What's new

Stargirl (DC Universe/The CW) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The DC Universe streaming service and The CW have entered into a "joint custody" arrangement for the new series "Stargirl".

New episodes will premiere on the DC Universe streaming service, and then be broadcast during primetime on The CW the following day.

Here's the full press release:
The CW Press Release said:

DC UNIVERSE DRAMA SERIES “STARGIRL” SECURES EXCLUSIVE LINEAR WINDOW ON THE CW NETWORK

cw-dcuniverse-joint-logo.png

DC UNIVERSE DRAMA SERIES “STARGIRL” SECURES
EXCLUSIVE LINEAR WINDOW ON THE CW NETWORK

The CW to Broadcast Episodes Day After Debut On
DC UNIVERSE Digital Subscription Service

Stargirl” Slated For Second Quarter 2020 Series Premiere

Stargirl_S01_001alt.jpg

November 21, 2019 (Burbank, CA) – The highly anticipated DC Universe series STARGIRL will now have an exclusive linear window on The CW Network, which will broadcast each episode the day after its debut on the DC Universe digital subscription service. The new DC Super Hero drama series, starring Brec Bassinger in the title role, is set to make its premiere on DC Universe in second quarter 2020, with new episodes released weekly on the first-of-its-kind digital experience.

Additionally, every episode of STARGIRL will be available to stream on The CW’s free digital platforms, following its broadcast on The CW Network, throughout the season. Under The CW’s new digital strategy, viewers will be able to stream STARGIRL from the beginning at any point throughout the season on CWTV.com and The CW app – free, with no subscription, login or authentication required, and fully ad-supported. After the season finale of STARGIRL, the full season will be available to binge on The CW’s digital platforms.

The new DC Universe drama series STARGIRL follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore (series star Brec Bassinger, “Bella and the Bulldogs,” “School of Rock,” “The Goldbergs”) as she inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. This new drama reimagines Stargirl and the very first superhero team, the Justice Society of America, in an unpredictable series.

The series focuses on the character that started creator Geoff Johns’ career as a comic book writer when he created her in 1999, lovingly inspired by his late sister who was killed in a 1996 plane explosion.

Geoff Johns (“Arrow,” “Batwoman,” “The Flash,” “Titans”) serves as showrunner and executive produces STARGIRL with Melissa Carter (“Queen Sugar”), who serves as co-showrunner, as well as Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter. Based on the characters from DC created by Geoff Johns, STARGIRL is produced by Berlanti Productions and Mad Ghost Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.

STARGIRL stars Brec Bassinger, Luke Wilson, Amy Smart, Trae Romano, Cameron Gellman, Yvette Monreal, Anjelika Washington, Meg DeLacy, Neil Jackson, Jake Austin Walker, Christopher James Baker and Hunter Sansone.

Premiere night to be announced at a later time.

Media Contacts:

DC Universe
Carrie Williams, 818-977-1314
[email protected]

The CW
Nate Kirtman, 818-977-5993
[email protected]

Warner Bros. Television
Jeff Tobler, 818-954-5062
[email protected]

Robert Pietranton, 818-954-4556
[email protected]

This is not set in the same continuity as the other DC TV shows on The CW. The Arrowverse version of Stargirl was played by Sarah Grey ("The Order"). She was active in the 1940s and 1950s. The new series is set in contemporary times.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I liked the pilot a lot; almost the anti-"Batwoman" with is fun, upbeat tone. It's nice to see a hero who enjoys being special rather than feels burdened by it.

Reminded me a lot of Amblin family movies from the eighties.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it a lot. While a lot of it was fun and upbeat, the end of the JSA sure wasn't. I presume we will learn more about that final battle and what has happened since then.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I notice that none of the JSA's heavy hitters (Spectre, Dr. Fate, Green Lantern, Flash) were present for the massacre of the JSA.

Not part of this incarnation of the JSA, or just out of town that day? I'm guessing the former, since any of these members (Spectre especially) could have wiped the floor with the Injustice Society. Which would not have been convenient for a "JSA dies" plot.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I haven't seen this yet but I want to. Do we know if it is part of the Arrowverse?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen this yet but I want to. Do we know if it is part of the Arrowverse?
It was seen as an alternate universe at the end of Crisis. I think it is a new Earth-2. Probably unreachable by the rest of the universe unless they change their minds.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
They kind of had to make it a different Earth, because the Justice Society of America plays such a big role in Stargirl's backstory, and the main Arrowverse Earth already had a very different Justice Society of America decades earlier with many of the same heroes (including a different version of Stargirl played by Sarah Grey).

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Courtney and Pat were well cast.
Fun opening episode.
I suspect the JSA aren't dead except for StarMan aka Star Spangled Kid(I was pleased they didn't discard this part of Sylvester Pemberton history.).

The Star Rocket Racer was cool as was STRIPE.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
So, Jay Garrick's helmet was destroyed, Wildcat looked done in, likewise for Hourman, Dr. Midnight, and Sandman. As stated above missing were the Specter, Alan Scott, Dr. Fate, and additionally the Atom, Hawkman and Hawkgirl, Mr. Terrific, and Johnny Thunder and the Thunderbolt. But what about the trashman that kept recurring? Could he be Sylvester Pemberton, who faked his death? This is going to be a good series, it's what Batwoman should have been.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Based on the names of some of Courtney's new classmates:
I'm guessing Stargirl will re-form the Justice Society of America with new heroes adopting the mantles. Beth Chapel was the second Doctor Mid-Nite and Yolanda Montez was the second Wildcat.

This is going to be a good series, it's what Batwoman should have been.
Batwoman as a franchise is just a very different animal than Stargirl. It was never going to be an upbeat, optimistic show. I'm glad there's room for both types on TV.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed episode two as well. It's nice to see a new hero suit up and actually prove to be competent without a lot of handholding.

Luke Wilson is really good as Starman's old sidekick and Courtney's new stepfather. It's an interesting dynamic, because when they're in superhero mode Pat follows Courtney's lead, but when they're in domestic mode, Pat is an authority figure to the same teenage girl. And their extracurricular activity is a extremely dangerous thing to allow your stepdaughter to be involved with.

I like that the show's heroes and villains are portrayed as they would have been in the golden age comics that inspired them, complete with the goofy costumes. The world of this show is a bit heightened, a bit closer to comic book reality than the other Arrowverse shows, where the world is basically the same as our world except where the plot requires something different.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
They kind of had to make it a different Earth, because the Justice Society of America plays such a big role in Stargirl's backstory, and the main Arrowverse Earth already had a very different Justice Society of America decades earlier with many of the same heroes (including a different version of Stargirl played by Sarah Grey).

While all that's true, don't forget that the Arrowverse timeline has changed in the wake of Crisis, and we have no idea if the JSA that appeared in that Legends story still applies.

Still, in order to have any crossovers, they'd have to revive the Multiverse. Which, technically, they did in the coda to Crisis, but I meant in the sense of the heroes of Earth-Prime discovering that there's a new one out there. To be honest, I'm good with keeping this (and Teen Titans, Doom Patrol, and Swamp Thing) separate from the Arrowverse.

As for the show at hand...

It shouldn't surprise me, given that Geoff Johns wrote both episodes so far, but it's remarkably faithful to his Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. comic from a while back, while also mixing in a bit of James Robinson's Starman (Jack Knight version) comic. If the show goes on long enough, I'd love it if they used Robinson's version of The Shade.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched the pilot and I am intrigued enough to keep watching. I hope that it is less intense and more fun than most of the Arrowverse shows.

The producers are obviously big Springsteen fans (every Arrow season's penultimate episode was named after a Springsteen song); this episode opened with Bruce's Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town, and then featured Darlene Love's All Alone On Christmas, which was written by E Streeter Steve Van Zandt and features the entire E Street Band.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's episode was a pretty sharp departure from the previous two, with one really horrible death and one really gruesome death. That being said, I liked that the episode ended on an upbeat note. Courtney has gotten a glimpse now of why Pat is so cautious, but she's forging ahead anyway.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I wondered about Icicle's motivation in his murders. It didn't seem to make sense to me, but I presume we will learn more later.

My big question is how did the owl survive all this time in the JSA headquarters? It didn't look like there was plentiful food there. I guess it went hunting outside, but the way it was shown made it look like it was on its perch the whole time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks