want new sub - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by PaulcM, Dec 2, 2004.

1. PaulcM

PaulcM Auditioning

looking for under $200 or so. yeah, i know more money would help, but thats what i can justify. (the boat needs work and that ain't cheap.) i've got a sony(free)that is 50w. i just keep realizing how muddy & boomy it is. any leads would be welcome. thanks

2. Jeremy_R

Jeremy_R Stunt Coordinator

What is your room size (Length x Width x Ceiling Height)?

What is your mix of home theater and music listening?

How loud do you like to listen to your movies/music?

3. PaulcM

PaulcM Auditioning

1. 17x13.5x8
    2. 70/30
    3. loud

i'm using jbl e30's/e20's and an n-center. yammie rx-640. house is an open design so the room is challenging as far as speaker placement goes.

4. Jeremy_R

Jeremy_R Stunt Coordinator

I would recommend saving up and looking at getting an SVS or a HSU. If you contact either company with the info you just gave me they can give you some recommendations.

If you don't want to save and want instant gratification I would get one or two of these.

5. Brian_Fly

Brian_Fly Stunt Coordinator

I've heard good things about that model suggested by Jeremy R also. I went with the Atlantic Technology T70 myself. It seems to be a decent sub- way, way better than the Yamaha it replaced. It has reasonably good response to 25Hz, and the sealed design seems to give it a nice quick response for music. It's magnetically shielded as well, which may or may not be important to you. It can be had for $180

6. PaulcM

PaulcM Auditioning

'preciate the info. saving up for a better sub doesn't work for me. i have other things i would rather spend $ on. i realize that may not sit well with some people, but that is what is. i saw a refurbished jbl sub for under 200. anybody have expierence with them?

7. Eric Ha

Eric Ha Stunt Coordinator

8. PaulcM

PaulcM Auditioning

ok i'm curious. downfiring? good? bad? i'm on a concrete slab.

9. Eric Ha

C'mon man! Howzabout a little leg work! Do some searches in this forum. More info than you could ever read on subwoofers on here.

10. PaulcM

PaulcM Auditioning

been there - done that. if i had the $ for SVS i wouldn't be askin', thanks for your non-info bud.

11. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I recently tried out the E150P and I wasn’t especially impressed with it, and my place is large and open like yours. It was pretty much dead below 30Hz. I expect that getting a lower-line JBL model would only be downhill from there.

With a budget that small you should probably looking into a used one. Your $200 could get you a $450-500 sub.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

12. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

Velodyne CHT models including the CHT-120 ,which will do 20HZ pretty cleanly, can be had very near the $200 mark.

13. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

I have had experience with Infinity subwoofers - specifically the Entra Two 12" subwoofer. It was a beast! I loved that subwoofer!

There is a new Infinity 12" sub (PS-12) that replaced mine, here is a link to Circuit City and its price:
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Infin...oductDetail.do

As you can see, it is $450 plus tax.

Here is the same one on ebay (ebay is great!):
    http://search.ebay.com/infinity-subw...QsosortorderZ1

We are looking at about $269 BRAND NEW on ebay (plus shipping (which is kinda like the amount you pay for tax at a local store anyway).

269$ (plus shipping) on a 12" great sub! Cant beat that at that price range!

[​IMG]

14. Eric Ha

Posted by PaulcM:

been there - done that. if i had the $ for SVS i wouldn't be askin', thanks for your non-info bud.

If you truly had "been there-done that", you wouldn't have needed to ask your question. I gave you a heads-up on a cheap sub for your cheap budget. You could try doing a little work on finding out about downfiring subs "BUD".