What's new

Video Problem (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I have a P4 Asus mobo with a Rad AIW 9700 video card and a NEC 1760NX monitor.

Everything worked wornderfully until I recently upgraded the Windows SP2. Starting the very next day I had trouble with the video signal being interrupted. The screen just suddenly goes blank - no signal.
There is no pattern to it. It seems to happen more likely and frequently during the first hour of the computer being turned on. It does not seem to happen with relation any particular program.
I've searched the ATI website and looked online for any known issues and come up blank. Anyone here have a suggestion?

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I have toyed with it today some more. I've notices that each time it shut down there was a heat buildup, mostly on the mobo right before the crash. It was idleing along right around CPU 90/ MOBO 102 for quite a while then within a few minutes the MOBO and CPU would go up to 104+ and crash.

Searched some more and still finding nothing.

I am not overclocking....

Kelvin Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Eric, your temps of 90/102 is that Faranheit or Celceius? Big difference, since 90F is cool and 90C is deadly.

Also, is the machine shutting down, or is just the video shutting down?

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
It is F, sorry. I've checked all the fans and all three seem to be working fine. (cpu and 2 case fans)

The sound and video abruptly shut off. (confirmed sound while playing a game last night) I have a Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum.

Of course, without these it is difficult to tell if the system is running, but the lights and fans remain on. ctl/alt/del does nothing.

To throw my theory out to the trash last night I experienced this under the lower end of normal operating temperatures.
I've perused the Microsoft website today and found noting to indicate this is common.

I'm going to try to update my bios today.

DaveNel

Second Unit
Hello

Try redoing the software for the video card again, I had the same problem. I removed the drivers completely then dloaded the newest drivers for the card. That took care of the problem..

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Working on that now. I am using dial-up so I have to download it then bring it in via usb stick. (14meg)
I tried once using the short version and got install problems. (system keeps 'identifying new hardware but cant locate a driver (ant won't tell me what type hardware it is 'finding'.) I gotta download the full montey now. I can't wait until my house is restored...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks