What's new

Is There A Replacement Passive Radiator for a 12" Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature?? (1 Viewer)

Vicious-Poodle

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
And the answer is 'Yes' and Vicious-Poodle has created THE SUNFIRE TRUE SUBWOOFER SIGNATURE 12 EARTHQUAKE SOUND HYBRID MONSTER!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH (Lightning crackle and thunder crash!)

So, about two weeks ago, I purchased on Ebay, a used Sunfire 12 inch Signature with a bad amp plate for under $400 in piano black. I always wanted one and that price was a steal. When it arrived, I swapped in the plate from my 10 inch Sunfire Mk II. I was horrified to hear a terrible Death Rattle in the passive radiator. All my research showed no one sells a replacement and the odds of finding used body parts for the 12 incher are slim. I took out the PR and tried rubberized epoxy where the rubber meets the wood disk, glued around the center weight, tried everything, and still the Death Rattle. What to do. And I don't take no for an answer.

While watching TV I had an epiphany: The Earthquake Sound Supernova 12 looks and works a lot like this Sunfire. Maybe that passive radiator can be bought and fit in? A search on Ebay showed that there is indeed an Earthquake Sound 12 inch passive radiator for sale. The one closest in size is the
SLAPS M-12. Looking at the specs, the cut out needs to be about 1/8th inch larger. The SLAPS technology is better tech than the original passive radiator. There is no spider, glued on disk, heavy center weight that can rattle and cause issues. And it's very affordable! (The original seller on Ebay paid for it! How nice is that?)

With a huge wood file in hand (see photo), I enlarged the opening enough for it to fit in snugly. Took about an hour w/ interruptions. The bolt pattern is identical to the original so no new drilling of holes is needed. All the hexagonal bolts were replaced and tightened (one bolt was stripped so I used a larger screw and nut in its place.) Everything was nice and tight so it was time to give it a try.

I was beyond amazed! I did a frequency response sweep and there was huge output you feel at 20 HZ diminishing to an unbelievable 14 HZ. The SLAP-12 has like 3 or 4 inches of excursion. Where the Jurrasic World trailer would crash my Sunfire 10's, this monster had no issues. The bass was awesome. It could even do that 16HZ organ piece (I forget what it's called.)

Since this is a better passive radiator than the original, I ordered a SLAPS M-10 for my MK II Sunfire. I think that might even fit in with less filing. I will let you know how that works and if it improves the performance. (Right now these 20+ year old subwoofers seem to easily get over-driven on new material. My theory is it's the passive radiator.)

So, everyone, there is a replacement passive radiator for your Sunfire Signature 12. I will let you know in another week, if the same can be done for the 10 inch model.

Best wishes and stay safe!

V.P.

DSC07575.JPG

DSC07578.JPG

Vicious-Poodle

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
I'm very sad that no one really seems to care on this forum about such a great discovery! However, as promised, even though I am probably talking to just myself, the EARTHQUAKE SOUND SLAPS-M10 passive radiator, is a perfect bolt in, no modifications needed, perfect replacement fit for the 10 inch Bob Carver Sunfire True Subwoofer. It was a simple unbolt removal and bolt back install. A custom, perfect fit. The change and increase in bass was DRAMATIC! I couldn't believe the difference. And no more doubling/distortion during crazy movie bass scenes!

I had a nice conversation with Mr. Joseph, the owner of Earthquake Sound, and he was thrilled to hear how well his passive radiator works. He also explained that in the Sunfire True Subwoofer, it will result in more bass and lower power consumption as the Passive radiator is taking over bass production at around 38-35 HZ versus the original design of 25 HZ and his design is much more capable at putting out massive bass.

I strongly suggest, even if your passive radiator (right side of the amp plate) is not broken, replace it with this model and you'll be thanking me!

Toodles, Poodles!

image_86433.jpg image_86434.jpg

Vicious-Poodle

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Here are some very nice YouTube Videos of these Passive Radiators in Action in 12" and 10" Sunfires! Thanks to Gilbert Rios who posted them:

Vicious-Poodle

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Next up: I have an Earthquake SLAPS-8 Passive Radiator arriving this week to see if I can replace the PR on a Sunfire Subwoofer Junior. Stay Tuned!!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I love the write up, and great job inventing a franken-sunfire sub! I always thought they were great subs for the money, and until the recent SVS sealed series came out, it was my all-time favorite "small" sealed sub.

Vicious-Poodle

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
OK, so the Sunfire Subwoofer Junior experiment worked. It just did not come out pretty! The 8 inch SLAPS Passive Radiator is a little larger than the original. The cut out is only 1/8th inch wider; however, the overall size is wider and has a different bolt pattern (8 vs 6) which made it more difficult to install and the end result looks ugly because of the need for Gorilla Glue. The new PR doesn't fit totally flush and air leaks out so I had to Gorilla Glue the frame and also glue up the old 6 mounting holes. The glue expands and leaks making for a hideous appearance.

So, how does it sound? I have to tell you, this Sunfire Junior performs better than the Super Junior I have. The bass peak around 36- 38 HZ is GONE! Output remains very strong until about 29 HZ (Super Jr. was good only to about 33 HZ) and then rolls off pretty fast until there's nothing after 25 HZ. It will also play louder.

Unlike the 10 and 12 inch replacements, I would only recommend this if you can't find a replacement PR. I purchased mine directly through Earthquake. Of course there could be a black caulk or something that could have been used rather than Gorilla Glue.

I want to suggest to Earthquake that they come up with a dedicated line of replacement PR's for the 3 original Carver Sunfires. They should have a SLAPS VP designation in my honor! SLAPS VP-12, VP-10 and VP-8.

I've attached photos of enlargening the opening (might not have been needed), the old and new PR's, and the finished product (at least I didn't put Gorilla Glue in my hair!).

Attachments

• DSC07879.JPG
    DSC07879.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 175
  • DSC07880.JPG
    DSC07880.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 353
  • DSC07888.JPG
    DSC07888.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 218

Vicious-Poodle

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Here is a video of my Sunfire Signature 12 Earthquake Hybrid Playing that annoying Bass I Love You song (note how much the excursion is for this PR!)

Last edited:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Well done Frank. That's some nice excursion - and proof that sunfire never messed around with their amps. What is the XMax on that PR anyway?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The excursion of those drivers was always the big selling point for the sunfire subs. You never had a demo that didn't include "Look at THAT!"

Vicious-Poodle

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Well done Frank. That's some nice excursion - and proof that sunfire never messed around with their amps. What is the XMax on that PR anyway?
Thanks, from Earthquakes web site:

Slaps-M10
Fs 29
Vas 1.5ft
Qms 7
Cms 0.428
Mms 100g
Sd 301 cm^2
Xmax 4in (100mm)

Slaps M12
Fs 25.5
Vas 4.52ft
Qms 7
Cms 0.387
Mms 289g
Sd 483cm^2
Xmax 4in (100mm)

Vicious-Poodle

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
OK, as promised, here is a video of my Carver Sunfire True Subwoofer Junior with a SLAPS-8 Passive radiator. Not pretty but put s out a lot of bass:

Vicious-Poodle

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Here's another video! I stacked the 12 and 10 incher. The microphone sux so you need to turn up 30 - 50 HZ if you have an equalizer. Regardless, it's fun to see these Earthquake SLAPS PR's going nuts!

alex0

Auditioning
Real Name
Alexander
OK, so the Sunfire Subwoofer Junior experiment worked. It just did not come out pretty! The 8 inch SLAPS Passive Radiator is a little larger than the original. The cut out is only 1/8th inch wider; however, the overall size is wider and has a different bolt pattern (8 vs 6) which made it more difficult to install and the end result looks ugly because of the need for Gorilla Glue. The new PR doesn't fit totally flush and air leaks out so I had to Gorilla Glue the frame and also glue up the old 6 mounting holes. The glue expands and leaks making for a hideous appearance.

So, how does it sound? I have to tell you, this Sunfire Junior performs better than the Super Junior I have. The bass peak around 36- 38 HZ is GONE! Output remains very strong until about 29 HZ (Super Jr. was good only to about 33 HZ) and then rolls off pretty fast until there's nothing after 25 HZ. It will also play louder.

Unlike the 10 and 12 inch replacements, I would only recommend this if you can't find a replacement PR. I purchased mine directly through Earthquake. Of course there could be a black caulk or something that could have been used rather than Gorilla Glue.

I want to suggest to Earthquake that they come up with a dedicated line of replacement PR's for the 3 original Carver Sunfires. They should have a SLAPS VP designation in my honor! SLAPS VP-12, VP-10 and VP-8.

I've attached photos of enlargening the opening (might not have been needed), the old and new PR's, and the finished product (at least I didn't put Gorilla Glue in my hair!).
Hi,

I have a Super Junior with a failing passive radiator. Would you by any chance still have that original Junior radiator, and if so, would you consider selling it?

Thanks,

Alex

Vicious-Poodle

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Jeeze, I'm sorry I never saw your comment until now. If I can find it, you can have it. Just get me a UPS shipping label or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks