and believable. When I take all three movies as a whole, it is simply (and I think posterity will concur) one of the best movie trilogies in cinema history. It's amazing to me, and amazing is a word I do not use lightly, that three movies in a franchise could be made with such nuance and quality, one after another.

I half expected the astronauts lost in space in the first movie might return in the final shot of the sky, but I am glad they didn't. It was a perfect ending to an almost perfect trilogy.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It also struck me how far we have come as a culture, from the first film, in which Chuck Heston represented white, Space-Age America, struggling for survival, to this film, in which we essentially root for humanity's downfall.
Charlton Heston's skin color is irrelevant to the themes of the original movie. As for being "anti-human", there's loads of misanthropy in it (Heston's character says at the beginning of the film that there "has to be something better than Man"), so I don't think it's as vastly different culturally as you suggest.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
SPOILER

Spoiler.

How was the avalanche triggered at the end? Was it caused by something or just a coincidence? I think it was the explosions during the final battle.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have to admit that I never really could get into any of the ape films, past or present. Given our history, I never could believe that we wouldn't have slaughtered them all, regardless of their intelligence. The premise that intelligent, but primitive apes, could overcome us as a technologically superior culture has never been able to hold water for me.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deleted.
Accidental double post. Having issues with slow or interrupted communications with the site.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
SPOILER

Spoiler.

How was the avalanche triggered at the end? Was it caused by something or just a coincidence? I think it was the explosions during the final battle.

If you want to spoiler tag that, what you need to do is wrap the sentence with [ SPOILER ][ /SPOILER ]. Remove the spaces after the brackets.

You can also use the spoiler function. It is a little obscure to find. You have to tap the symbol that looks like a box divided into four squares. That will bring up the menu where the spoiler function can be found.

Edit: Had to modify the spoiler tags so they would show.

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
SPOILER

Spoiler.

I thought it was ironic. The huge cheer of victory caused the avalanche as sound can often do.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I took it as the battle and final explosion being the cause but the cheering probably didn't help. You can hear the cracking sound building when the battle ends. It seemed a little convenient, and maybe a bit too much to pile on, but also kind of fitting to have the natural environment seal their fate.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit that I never really could get into any of the ape films, past or present. Given our history, I never could believe that we wouldn't have slaughtered them all, regardless of their intelligence. The premise that intelligent, but primitive apes, could overcome us as a technologically superior culture has never been able to hold water for me.
The original film indicated that the apes took over because that technologically superior culture was stupid enough to wipe itself out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks