What's new

Veronica Mars Season 3 (1 Viewer)

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
I liked this episode better than the premiere.

I thought the sorority rush stuff was funny because the dresses and the singing were eerily accurate depictions of what I remember of sorority rush. And KBell did her usual magic with the line deliveries.

And sure, the prison experiment would never be allowed on college anymore after the infamous Stanford debacle, but I enjoyed the storyline anyway because Logan and Wallace interacting is always a good thing in my book. Plus, Rider Strong and Samm Levine were great guest stars. It was almost an homage to classic "teen" series of the past. I'd love to see Samm Levine especially recurring in a later episode.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Ah... the most unlikeable heroine this side of Buffy has managed to piss off half the social power brokers in her new environment within weeks :laugh:
I love it. From a writing POV, this feels a bit like a return to familar grounds, but I prefer to think of it as a byproduct of V's personality: This is gonna keep happening through her life, school, workplace, everywhere.
Now exactly how much dope does Mother Superior need? There was is enough there to mellow out the entire campus. Why doesn't she just buy the damn thing?
--
H

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Has the theme changed from the premiere? If it's the same, then I did a complete turn around, it grew on me really fast. if not, then I guess they improved it :crazy:.
--
H

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
Holadem said:
From a writing POV, this feels a bit like a return to familar grounds, but I prefer to think of it as a byproduct of V's personality: This is gonna keep happening through her life, school, workplace, everywhere.
I think of that way also: Veronica believes in calling things as she sees them (at the time) and is not afraid to stand up to people and potentially antagonize them. She also does things without thinking through the consequences. All these qualities are going to land her in hot water all the time with lots of people.
At least she's used to it. She knows she's never going to be Miss Congeniality and she's okay with that. I think she prefers it that way anyway.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
CherylJ said:
Veronica believes in calling things as she sees them (at the time) and is not afraid to stand up to people and potentially antagonize them.
She knows she's never going to be Miss Congeniality and she's okay with that. I think she prefers it that way anyway.
And really - isn't that why we all love her and the show?
:)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm on the fence about the theme song.
On one hand, I never liked that song anyway, so a new version isn't going to make me like it more or less than I already do.
On the other, I can certainly understand why that song was chosen as the theme to begin with - the first verse of the lyrics perfectly matched Veronica's situation with her friends when the show started. They used to be friends a long time ago, but they don't think about each other much if at all...it works, but I've never actually enjoyed it.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
Nicholas Martin said:
And really - isn't that why we all love her and the show?
It's definitely one of the main reasons I love her so much, and the show.
But I definitely think female characters are held to a completely different standard and are expected to be "nice" by much of the viewing audience. I read a lot of comments on other boards about how Veronica is a "bitch" or a "knowitall" and I never, ever read that sort of stuff about a character like House, who is a complete jerk to everyone he meets yet beloved by the audience.
Also, other anti-heroes like Jack Bauer or Jack Bristow can go around shooting and torturing people in the pursuit of the bad guy, but when Veronica - who I also consider an anti-hero of sorts - does anything remotely construed as "mean" people jump all over her. Yeah, sometimes she hurts people (unintentionally or otherwise) in her pursuit of justice and the greater good. That's sort of one of the underlying themes of the entire show.
This isn't directed at anyone here, but just a general comment about how Veronica is perceived. I love that she's allowed to be pigheaded and obnoxious on occasion because it makes her more believable, more human, more lovable. Imho.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The one thing I can't stand are the comparisons between Veronica herself, and Buffy...I hate Buffy Summers and if I found anything remotely similar between them (other than their hair color) I wouldn't watch Veronica Mars the show. To me, at least, the Veronica character makes me love this series. It wouldn't make any sense - loving one character but hating a supposedly similar character... I find they have nothing in common.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
One of these days Nicholas your going to have to tell me all about why you hate Buffy so much lol. ;)
BTW, how is our #1 teenage detective doing in the ratings so far? I read that the CW is pleased with the ratings for Supernatural and it lost about 1 million viewers from last season, this makes me think that perhaps the CW isn't as strict as was originally thought?
Has VM managed to maintain at least it's ratings from last year?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Inspector Hammer! said:
One of these days Nicholas your going to have to tell me all about why you hate Buffy so much lol. ;)
As I have always maintained, it is the character I can't stand, not the series.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I tune in to the CW just for the 'next week' trailers, and I honestly don't know how ANY of you can stand those slumber party sequences between the acts of the show...damn. I suppose you could just hit the mute button when those girls are on!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I record the shows on my DVR and do the same thing, however even zipping past them at high speed is bad because psychologically I know that they're there. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks