What's new

Various thoughts about NEWS from the WB Chat! (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching Errol Flynn's "They Died With Their Boots On". I surely hope that this is one of the Flynn films that WB plans to release. This film is great fun & grand entertainment. And my, my that song "Gary Owen", it sure sticks in your mind!

There are a pair of 1968 M-G-M films that I wish had been asked about in the chat:

"The Shoes of the Fisherman" - A very prophetic film!
"Ice Station Zebra" - One of my favorite Sub flicks!

Do these two films require the same work that 1968's "Where Eagles Dare" needed?

It was really too bad that TV Mini-series were not touched on during the WB chat. I was hoping for additional info about "The Thorn Birds" especially after the reported talk show incident. I also wanted to know if two of my favorite Mini-series were going to see an eventual release, namely "North and South: Book 1" & "North and South: Book 2". I purchased WB's "Roots" and will absolutely buy the 3 mentioned here!

I am now kicking myself, as I missed the chat and did not get to ask about:

The Picture Of Dorian Gray
Gaslight

I have been patiently waiting for these two great MGM films.
Eric, I had a question planned about these two films as they are favorites of mine too. But the question was not at the top of my list, my Bette Davis question was. Any release of "The Picture Of Dorian Gray" must have special attention paid to getting the color inserts correct.

Plus I am an overjoyed camper with all of the planned Horror & Sci-Fi releases to come from WB's vault! Bravo Warners! :D :D :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I am sorry that the mini-series thing didn't get brought up. You did have an opportunity to ask about your favorite subject, and you choose a different one...which is understandable.

I tried very hard to word my own question about TV shows in-the-pipe so that they had the opportunity to list off as many as they could stand to name. Obviously they didn't take the opportunity, instead just confirming the three I mentioned by name (the first two we knew were coming anyway, and the third was strongly rumored after we heard that R2 was getting it).

But they had a chance to say, for instance, "Yeah, all that plus West Wing plus..." (and they could have named any mini-series in that). Maybe they simply couldn't think of all of that instantly, but jogging their memory with a title seemed to help.

In regards to this:

I agree wholeheartedly that the responses were refreshingly blunt. Yeah, we may shed a few tears over the answers, but we are adults (supposedly) and at least we have a realistic expectation of whether or not we will see something. A "we're considering it" response like that for Lois & Clark and Night Court can then be taken at face value, as long as you know they aren't saying the same for "Electric Dreams" (sorry 'bout that, John...I'd enjoy that film too; we can both "dream on!" :D ).

I would encourage all studios who participate in chats to be just as blunt with us. Thanks,

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I am sorry that the mini-series thing didn't get brought up. You did have an opportunity to ask about your favorite subject, and you choose a different one...which is understandable.
Yes I had about 10 questions prepared & the Mini-series one was #2. I just felt more strongly about Bette! Since I had only one shot & I did not want to violate the 20 questions within a question policy & had to ask about the Davis films. Oh well...... :)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Too many posts to go through, and to tired to do so at the moment, so I hope this wasn't brought up before. Any information on the extras for the 'Christmas Story' DVD? I'd love to see this in Widescreen for the first time, and I can't what to see what type of fun extras they put on this one.

Heh, it'll be fun if TNT alternates the Movie for Next years marathon showing. One regular movie showing, one widescreen movie showing, and one with the commentary for the movie playing ;).

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I wanted to askf if there was any plans for a 25th anniversary of superman: the movie coming this year.. anyone have any ideas?

JACOB

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I am so excited about "Around the World in 80 Days." This fall, I hope. He did say very soon, and I would presume that means this year.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
you would think they would do something special for the 25th anniversary.. like re-release it in theatres. ( I know that home video doesn;t have that control).

JACOB

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I live in california.. I did have a chance to see Superman on the big screen back in 2001. both in LA and in Texas. It was awesome to see it on the big screen.

thanks for the info.

JACOB

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Did anyone have guts to ask them about crappy transfer of Dawsons Creek and if they be watching their properties abit more closely?
No one needed to ask. The answer would have been: "We don't own that."

Although it airs on the WB network, Dawson's Creek is the property of Sony Pictures Television. The DVD you're unhappy with was put out by Columbia Tristar Home Video (part of the Sony empire), not Warner Home Video.

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
Well I read the transcript for the WB chat and not much there that interested me. The only film mentioned that I want is Blade Runner and all we got was the usual "stay tuned". Stay tuned! god I've been tuned for so long my antennas starting to rust. Get on with it will ya!!;)

Oh and one other thing, next time they have one of these things and you ask a question like "will you be supporting DTS?" can you instead phrase it like "will you be supporting DTS and if not...why not?". Then if they give some BS answer like "we prefer to use the space for bonus features" then someone else can say "well other studio's seem to be able to include both, why can't you?".

Just a suggestion.

It is really nice of them to even participate on something like this and I'm glad some of you took the opportunity to praise them on their wonderful SE's.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Oh and one other thing, next time they have one of these things and you ask a question like "will you be supporting DTS?" can you instead phrase it like "will you be supporting DTS and if not...why not?". Then if they give some BS answer like "we prefer to use the space for bonus features" then someone else can say "well other studio's seem to be able to include both, why can't you?".
It wouldn't matter. As seen in this chat, they'll just answer the parts they want to and ignore the rest.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Thanks to everyone that attended last evening's chat.

I couldn't believe this was Warner Brothers we
were talking to. They answered everything, they
gave us lots of exclusives, and they interjected a
lot of humor into their replies.

And the membership...wow! No whispering, no
private messages to any of us complaining about a
turn being missed. Everyone was on their BEST
behavior. Most of all, the questions you asked
last night were very, very good.

Truly a first-class chat. My thanks to the studio
and the membership for making this possible.

Hope well-oiled chats like this continue to opens
doors for more studios to do these sort of live
events with the membership.
Since many people here really appreciated the people at the studio taking substantial time to answer the membership's questions (including the redundant ones, which were annoying to both attendees and the studio people) I hope that the negativity that seems to be developing on this thread won't turn other studios or Warner themselves off from further chats here on this forum.

Lighten up, gang!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I was disappointed about the DTS response too. But if it is not WB's policy, then so be it. I have a higher personal priority than DTS audio. I desire to see as many catalog titles released as possible. It appears that Warner Bros is moving in this direction. I'll take catalog titles over DTS any day of the week since I buy few recent theatrical releases & that is where DTS is mostly likely to appear in general, not usually on catalog releases. Keep those catalog titles coming WB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't see how season set demands would be reasonable for Batman: TAS anyway, considering the abnormal production orders; season 1 had 60 episodes, seasons 2 & 3 had 10 episodes, and season 5 had 5 episodes. I think it should be modeled after Futurama, another series with abnormal season orders, in cronological volumes.

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I really read the script. I wasn't trying to be negative. I did say at the end of my post how nice it was of WB to do this. I guess when somebody says they won't do something I want to know why. I suppose it is kind of redundant because any answer they give wouldn't satisfy me anyway. DTS is not really that important to me either, it just irks me that some studios do (or don't do in this case) things for no other reason than they don't want to. There's no practical reason why WB couldn't include a DTS track even if only on their SE's. If other studios CAN do it WB CAN too. The same with the whole snapper case thing. Every other studio can put their DVD's in amaray cases but WB can't? But in their favor, their DVD catalog is better than most and their DVD's are some of the least expensive and they do listen to the people who buy their stuff some times. I have more WB DVD's than any other studio, 54 to be exact with the next closest being Fox with 32. So at least WB can't claim I don't support them.

Again kudos to the WB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks