What's new

video with S-video cables for a home theater system (1 Viewer)

guitarmisfit

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Hello,

"I am having some difficulty and frustration setting up my home theater. My equipment is as follows:

Pioneer digital cable box (non-HD)(standard Time Warner Cable issue);
JVC audio/video receiver 5.1 channel model RX-6000VBK;
Toshiba television model 27AF45 (non-HD);
Magnavox DVD player model MDV435;
JVC 5 CD changer model XL-F115TN;
Panasonic Hi-Fi VCR model PV-8451; and,
KLH HTA-6108 home theater speaker system.

[Please note: I have NO ISSUES with the CD changer audio through the home theater speakers, but thought I should mention the changer anyway.]

My current set up is as follows:

I have all my components hooked up, and everything is working as it should.

The "problem" I am having is with the DVD player and TV.

My question is:

How should I hook up the TV and DVD player using S-video cables, for best picture?

I currently have everything hooked into the receiver as follows:

Cable box to receiver via red/white audio, and yellow video cables;

DVD player to receiver via red/white audio, and yellow video cables;

Same FOR VCR, and CD player with red/white audio; and

Receiver to TV via yellow video cable.

When I use S-video cable from DVD player to receiver, and S-video cable from "MONITOR" jack on receiver to TV, I get no DVD picture on TV. I do get standard cable TV signal, however. I get this problem only with use of the S-video cable.

I'm almost positive I'm missing an important step in the process here, possibly where the receiver is concerned. Perhaps a menu setting somewhere?

Thanks in advance...

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
You have to also switch the input on the TV to the S-video input. There should be some input cycling button on the TV remote.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It also could be that the dvd player is setup to output via the component connection. Many dvd players don't output thru the s-video and component at the same time. Hook up a standard video cable (the yellow one) to access the dvd players menu and change the video output from component to s-video.

guitarmisfit

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Stephen, gene:

Thank you both for your replies.

[You have to also switch the input on the TV to the S-video input. There should be some input cycling button on the TV remote.]

Stephen, there isn't anything I could find on the remote for my TV to switch inputs, nor is there anything on the TV's setup menu.

[ It also could be that the dvd player is setup to output via the component connection. Many dvd players don't output thru the s-video and component at the same time. Hook up a standard video cable (the yellow one) to access the dvd players menu and change the video output from component to s-video.]

gene, I don't see any option on the DVD's menu to change the video output from "component" to "S-video".

Any other options here? I mean, it is all working fine with the yellow video cables, but I'm determined to set this up using the S-video cables, as my receiver has an input for S-video, and a "Monitor" output via S-video.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Use the tv/video button to change the input on the tv.

Have you tried hooking the dvd player straight to the tv via s-video just to see what happens?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

Hmm, in Googling to find info for your problem, I ran across your post in another forum (ecoustics), where you state:
"Yes, the DVD is connected to the receiver via S-video, but when I hook up the S-video out from the "MONITOR" port on receiver to S-video on the TV, I get DVD picture, but no regular cable TV signal. However, I do get a regular cable TV signal when I disconnect the S-video (receiver to TV) and replace it with the standard yellow video cable from receiver to TV."

Which is exactly the opposite of what you state above. It's much easier to get proper help if you keep your story straight
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
. I will assume that your ecoustics post is accurate since that makes substantially more sense, that you DO get DVD picture when S-video cable is connected.

Anyway, on your TV, the video 1 port is *shared* between composite & S-video. You cannot connect both at the same time! If it is, usually S-video overrides. If you want to use S-video, you have to move the composite output of the receiver to the "video 2" input jack of the TV, one slot to the right. Use the "TV/Video" button on your TV remote to cycle between TV/video1/video2 etc.

Alternately, you can keep the composite on video 1, and use component video (set of 3 RCA video cables, usually color coded red/blue/green) for the DVD player instead of S-video, which would be slightly better. It's labeled on your TV as "Colorstream". Good cheap cables are available from monoprice.com if buying locally try real hard not to spend more than $15 and preferably < $10, try Target maybe. Anything more is a total ripoff, unfortunately many stores only stock ripoff-priced cables. Just hook the video out of the DVD straight to the TV either way, no point of going through the receiver since only one source device is using that connection type. Route through the receiver for switching when you have multiple devices using the same connection type.

Your TV only accepts 480i through component so don't enable the progressive scan on your DVD player, it should be off by default.

guitarmisfit

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Stephen,

Sorry for the confusion on the DVD/cable signal issue...at the time of the ecoustics post, this was my result, so that's what I posted.

I will take your advice, and try the options you posted.

gene c, thanks for all your help as well.

Again, being a novice at this, I greatly appreciate ALL your help. And your patience!

I'll let you know how I make out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks