What's new

War for the Planet of the Apes - 7/14/17 (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
And in this one, the human population is severely weakened by the virus. It's enough for me to suspend my disbelief.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The original film indicated that the apes took over because that technologically superior culture was stupid enough to wipe itself out.

That would explain it. I've only watched bits and pieces of the series. I'll have to.sit down and watch at least the first one from start to finish someday.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
If this is what women will look like in a simian-dominated future, bring on the apocalypse, man! :D

hM0DCH2.jpg

To paraphrase Mel Brooks, "it's good to be the studio boss and make it with a hot young starlet".

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The original film indicated that the apes took over because that technologically superior culture was stupid enough to wipe itself out.

Indeed. In the original film it was nuclear war, and in Rise it was a genetically modified virus. Different methods with the same result - humanity became a victim of its own technology and hubris, and we practically wiped ourselves out and into extinction. That's not hard for me to swallow at all.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess my impression that the human race was still viable technologically was from watching part of one of the films which flashed back to the Apes rebelling when they were being used as slaves.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The interesting thing about that is that there are basically two timelines in the original Planet Of The Apes series - in the first film, things are laid out as having happened one way, but the time traveling in the third film creates a different future, one impacted by man's awareness of a future where apes dominate.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Now, I'll have to watch the original series in sequence. Thanks, Josh. :laugh:
May have to wait until they do a 4K release of the films, though. I'm pretty sure that will eventually happen.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Don't forget that the original novel had apes with advanced technology. It was only the budget and effects limitations of the 60s that made them jettison that idea. An apes movie in this new series' continuity set in the far future could bring this element of the book back.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Watched this and liked it. This new virus that makes humans primitive, was this in the previous movies? Is it the same virus that makes apes smarter?

The little girl, was that her father the apes killed? The virus that she has, is it lethal?

Was watching deleted scenes and one thing really surprised me. Do they take another clean plate without the ape actors? Because I see a closeup tracking shot of Andy Serkis and he is taller than Caesar. It's impossible to just remove him and put Caesar in.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The human virus doesn’t make them primitive. Just mute. It is not lethal. It’s a strain of the ape virus. Not sure if that was her father but it was implied.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This series is not finished, the humans still exist. I didn't quite get the other human fraction, are they large? What was their difference with the colonel and what do they think of the apes?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The human virus doesn’t make them primitive. Just mute. It is not lethal. It’s a strain of the ape virus. Not sure if that was her father but it was implied.

The virus impairs higher brain function as well as making them mute, almost the exact opposite of the effect the original human-engineered virus had on the apes. The end of this film was meant to loosely set the stage for the type of world that Taylor and his crew found in the original Planet of the Apes.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The virus impairs higher brain function as well as making them mute, almost the exact opposite of the effect the original human-engineered virus had on the apes. The end of this film was meant to loosely set the stage for the type of world that Taylor and his crew found in the original Planet of the Apes.
Agreed

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I believe the idea from the start had been to make "Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes" as a one-off prequel and then go right into a straight-up "Planet Of The Apes" remake. The commercial and critical success of Rise led them to delay the remake to make Dawn, and the success of that led to War. With War having underperformed, comparatively, I guess there will probably be no further new prequels, and we'll now be at the remake stage.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I felt mixed about this movie. Seemed heavy handed and a bit of a slog. Somewhat tiresome gender stereotypes imho on both sides of the human/ape divide. I kind of liked the Apocalypse Now references in the moment, but after the movie it just highlighted for me how this movie was not in the same league at all as Apocalypse Now. I had the feeling that the movie was weak at the box office, but I guess it did ok, even if less than the previous two....

War for the Planet of the Apes
Domestic Total Gross: $146,880,162
Distributor: Fox Release Date: July 14, 2017
Genre: Sci-Fi Action Runtime: 2 hrs. 20 min.
MPAA Rating: PG-13 Production Budget: $150 million
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $146,880,162 29.9%
+ Foreign: $343,784,076 70.1%
= Worldwide: $490,664,238

Usually making 3X the production budget makes a movie at least a medium-sized hit, and it passed that level.

But yeah, as JS suggests above, I think it might be good to just move on at this point, maybe to a remake of the 1968 original?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But yeah, as JS suggests above, I think it might be good to just movie on at this point, maybe to a remake of the 1968 original?

I don't know if I'm ready for a straight-up remake of the 1968 movie, but with how studios love to remake and reboot things, it does seem inevitable at some point that we'll be checking in with Caesar's descendants, hopefully still played by the outstanding Andy Sirkis.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I don't know if I'm ready for a straight-up remake of the 1968 movie, but with how studios love to remake and reboot things, it does seem inevitable at some point that we'll be checking in with Caesar's descendants, hopefully still played by the outstanding Andy Sirkis.

Yeah. Maybe. And really the 2001 version already is the remake of the 1968 version.

Am I the only person crazy enough to like that 2001 Planet of the Apes? I'm still trying to figure out the ending to that one, 17 years later lol!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Am I the only person crazy enough to like that 2001 Planet of the Apes? I'm still trying to figure out the ending to that one, 17 years later lol!

I'd have to see it again. I only saw it once, and it was after binge watching all of the other POTA movies for the first time, and compared to the rest I didn't like it at the time. Viewed on its own, as its own thing, I might have different feelings today.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
If understood the supplements to the bluray correct ... they are leading to the 1968 version
with the change that it was a virus that made homo sapiens into the ones hunted by apes
and are not considering the sequels to the 1968 "cannon" ...especially Conquest, Beneath and Escape ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks