What's new

want new sub - suggestions? (1 Viewer)

PaulcM

Auditioning
looking for under $200 or so. yeah, i know more money would help, but thats what i can justify. (the boat needs work and that ain't cheap.) i've got a sony(free)that is 50w. i just keep realizing how muddy & boomy it is. any leads would be welcome. thanks

Jeremy_R

Stunt Coordinator
What is your room size (Length x Width x Ceiling Height)?

What is your mix of home theater and music listening?

How loud do you like to listen to your movies/music?

PaulcM

Auditioning
1. 17x13.5x8
2. 70/30
3. loud

i'm using jbl e30's/e20's and an n-center. yammie rx-640. house is an open design so the room is challenging as far as speaker placement goes.

Jeremy_R

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend saving up and looking at getting an SVS or a HSU. If you contact either company with the info you just gave me they can give you some recommendations.

If you don't want to save and want instant gratification I would get one or two of these.

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard good things about that model suggested by Jeremy R also. I went with the Atlantic Technology T70 myself. It seems to be a decent sub- way, way better than the Yamaha it replaced. It has reasonably good response to 25Hz, and the sealed design seems to give it a nice quick response for music. It's magnetically shielded as well, which may or may not be important to you. It can be had for $180

PaulcM

Auditioning
'preciate the info. saving up for a better sub doesn't work for me. i have other things i would rather spend $ on. i realize that may not sit well with some people, but that is what is. i saw a refurbished jbl sub for under 200. anybody have expierence with them?

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
C'mon man! Howzabout a little leg work! Do some searches in this forum. More info than you could ever read on subwoofers on here.

PaulcM

Auditioning
been there - done that. if i had the $ for SVS i wouldn't be askin', thanks for your non-info bud.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I recently tried out the E150P and I wasn’t especially impressed with it, and my place is large and open like yours. It was pretty much dead below 30Hz. I expect that getting a lower-line JBL model would only be downhill from there.

With a budget that small you should probably looking into a used one. Your $200 could get you a $450-500 sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
Velodyne CHT models including the CHT-120 ,which will do 20HZ pretty cleanly, can be had very near the $200 mark.

Joey_V

Second Unit
I have had experience with Infinity subwoofers - specifically the Entra Two 12" subwoofer. It was a beast! I loved that subwoofer!

There is a new Infinity 12" sub (PS-12) that replaced mine, here is a link to Circuit City and its price:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Infin...oductDetail.do

As you can see, it is $450 plus tax.

Here is the same one on ebay (ebay is great!):
http://search.ebay.com/infinity-subw...QsosortorderZ1

We are looking at about $269 BRAND NEW on ebay (plus shipping (which is kinda like the amount you pay for tax at a local store anyway).

269$ (plus shipping) on a 12" great sub! Cant beat that at that price range!

;)

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
Posted by PaulcM:

been there - done that. if i had the $ for SVS i wouldn't be askin', thanks for your non-info bud.

If you truly had "been there-done that", you wouldn't have needed to ask your question. I gave you a heads-up on a cheap sub for your cheap budget. You could try doing a little work on finding out about downfiring subs "BUD".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks