What's new

Veronica Mars Season 3 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
If you look at what they are giving away, the kickstarter in this case is much more about showing the studio a level of interest in order to get the production going; the Studio set the target for a film date and asked for a desired target to show interest. This is a good way to find out if a "cult" product might at least avoid complete financial failure at the box office.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I decided not to do the Kickstarter. I hope this Veronica Mars movie comes out and is as good as anything from Season 1. But after my heart stopped twitterpating from the kickstarter video, I couldn't figure out what I was getting for my money. If it comes out and is good, I'll buy it and enjoy. And probably rewatch S1-S3 on DVD to get refreshed :)

But I don't think I'm interested in being a movie investor with no opportunity to profit from it :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hulu Eyes 8-Episode "Veronica Mars" Limited Series Revival

The revival would be set after the movie and tell a standalone mystery with a beginning, middle, and end. If it moves forward, it would shoot between the third and fourth seasons of "The Good Place".

"Veronica Mars" creator Rob Thomas's availability opened up after The CW announced that the upcoming season of "iZombie" would be its last.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Finished the third season tonight. (My thoughts on the first season are available here, and my thoughts on the second season are available here.)

Definitely the weakest season of the three. The first season started off intriguing and really built up steam as it went along, with some blockbuster conclusions: the reveal of Veronica's paternity, the (apparent) truth about Veronica's rape, and the reveal that Aaron Echols murdered Lily Kane, and the terrifying aftermath.

The second season wasn't quite as strong as the first, but the bus crash was a compelling enough narrative spine for the season. It had the benefit of Tessa Thompson as a series regular, a major movie star today, playing a character who started the season as one of my least favorites and ended the season probably my favorite character excluding those with the Mars surname. Steve Guttenberg going off brand as the cheerful local businessman and political supporter of Keith Mars who is also a quietly terrifying child molester. The second season finale is a triumph of brutal hard truth: That Woody molested Beaver when he was younger and gave him chlamydia, that Beaver raped Veronica at Dick's forceful suggestion and gave her chlamydia on the night she was drugged at the party. Beaver was just using Mac to further his strategy and goals. And the Kane family exacts its own justice on Lily's murderer.

Coming into the third season, there was a strong feeling that the writers were told to lighten things up. The cinematography changed, the setting changed, the characters and their roles changed. It had a weird structure. There was the nine-episode opening arc about the rapes on campus, which was introduced during the college visit episode the season before with George Michael and Maeby from "Arrested Development". That came to actually a quite harrowing end. Then there was the five-episode arc involving the dean's murder; I longed for the depth and complexity of the first two season's major mysteries. And then there were five stand-alone episodes of varying quality. I liked those because they allowed us to spend time with characters from the earlier seasons who hadn't gotten much story time this season.

What a way to end the show. Pretty good final two episodes.
I particularly liked the second to last episode, with the rich kids trying to frame Weevil for their crime, not realizing who he's got in his corner. I love how Veronica and Weevil both have lines they're willing to cross, and I love how they bail enough out of tough situations again and again throughout the series; they each have a very particular set of skills, and there's not too much overlap between them.

But that was a kick-ass finale. The bitch was certainly back -- I've missed Veronica in full-on Valkyrie mode.
And I really appreciated how the episode captured how her superpower is also her flaw. She had Duncan Kane over a barrel, and he deserved to be over a barrel after that tape. But in her reckless pursuit of vengeance, she completely screwed over her dad.

I don't really need to see the Logan vs. the mobsters kid storyline play out. The fact that he went after him regardless of his "connection" was a satisfying character moment for Logan, being the topper in a series of self-destructive screwed up grand romantic gestures.
It was. I never really got the love for the Veronica-Logan pairing, because it is a deeply toxic relationship where Logan treats Veronica like crap over and over and over again. But part of why they have such strong chemistry is that they both have some really sharp elbows, and Logan certainly proved that with hitman's son.

I wish V had ended the confrontation by leaning down to Gory and saying something like, "Let this one slide, or we talk about the cabin woodshop." That would have fucked his world, kind of like Veronica did to Keith's.
I don't know. If she had dropped that line, she might never have been seen again. Those guys play for keeps. It's safer for everyone if they don't think she knows.

Well, that was just frustratingly good.
htf_images_smilies_frown.gif
This about sums it up. If this had remained the series finale, it would have been a suitably neo-noir way to go out. But I'm glad there's more story coming.

Though I think it would've been more satisfying if he and Piz had teamed up to administer the beat down. Maybe with Wallace holding the guy down.
The two beatdowns were telling the end of two relationships: Logan's beatdown of Piz let Parker know that she was second fiddle to Veronica in Logan's mind. Logan's beatdown of Gory let Piz know that Veronica got fired up by Logan in a way she never could with Piz.

Veronica seeing the portraits was so bizarre. It took me awhile to realize where she was and even then it took me a bit to process.
Yeah, that was really eery and effective. I love how that reveal brought everything full circle. And I love how ragged Jake Kane looked. With his daughter dead and his son gone from his life forever, these have not been good years for him despite all of his business success.

There was no cliffhanger. Thomas and company didn't spell it out, but is there really any doubt that Keith Mars lost the election? He sacrificed his career for his daughter's future when he erased those tapes.
Even if Keith had won, he'd deprived himself of his worthiness to wear the badge. His reign as Sheriff would be fatally damaged right out of the gate. Likewise, Vinnie is a narcissistic scumbag likely to flame out after one term in office.

I will probably watch the movie later this week. I look forward to seeing how they pick up the pieces from this finale, and what's transpired during the intervening years.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Having bought the series run on Vudu HD, I've begun streaming the entire run joyously revisiting a show I have loved since its inception. Even the weaker seasons and episodes still engage and entertain me. I kept my DVD sets since the bonus features from them are not a part of the heavily discounted Vudu package I purchased.

I'm not a Hulu subscriber, so I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do about the new show. I have read a number of reviews, most of which are very positive with a few caveats. Hop[e folks who do have Hulu will come forth with opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks