What's new

War for the Planet of the Apes - 7/14/17 (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Principal photography has begun on the next Apes film, directed again by Matt Reeves. The first on-set photo was released by Reeves today on Twitter. Look familiar?

Apes.jpg

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Very nice. Looks like
Serkis and someone else I can't seem to identify.

Either way, hugely looking forward to this film -- Dawn was incredible, and Reeves basically wrote himself a total creative free pass for this one, as far as I'm concerned.

July 2017 is too damn far away right now.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well it's definitely SOMEONE in a mo-cap suit. ;)

I'm looking forward to this as well. The Apes films so far have been unexpectedly superb and I'm confident Reeves will deliver on this one.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The apes look so good. CG has advanced so much. Don't remember if they looked this good at least in the first movie.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
...Okay, that last line got me.

It's a miracle we live in a world where there's a prequel/reboot franchise to Planet of the Apes, and they're actually unbelievable movies. This whole series has been some rock-solid SF filmmaking. Basically every sequel-maker talks about the jump from Alien to Aliens, but Rise and Dawn might be an even bigger disconnect, and it pulls it off just as well as Cameron did.

I still can't get over how tragic these films are overall -- there's a sense of deep tragedy that you don't see much in recent big blockbusters. Sure, it's married to some colossally-badass scenes -- the bridge-battle in Rise, the ape assault with fucking apes riding horses and shooting assault-rifles in Dawn -- but it's still there, and it hits so hard. The final scene in Dawn with Jason Clarke literally fading into darkness while Caesar laments the oncoming war is unforgettable.

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Was rewatching this trailer for the third or fourth time tonight, when the following little detail caught my eye:

LL

Check out Harrelson's hand. Betting right now his character's last name going to be revealed to be "Mendez."

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Was rewatching this trailer for the third or fourth time tonight, when the following little detail caught my eye:

LL

Check out Harrelson's hand. Betting right now his character's last name going to be revealed to be "Mendez."
While I've seen all the original films it was in the previous century when I watched them. Refresh me on who Mendez is, please.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
While I've seen all the original films it was in the previous century when I watched them. Refresh me on who Mendez is, please.
In Beneath the Planet of the Apes, the leader of the mutant bomb-worshippers underneath NYC was named "Mendez XXVI," a descendant of the Mendez whom, millennia earlier, presumably brought the Alpha/Omega bomb to New York for safekeeping, and whose fellow mutated humans began venerating it.

In Battle for the Planet of the Apes, set after Caesar's revolt, deep in the nuked city, we meet Mendez XXVI's ancestor, also named "Mendez," who, in the extended cut of the film, is placed in charge of the Alpha/Omega bomb by the deformed Kolp, and who is given orders to launch the bomb against Caesar's Ape City (thereby also destroying the entire world in the process), but Mendez refuses, instead beginning the worship of the bomb that we see continued centuries later:

Mendez.jpg

Now, of course, we see the "Alpha/Omega" emblem spray-painted over that U.S. flag in the new trailer, along with the "Omega" symbol tattooed on Woody Harrelson's character's hand when he's pointing the gun at Caesar's head. At the moment, Harrelson's character is known only as "The Colonel," but I'm wondering if his last name will be revealed to be something quite familiar and tied into this prior Apes iconography.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks