Wal-Mart advertising movies in widescreen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Case, Oct 26, 2001.

1. Gary Case

Gary Case Auditioning

I just saw a Wal-Mart TV commercial where they were advertising their movie section. They were highlighting Dr. Dolittle 2, and the footage they showed was in widescreen! A little later on the same channel I saw an ad for Dr. Dolittle 2 itself (an ad by the studio, not a retailer) and all the footage they showed was full frame. Does this mean that Wal-Mart supports movies in OAR, or does it mean someone in their ad department grabbed the wrong tape to insert into the commercial?
    -Gary

2. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

3. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

I believe the studio's give out advertising materials for the commercials, and the stuff they give out is in widescreen. I don't think the store has a choice. It's odd that they would give out widescreen advertising, but use full screen themselves... [​IMG]
    Chris.

4. Dave Pobuda

Dave Pobuda Stunt Coordinator

I was out shopping with the family last night and looked at three stores for "The Mummy Returns". Wal-Mart was the only place I found it in the widescreen version. As long as they keep stocking ws I'll keep buying there.

5. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Any video advertising Wal-Mart gets is generally sent via satellite to their stores and recorded on video (much in the way that television stations recieve satellite broadcasts. I have seen their home entertainment department on occasion showing a 'feed schedule' for taping, and the recording is done in an office location. The tapes are then played on all their screens from this location off the sales floor.
    I want my WMTV.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

6. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    The ONLY reason I'll go to Walmart is, if they have a DVD that I want REALLY bad, and have to have it right away at midnight on tuesday morning. Because, that's when they set them out.
    That's how I got Phantom Menace.
    ------------------

7. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Gary sez..........