What's new

Walking Dead - Season 7 (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It's just getting harder and harder for me to buy that Negan has been able to act so continuously evil and not have been killed by now. All the times he's casually handed his bat to other people who hate him, all the times he's among a group of his slaves where they didn't jump him and beat him to death. It's just not at all believable. All his wives would have bashed a chair over his head at some point one day when he waltzed in.

But that's everyone thinking long term and trying to work within his screwed up system, you say. BS. People are impulsive, irrational beings. Some power hungry minion who wanted to be the New Negan would have taken him out by now. A few hundred people moping around and just doing this guys bidding just would not happen.

And Negan has to already have set a record for villainous monologues that didn't get himself offed. Where's Tuco from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly when you need him?

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I am afraid that it is the hatefulness of this character which is turning me away from the show, and although I enjoyed Jeffrey Dean Morgans's performances on "The Good Wife" and "Watchmen" and it doesn't make sense, it is colouring my opinion of him as well.

The hatefulness of Negan almost had me to the point of not watching any longer. Really bad decision from the producers/writers etc. He's a terrible character and has really pushed the boundaries of what's acceptable.

He's faded to the background with newer episodes, hopefully he'll stay there. It's rare that I actually stop watching a show, it's all just fiction, but if he comes back in a major role, I'm probably done with TWD.

I watch shows that I enjoy. I like the characters, the story, what they're going through. Negan completely destroys any enjoyment. He's a horrible character and if he plays a major part in this, they have lost me as a viewer.

It is also colouring my opinion of Jeffrey Dean Morgan. I know he's just an "actor", but this role may destroy his career. Anything he does in the future will link back to his "Negan" role. He doesn't have the acting chops to overcome a part like Negan. Even his older stuff like "Grey's Anatomy" and other parts are now trashed.

Not sure how to say it, but certain people like Meryl Streep can do anything and succeed. Morgan doesn't have the talent to rise above bad roles.

MikeTV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Reading these comments, I just have to ask why most of you bother continuing to watch the show? Why don't you just put yourselves out of your misery and stop? Negan has had FOUR episodes that he was a MAJOR character in, so he is clearly NOT a background character, he already has a major role and I hope you're done watching it. I'd rather people just stop watching than watch and bitch about it week after week. The role of Negan will absolutely NOT destroy Jeffrey Dean Morgan's career, he is a very good actor and Negan is a great character. I'm sorry that apparently many of you here want to like your villains that bash our heroes to a pulp, but that's not the character. He is a BAD, BAD guy in a BAD, BAD world. Get over it.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Reading these comments, I just have to ask why most of you bother continuing to watch the show? Why don't you just put yourselves out of your misery and stop? Negan has had FOUR episodes that he was a MAJOR character in, so he is clearly NOT a background character, he already has a major role and I hope you're done watching it. I'd rather people just stop watching than watch and bitch about it week after week. The role of Negan will absolutely NOT destroy Jeffrey Dean Morgan's career, he is a very good actor and Negan is a great character. I'm sorry that apparently many of you here want to like your villains that bash our heroes to a pulp, but that's not the character. He is a BAD, BAD guy in a BAD, BAD world. Get over it.

I think I will take your advice and just stop watching. It was a good show, but they've gone to far and it's not enjoyable any longer.

No more bitching about it because I won't be watching.

Thank you (and I'm not being sarcastic, they've lost me as a fan)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's just getting harder and harder for me to buy that Negan has been able to act so continuously evil and not have been killed by now. All the times he's casually handed his bat to other people who hate him, all the times he's among a group of his slaves where they didn't jump him and beat him to death. It's just not at all believable.
I'm not going to say that you don't have a point to some degree but besides being really scary, Negan's relatively fair and provides security & stability and that's what keeps him in power. He doesn't kill or maim people for no reason so unless you're acting out of line (like having sex with his wives or trying to leave with their supplies), he's not going to burn your face off with an iron. The way I think of it is that the vast majority of the people at the Sanctuary are just happy that they have safety and food and that makes them bury their heads in the sand and let any crazy shit happen as long as they don't get directly hurt. That being said, Dwight clearly hates Negan but he seems too scared of him to act and Simon (the mustached dude who was at the Hilltop a few episodes ago) is something of an unknown.

All his wives would have bashed a chair over his head at some point one day when he waltzed in.
His wives have it the best of anyone. They don't seem to have to do anything other than bang him every now and then and they're living as well as anyone in the Sanctuary. I doubt they have to deal with the point system or scavenging or going out among the dead.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll

I thought the exchange of opinion was what web sites like this are all about. Here is a thought for you. If you find negative opinions about your favorite show and character disturbing, how about leaving this thread and no longer participating?

MikeTV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Maybe you shouldn't make assumptions about things you have no idea what you're talking about. Who said it was my favorite show? This has nothing to do with disagreements or even negative comments. This has to do with asking the simple question as to why people continue to watch a show they clearly no longer enjoy? If it makes you that unhappy, as it clearly does a number of people here, quit watching it. Go watch "This Is Us," where you don't have to put up with any bad people.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Maybe you shouldn't make assumptions about things you have no idea what you're talking about. Who said it was my favorite show? This has nothing to do with disagreements or even negative comments. This has to do with asking the simple question as to why people continue to watch a show they clearly no longer enjoy? If it makes you that unhappy, as it clearly does a number of people here, quit watching it. Go watch "This Is Us," where you don't have to put up with any bad people.

After 6+ seasons of watching the show and 6 season sets of Blu rays, I have an investment. It does not mean that I find absolutely everything on the show beyond criticism.
I guess what I am saying is that after about 60 years of consuming media I find the Negan character so depraved and repulsive that it is ruining the show. (I still have "PTSD" from the season opening!")
I once read an article that referred to an actual be-heading on you-tube. Before I thought about it I watched the video. I have been haunted ever since.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I guess what I am saying is that after about 60 years of consuming media I find the Negan character so depraved and repulsive that it is ruining the show. (I still have "PTSD" from the season opening!")
I get what you and Stan are saying. Negan is seriously messed up and while it's not driving me away (for me, he's the guy I love to hate), I can understand how that would turn some viewers off.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, harem life is the best. What 21st century American woman would possibly oppose it?
Yeah but society has collapsed so it's not really the 21st century or at least not ours. Given the situation, they have it pretty good and none of them are being forced to be Negan's wives, they have chosen that role.

Last edited:

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I would just buy Negan having retained power of he had a more agreeable public image to those he is providing for.

And why do I still watch? I still like other elements and character in the show.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I think the criticisms arise when people try to compare life as we know it with the show/world we are watching. Hell, that part of the fun of watching a show like this, placing yourself within it and trying to predict how you would act. However, we can only guess at the motivations of these people as the writers only show us what they choose to. We don't know what paths the people that follow Negan have taken to get them to the point we see them. We don't know their motivations - sure fear is one and survival another but like I've said before, this is not a society/world as we know it. There are really no good guys/bad guys. Only the gray in between where people will do whatever it takes to survive. All they would need to do to filp our view of the good team/bad team is show us a little more backstory of Negan's group. Maybe they were on the short end of the stick at one point. Maybe they were where Rick is now. If we were presented another view, perhaps we would be rooting for team Negan.

I understand people wanting to not watch the show anymore if they don't like where the story is going. But for me, I view the shows I choose to watch like a roller coaster, I may like where it's going initially but I can't really get off if it takes turns I may not like. - lol Also, this is supposed to be a horror show, there are no happy endings in horror.

PS, Negan's monologuing count is high, He needs to know that the "bad guy" always gets killed during a monologue, He's been lucky so far.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I guess what I am saying is that after about 60 years of consuming media I find the Negan character so depraved and repulsive that it is ruining the show.

That one sentence describes what has happened with the show. I'll probably try a few more episodes, but if they revolve around Negan, I'm done.

There are so many good characters, (Rick, Carol, Daryl, Carl and others). But bring in somebody like Negan and the show just goes downhill.

Never read the comics, so not sure what happens with Negan. But the writers are apparently quite liberal and change the story-line as they see fit. Negan really needs to be killed, he just brings a very negative vibe to the show. There has been a lot of negative feedback regarding his character, so he will hopefully be leaving soon, and in a very violent way if my opinion matters.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It's just getting harder and harder for me to buy that Negan has been able to act so continuously evil and not have been killed by now. All the times he's casually handed his bat to other people who hate him, all the times he's among a group of his slaves where they didn't jump him and beat him to death. It's just not at all believable. All his wives would have bashed a chair over his head at some point one day when he waltzed in.
Fear. Plain and simple. In correlation to non- fiction dangerous cult leaders, the Negan character, and how those around him behave isn't that far fetched. Especially after the world has basically ended.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I finally watched last Sunday's "Walking Dead"; I'm willing to give the show 45 minutes of my time, but I continue to resent it demanding more.

I actually think Negan is a great villain; part of what makes him so hateful is that he is NOT some depraved lunatic. Every terrible thing he does has a very calculated purpose. And then his personality makes him an asshole.

The problem is similar to the one the first season of "Legends of Tomorrow" had, though: We know he's not going to be toppled until the season finale at the earliest. So with half a season left where there's no real danger to the main villain, and that makes the stakes kind of boring.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It was necessary that they ended things on that hopeful proactive note for our group; if they'd just closed on more Negan-induced misery, the ratings would have plunged even more going into the midseason premiere.

I actually wasn't a huge fan of the editing for this episode, because there were a lot of beats that were underlined and capped with an exclamation mark, when a more subtle handling that trusted the audience would have played better. But I did appreciate that certain actions were set into motion, and the realistic consequences followed.

I think just about everybody except Spencer knew that his power play to become the Philippe Pétain to Negan's Adolf Hitler was not going to end well. Negan respects badasses. He doesn't want the willing submission of tame horses; he wants to break in wild stallions. It's why Rosita is still breathing after she took a shot at Negan that genuinely spooked him. He knew what a suicidal act that was on her part, and he respected her for taking it. Likewise, I think he respected Eugene speaking up when he did to save the next person on the firing line even though Eugene isn't anybody's idea of a badass. Negan operates according to his nature, and that is actually fairly predictable. But because he is savage, uncompromising, and brutal -- that has made him king of the mountain, top of the heap.

His mistake was thinking that, having broken Rick, he'd fall into line as the Philippe Pétain of Alexandria. For that, he needed someone like Spencer or someone like Gregory. His best shot at maximizing his gains with Alexandria would have been to offer the Kingdom's arrangement, an arrangement with at least the pretense of mutual respect. If Rick and his people hadn't wiped out the satellite location, he probably would have. But Rick put a big enough dent into his operation that he needed to marshall a massive display of force. And having gone through the time and effort and resources to do that, he had to break Rick, had to publicly humiliate him so that his place atop to the peak would remain unchallenged. And having broken Rick, he couldn't then give Rick special treatment.

Which means that his henchmen treat Rick like they treat the Gregories of the world. And he himself feels the need to continually demonstrate his superior position. But all of the violence and posturing doesn't work on someone like Rick. All that he saw what that they arrangement he'd agreed to as a means of keeping his people safe wasn't in fact keeping his people safe; Aaron almost died trying to reach the houseboat, and then got the shit beaten out of him for his efforts once they got back. Spencer got disemboweled, and Olivia got shot dead. He sees the trend line, and towing the line with Negan as the Saviors get stronger and stronger and the Saviors get weaker and weaker no longer seems sustainable. And given that fact, the question of whether to fight Negan is taken out of his hands: Not fighting Negan will definitely result in the slow destruction of Alexandria and the deaths of the people under his protection. Fighting Negan will probably result in the fast destruction of Alexandria and the deaths of the people under his protections. A slim chance is better than no chance, so Rick sets aside the Pétain role and adopts the mantle of Charles de Gaulle. And now he's on the road to building the Free French Forces with the Hilltop and Kingdom seemingly posed to be his British and American allies.

Father Gabriel was, for possibly the first time ever, exactly spot on with exactly the right advice at exactly the right moment. I think Rosita would have listened to him, too, if her booty call hadn't gotten disemboweled in the street.

What's the deal with swamp boots, who we first glimpsed as the truck drove away from the pond and then saw again headed toward Alexandria in the post-credits scene? The implication seemed to be that he was the houseboat owner, off to seek revenge against Rick and Aaron for stealing his shit. But it'd be a pleasant surprise if he (or she) is revealed to be an ally in the fight against Negan.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Haven't watched the Dec. 11th episode yet, but sounds like Spencer leaves the show. To bad, I always liked his character, but as we've all learned, don't get attached to characters, like Denise, because you never know when their time is up. And why is it that it's always the good characters that seem to be killed. Why not that scruffy blond guy Dwight who shot the arrow into Denise.

Started watching again and caught last weeks' episode, was sad to see it was so centered on Negan. I'll watch the mid-season finale, but have a feeling I may not be watching when it returns. Even with all the backlash against the Negan character, they still keep him around. Granted, these episodes are shot many months in advance, so maybe the producers and writers are regretting having him play such a big part but to late to change it.

Guess we wait and see if it continues to be "The Negan Show" rather than "The Walking Dead".

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Now that they spent half of a season setting things up, there needs to be some big episodes in the second half. All the episodes sticking to specific groups and locations brought the story to a grinding halt and are the reason why people are griping. Other than the premiere, these last two episodes were the only ones where it felt like there was some life to the show and I think alot of that is because they focused on multiple situations. On the plus side, Jeffrey Dean Morgan has been perfect as Negan.

What's the deal with swamp boots, who we first glimpsed as the truck drove away from the pond and then saw again headed toward Alexandria in the post-credits scene? The implication seemed to be that he was the houseboat owner, off to seek revenge against Rick and Aaron for stealing his shit. But it'd be a pleasant surprise if he (or she) is revealed to be an ally in the fight against Negan.
Yeah, I'd guess that's the houseboat owner and they'll ultimately be an ally since the good guys don't need any more enemies at this point. That post-credits scene was very reminiscent of how Jesus was introduced in the comics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks