What's new

Vote for your favorite rosewood VTF-3 design! (1 Viewer)

Sasha_G

Agent
Good patrons of this forum,
Hsu Research wants you to share your opinion on an upcoming rosewood version of the VTF-3. Your vote will help determine which design they will pick. Presenting them on a public forum allows everyone to take part in its development. So, at the request of Dr. Hsu, I have made some virtual prototypes of 2 versions currently being considered. One design is a new downfiring setup.
According to Dr. Hsu, downfiring might make it a little less location dependent, and forward firing makes it a little more directional. If you fire towards the floor it seems to be a little less localizable. The ports would be moved to the top of the rear and the amp to the bottom of the rear.
Without further fanfare, here are the two virtual-prototypes:
Design #1 (Down Firing)

Design #2 (Front Firing)

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I like the downfiring. Though I'm not sure how cone sag would affect performance, I doubt it would make a huge difference.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Down-firing one can be used as an end-table more convincingly.... Looks cleaner overall too.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Dammit, My VTF-3 is only a couple months old. Can I trade in for one these? :D
I like the front Firing.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
What will the price difference be? I love the look.If the downward firing will have the same performance then it gives you more options on placement and much higher WAF. SVS has used the down firing configuration with little or no reported "spider creep."

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Downfiring, if performance is equal.

May seem strange, but a rosewood cabinet would put the VTF on my subwoofer short list, as my wife hates all black boxes.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I think they both look great with the edge going going to the down. Send me one and I will give it a try?

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
I like the downfiring version. Very elegant design. Understated, yet powerful. Hope Dr. Hsu considers other veneer finishes, like cherry, maple, and gloss black. How about a special edition VTF-2? Not all of us can afford, house, or utilize a mammoth VTF-3. Now a rosewood VTF-2, that would make a great subwoofer for apartment-dwellers!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
And here's another apartment dweller hoping for a VTF-2 special rosewood edition! (Front-firing, down-firing... whichever sounds better.)

Alex F.

Second Unit
Appearance-wise, the down-firing version, by a wide margin. My wife concurs.

Oh, for a walnut finish to match our Salamander racks.

Sasha_G

Agent
Interesting. The downfiring design has become a clear favorite. On the AVSForum, the front firing design was winning until concerns about the downfiring design were quelled. Then, a similar trend happened.
I talked with Dr. Hsu today about the "how much" question, and that is just not known. I know that may be disappointing to some of you who are trying to make a decision now. It all boils down to how much it will cost to produce it, which is not known either. Since Hsu Research is developing this product with the input of the knowledgeable folks on this forum, it is in a fairly early stage of development. Things will go quicker once this decision is made. So, I can't guess the price, but promise to return with Hsu Research's more official word on the prices once they have a more official word to give. And that shouldn't take long, seeing how a decision is gelling towards the downfiring design.
As for the "when" question, the goal is a January public media debut at CES and release shortly after then. The rosewood case and finishings will come from China if things go as planned, like the Onix Rockets and Divas. Then, the subs will be assembled in the US. Here in California, the LA Dock Workers have been in negotiations, and luck permitting they will not go on strike again so we can get this baby out.
Regarding the Rosewood VTF-2: the answer is YES, there will be one coming out at around the same time. It will have a similar downfiring design.
I want to thank everyone personally for their input here, and I will continue to monitor this thread and deliver news. The people have spoken :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks