What's new

War for the Planet of the Apes - 7/14/17 (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yup -- Rise, Dawn, and War for the Planet of the Apes (i.e., the "Serkis-verse") are set in an entirely-different alternate continuity from the original 1960s/'70s films, similar to how, say, the animated series and the Tim Burton remake are likewise in different universes from all the others. There's simply no way that the Andy Serkis films can coexist with the originals, given the massive storyline-differences between the two series (which some folks in here have already pointed out).

To go even farther in the continuity, I would say that the live action tv series from 1974 is in the same verse as the original films, possibly a thousand years before the events of the original POTA fim.

Humans are not yet mute, and savage. They are uneducated but still have the ability to speak, and reason. Although the Apes use them only as slaves. I feel it is an underrated series-fantastic production values, great musical score from Lalo Schafrin, and a downright scary performance from mark Lenard as the Gorilla chief of security-commander Urko- who would like nothing better than to eliminate all humans.

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
^ Yeah, the live-action TV series can very likely be said to be set in the same continuity as the original films (in the "pre-split" timeline where Caesar never existed, prior to Zira and Cornelius traveling backwards through time, where an ape named Aldo said "no," and started a rebellion around AD 2550), despite a few little tiny gaffes like there still being dogs and cats around in the future, etc. It's pretty much the one project that actually links up to the '60s/'70s movies in a reasonable way, continuity-wise.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sorry man, I'm not saying that the film doesn't look like it's gonna be amaze-a-balls, but IMO this "teaser for a trailer" crap is getting way out of hand. It's decidedly not stellar.

^ The execution of the actual teaser itself is definitely stellar, despite it being a preview for what's to come tomorrow -- it evokes the perfect despondent mood using juxtaposition of the Heston-narration, and I think this is what the filmmakers are trying to say with this footage, here.
What Josh said. I liked that teaser.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Is War the proposed final entry in the series? I keep seeing things like 'final' and 'end' in the descriptions, but haven't heard that it's supposed to be the last one. I'd rather see them keep going.

Flashback to 1990 or so and Star Trek VI is announced. Some people I knew were saying "What? Star Trek V was called the FINAL Frontier!" No one said the movie-going public was bright.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Is War the proposed final entry in the series? I keep seeing things like 'final' and 'end' in the descriptions, but haven't heard that it's supposed to be the last one. I'd rather see them keep going.

Flashback to 1990 or so and Star Trek VI is announced. Some people I knew were saying "What? Star Trek V was called the FINAL Frontier!" No one said the movie-going public was bright.
Given that they set up the missing NASA space mission in the background-newscasts way back in 2011's Rise, I wouldn't be surprised if we get an eventual far-future retelling of the original 1968 POTA, centuries or millennia after Caesar's death. In fact, I think this was actually the plan for Movie #2 or Movie #3 before Rise came out, but since the Caesar-era has gone so well creatively, they've continued in that time period.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
New poster:

iktgb7ef3vxy.jpg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Some people don't watch trailers so some of the above comments can be interpreted as spoilers.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I love Woody Harrelson but IDK about him in this. His scenes in the trailer didn't work for me. BUT its just a trailer. :)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
As a HUGE fan of the original series I was plesantly surprised as to how good this "reboot" is. Besides some great storylines, the effects are so incredible. I don't feel I'm watching a theater-sized video game. Can't wait to see this!

josnorgren

Auditioning
Real Name
Josef Norgren
Anyone else thinks this franchise is getting like pirates of the Caribbean? They're just milking it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Anyone else thinks this franchise is getting like pirates of the Caribbean? They're just milking it.

I sure don't. The new Apes films have been very good so far, and the effects work on them is sublime. IMO they're in a completely different league than Pirates.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks