What's new

Various thoughts about NEWS from the WB Chat! (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Geez, give it up on the snappers, will ya guys? Two simple facts:

1. Warner owns the company that makes snappers and the patent for them.

2. Making snappers themselves is (as I understand it)somewhat cheaper than buying a keepcase.

It's simple economics; a few pennies each spread over hundreds of millions of discs results in a big cost savings, and right now Warner needs all of that it can get.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
no,

it's Warner who should give it up.
more discs will sell if they aren't in snappers.

furthermore, ALL of its other divisions have given up the snapper!

Warner itself just looks stubborn.

if it's a case of a contract, fine - let us know.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

It's simple, it's none of our business what contracts Warner is bound to. We are consumers, not business partners nor stockholders in Warner.

Crawdaddy

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
um,

the HTF one. that's where we are, that's who they're chatting to.

do a search on snapper, and tell me what the verdict is, save a few.

Warner contract - no biggie about saying they're bound to use the snapper for a determined period - END OF STORY it would be.

If the customers aren't happy, I don't think the board will be too happy (in the long run).

and who's to know or assume who's NOT a stockholder?

touchy touchy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Touchy has nothing to do with it. As much as I would like to think that Warner's ability to maximize their profits in dvd sales revolves around HTF, the reality of the situation is that we're nothing but a small puddle in the big ocean of dvd sales in this mass market. Its 2003 not 1997/1998!

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
based on your exact words, what study is there otherwise to say that people LOVE the snapper?

use what you know, say what you use.

WB would not be talking to HTF if it didn't want to maximize profits. It would not be soliciting requests to profit from its catalogue. It would not be issuing WS editions of Willy Wonka (and since then) were it not for the HTF and its 'hood' of sites.

Yes, it is 2003, and it's wonderful.

I as a business owner and operator, also know how to maximise profits, please the customer and sleep happy at the same time.

aw, come on...touchy it was :D

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
I don't like snapper cases, but its use would never prevent me from buying an otherwise quality DVD (from Warner or anyone else). Warner has made a business decision. They recognize that some people aren't happy about it. But they've evidently done a cost-benefit analysis (and consumer marketing surveys) & determined it's in their best interest to continue with the snapper (the same with their no-DTS policy and their policy of not selling distribution rights for their films to other companies).

As consumers, the only power we hold is in deciding whether or not to purchase a given company's product. If you feel strongly enough about snapper or DTS or whatever, don't buy any Warner products. If enough people agree with you & follow suit, it will force Warner into changing its policies. But I suspect that average Joe and Jane consumer couldn't care less.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
well duh,

but what policy dictates that subsidiary product (New line, HBO etc.) is packaged in non-snapper cases, but that which is distributed by the same arm (WAMO) - this I believe incurs extra costs on 2 levels - non-snapper (as 'you' have claimed), and packing procedures.

I for one buy product based on the movie.
There are many (on this forum, and elsewhere) who go out of their way (and some cost) to replace snapper covers with custom covers, and also artwork in other 'cases'.

as a rentailer - we have a SNAPPER section!

pro - it spotlights Warner.
con - it 'hides' Warner; customers looking for a comedy will see all the non-snapper titles in the non-snapper section, and forget to check on the snapper titles.

ergo - 'visual' loss.

more power to the snapper?

this is what happens in a high volume environment, something not dissimilar to those who have large collections and have space/shelving concerns - rentailers have a more pressing need in MOVING the stock - no pun intented!

and no, no one needs to pat my words on the back. ;)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
um,

that the snapper needs to go.
that has been the point since 1997.

tis' all.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
eh, no worries mate.

freedom of (consumer) speech is wonderful, no?:b

time for DVD reviewing!

Jack Ryan trilogy
Catch Me If You Can
Emperor's Club
Extreme Ops
etc

toodles...

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I don't like snappers either, but they've never kept me from buying a movie. The only exception is a held off buyign a few New Line titles I knew were going to be reissued in keepcases.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
awwww,

now now.
(some) people might think I made a point earlier.

just the facts.

our snappers have a habit of getting frayed, warping (even the thick custom Ghost Ship) in the humidity (and not closing properly) and getting scratched.

oh the wonders of variety.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I prefer amaray keepcases over snappers, but I'll have a snapper any day over an amaray with a wrinkled sleeve. And unfortunately, there are too many of those. I hate it when you unwrap a DVD to find wrinkles - just when you think you're buying something new, it looks crinkled. In fact, I even prefer snappers over the 2-disc digipacks that Warner has been using.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks