What's new

Wal-Mart advertising movies in widescreen? (1 Viewer)

Gary Case

Auditioning
I just saw a Wal-Mart TV commercial where they were advertising their movie section. They were highlighting Dr. Dolittle 2, and the footage they showed was in widescreen! A little later on the same channel I saw an ad for Dr. Dolittle 2 itself (an ad by the studio, not a retailer) and all the footage they showed was full frame. Does this mean that Wal-Mart supports movies in OAR, or does it mean someone in their ad department grabbed the wrong tape to insert into the commercial?
-Gary

Chris M

Second Unit
I believe the studio's give out advertising materials for the commercials, and the stuff they give out is in widescreen. I don't think the store has a choice. It's odd that they would give out widescreen advertising, but use full screen themselves...
frown.gif

Chris.

Dave Pobuda

Stunt Coordinator
I was out shopping with the family last night and looked at three stores for "The Mummy Returns". Wal-Mart was the only place I found it in the widescreen version. As long as they keep stocking ws I'll keep buying there.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Any video advertising Wal-Mart gets is generally sent via satellite to their stores and recorded on video (much in the way that television stations recieve satellite broadcasts. I have seen their home entertainment department on occasion showing a 'feed schedule' for taping, and the recording is done in an office location. The tapes are then played on all their screens from this location off the sales floor.
I want my WMTV.
------------------
kdp.jpg

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
The ONLY reason I'll go to Walmart is, if they have a DVD that I want REALLY bad, and have to have it right away at midnight on tuesday morning. Because, that's when they set them out.
That's how I got Phantom Menace.
------------------

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Gary sez..........
......the footage they showed was in widescreen!
Uh oh; looks like Wally World made a mistake. I wish I could've seen some of the customers twitching and spewing tobacco juice all over the place after seeing "them thar black bars".
------------------
"What did Mr Spock see when he looked in the toilet? The Captain's Log."
Stolen from a BBS in 1985

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks