What's new

very good sub question (1 Viewer)

David D. C.

Stunt Coordinator
i have a infinity infentisamal powered sub the sub blow out so i replaced it with a new sub from radio shack. it now sounds better than the old one that came factory installed the sound is not over powering and blends very well. so is there a differnce between a car audio woofer and a home thearter woofer?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

David D. C.

Stunt Coordinator
what are the pros and cons to replacing a woofer with another woofer from say radio shack? what is the difference between a ht woofer and a car audio woofer?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
David,

My guess is that there isn't a large difference between a home and car subwoofer other than the fact that they are marketed to the two different groups. However, one difference might be that you'll find 2 or even 1 Ohm subs for the car, but would not find anything this low for the home.

The good news is that your RS replacement woofer sounds better than the original. You've got to remember that is the most important part - how good or well it sounds to you.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
A driver is a driver. What makes them good for car audio or home audio are their specs. These specs are in the form of T/S parameters (Thiele[sp?] and Small). The specs will dictate what the driver will work well for.

These specs also dictate what type of enclosure allignment should be used for them. If you just buy a driver and plop it in a box there is no way of knowing if it will sound better or worse than the old one. With a basic understanding of sub design and T/S parameters it is possible to tell.

I suggest you search the DIY advanced section and do some reading on sub design. With that knowledge you'll have a much better chance of replacing the driver in a way that will cause an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks