What's new

War for the Planet of the Apes - 7/14/17 (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
You know whats weird? My crappy ass theater showed Dawn at 2.40 and it didn't seem to hurt it much.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
New trailer -- good lord, does this movie look amazing:

...Welp.

Damn, this looks cinema as fuck. I mean, when's the last time we saw a franchise improve with each new installment? Best blockbuster franchise of the current decade. Don't come in here with y'all's "Fast and the Furious" mess, either, I ain't hearing it.

Dawn and Rise of the Planet of the Apes are the two reasons I give when I tell people not to be instantly cynical whenever a reboot/re-imagining gets announced.

Looks like War is gonna be the third reason, and I will be there opening night.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
upload_2017-3-30_17-5-45.jpeg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Again, I'm not sure what you mean; reposting the same phrase I didn't understand the first time with a picture behind it doesn't change that I don't understand what you mean by that phrase. I am very much looking forward to this film, but I don't feel this instance of profanity has enhanced the conversation about the film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
FWIW, I think you do some incredible writing, and your observations earlier in the thread about the potential return of a Mendez character, for instance, were great thoughts that really enhanced my enjoyment of this thread.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
^ Thanks, Josh, and don't worry, it's all cool -- I teach high school in an urban, inner-city environment, and I tend to pick up a few phrases here and there from my kids. I have to play things ultra-serious during the school day (and can't use too much salty language), so I tend to kick things "loose" after school. ;)

"We are beginning!" / "And the end!"

Dear Movie Godz, please give me Woody Harrelson worshipping a giant ICBM. Amen.

And I love the Wise Old Man Ape™ in this trailer. He got some knowledge, I tell you.

I'm really digging the foundations of the ape caste-system being developed here: Gorilla soldiers/warlords, Orangutan priests/nurturers, Chimpanzee scholars/innovators. I hope this is the film where we get to see some of the darker aspects of the eventual ape-society begin to emerge in the wake of their successful revolution.

And I'll admit: in a weird way, I'm almost not wanting to see it. Dawn was great, but also hard to watch: seeing the foibles of history and humanity play out in this SF allegory is fricking hard for me. I love Caesar. The main humans in Dawn were good people, too. Sympathy for all sides, but horror and despair at how utterly messed-up the situation is, and will only continue to be. Cheering for the apes, while also not wanting to cheer against my own species.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Where do these fit in order to the original Ape films which I know are

1 Escape
2 Conquest
3 Battle
4 POTA
5 Beneath "Its Doomsday"**
**the end of humans and apes from Taylor's detonation of the super atomic bomb

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

1 Escape
2 Conquest
3 Battle
4 POTA

It's hard to give a straight answer to that, because time is sort of cyclical in the original ones. I'd argue that the order really is as filmed:

1 POTA
2 Beneath
3 Escape (time traveling changes the past)
4 Conquest
5 Battle

These new films in theory are set before any of the previous films - so Rise / Dawn / War are all set before the original POTA movie. Since Rise takes place in the 2000s and Escape takes place in the 1970s, it's easy to say that Rise should take place after Escape - except that Rise takes place in a world where apes don't talk and never had.

It also seems that the apes evolve for a different reason in Rise than in the original series of movies, so I don't think these can be considered direct prequels, but rather, a new take on the same idea.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Is it too late to say this movie looks dope? ;)

P.S. Keep in mind I've never written that phrase before, but the movie looks great.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh

That's Charlton Heston, and the voiceover is taken from a reading he did at the opening of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, from his autobiography In the Arena.

Hell of a contrast between Heston's words and the sins of man. While Caesar wants nothing more than peace between humans and apes (among other humans who would agree with him), the more violent aspects of the human race (and some parts of ape kind) only want war.
The idea of our hero contemplating (it seems) genocide, or refusing to intervene to stop human extinction, is pretty damn compelling.

Teaser-for-a-teaser aside, the marketing for the new Apes movies has been stellar right from the jump. This is just yet another example of that stellartude. If War turns out to be as good as it looks, the Apes trilogy could easily rank as one of the best movie trilogies ever. Either way, I love this series, and I can't wait. This is easily the best franchise Fox has right now.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

1 Escape
2 Conquest
3 Battle
4 POTA
I would put Rise as an alternative version of Conquest (with man-made chemicals replacing time-travel as the genesis).

Dawn and Battle share some elements and follow their predecessors.

Obviously I don't know how War fits in yet.

Both versions could lead to POTA (although Battle's ending hints that the loop was broken and ape-human unity prevailed).

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yup -- Rise, Dawn, and War for the Planet of the Apes (i.e., the "Serkis-verse") are set in an entirely-different alternate continuity from the original 1960s/'70s films, similar to how, say, the animated series and the Tim Burton remake are likewise in different universes from all the others. There's simply no way that the Andy Serkis films can coexist with the originals, given the massive storyline-differences between the two series (which some folks in here have already pointed out).

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Teaser-for-a-teaser aside, the marketing for the new Apes movies has been stellar right from the jump. This is just yet another example of that stellartude.

Sorry man, I'm not saying that the film doesn't look like it's gonna be amaze-a-balls, but IMO this "teaser for a trailer" crap is getting way out of hand. It's decidedly not stellar.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
^ The execution of the actual teaser itself is definitely stellar, despite it being a preview for what's to come tomorrow -- it evokes the perfect despondent mood using juxtaposition of the Heston-narration, and I think this is what the filmmakers are trying to say with this footage, here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks