What's new

Veneer question (1 Viewer)

aaron_d

Agent
Has anyone stained Cherry veneer? I heard that cherry can be some what problematic. I searched on the internet and a site reccomend to use amber shellac. Does this sound right to everyone? Also i have one problem, i used the jasper jig to route my holes, and then i veneered. All of my drivers are flush fit. How could i go about cutting the holes out of the veneer? I think my only uption is to use a exacto knife and carefully cut the veneer. Thanks guys!

Darren_T

Second Unit
Personally I think staining any hardwood is a sin :)

Staining cherry isn't hard though. You just need to be sure you use a test piece to ensure the veneer will take the stain you have chosen evenly. An amber shellac will not stain the cherry, it adds a tint to the finish coat. Shellac is a finish which will penetrate a little but is mainly a built up layer of finish. The tint will look great but keep in mind a tinted finish will obscure the grain a bit and it won't be as defined.

Something to consider: Cherry darkens quite a bit over time. Try an experiment, take a scrap piece of veneer and lay it in the window where some sunlight will hit it. Place a wrench or something on the veneer and leave it there for a day if you get any sun at all you will see where the wrench was when you remove it. The cherry will tan quite a bit over time.

aaron_d

Agent
Thanks Darren, i read that cherry darkens over time so i was thinking about just putting a protective finish over it.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the same boat as far as flush mounting goes. Looks like a knife may be the only ("easy") option. Something you could try is to cut templates that match your recess diameters, clamp the templates over the recesses, and then use a template router bit (I think that's what they're called - they have the guide bearing above the actual cutting portion of the bit instead of below it like a flush trim bit). You'd have to be pretty exact :)

Darren_T

Second Unit
Also, take some thinner like mineral spirits and wipe a generous amount on a piece of veneer with a rag. This will give you a good idea of what it would look like with a natural finish on it. It will be quite a bit darker and the grain will come out.

aaron_d

Agent
Matt, what i am going to do is using my flush triming bit on my rotozip to cut out the inner hole and then switch to a 1/4 trim bit and get as close as i can to the sides of the outer diamater hole by just working slowly with my rotozip. After that i will sand the edges to get super close. I figure my rotozip will work better than my router because it is smaller and all i need to cut is the thin veneer. I cant wait, my speakers are getting so close to being done!

Chris Bates

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I would go with a danish oil for cherry. If you have to stain it, I would go with a mixture of 1 part mahogany and 2 parts cherry gel stains. Try it on a scrap piece...its beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks