What's new

Using a discman as a CD player? (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I have a Sony "Discman" portable CD player that has the analog audio jacks. I'm wondering can I simply connect my discman to my reciever via the analog jacks and use that as my temporary CD player rather than my DVD. I just bought my surround system and at this time currently have no money to just go out and buy a CD player. Could this work as a temporary solution? my equipment is the Sony STR-K50TP reciever.
-Keith-

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
It would work, but I would definitely treat this as a temporary solution. That is, unless you're a vinyl kind of a person and don't care for digital too much.
Edit: I also wonder if your DVD player would sound better with CDs than your Discman. Specially since you'll be using the analog outputs, that means it's the DACs in your Discman that are doing the digital-to-analog conversion. I'd suspect the DACs in your DVD player would be better, and perhaps, the DACs in your receiver might be even better (depends on the relative quality of your DVD player and your receiver). To use the DACs in your receiver, you'd have to use a digital audio connection between your DVD player and your receiver.
[Edited last by Saurav on July 13, 2001 at 03:55 PM]

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
why not just use the dvd player as the cd player. whether you're using the digital or analog signals from the dvd player, i would imagine that it would provide superior sound compared to your discman.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I tried it but it didn't work. The reason I wanted to do it this way is because I have lots of burned CDs and my DVD player (Tosh 2150 ) can't read CD-Rs and CD-RW, oh well. Thanks for your input though.
-Keith-

Chris_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I'm actually in pretty much the same boat as you. I have the toshiba 2200 dvd player, and it won't play burned discs either. I at one time did use the portable cd player for the purpose you're considering too. One alternative: if you have a computer, and it's relatively close to you system, try the cd rom. You can't switch songs from the same room sometimes, but you get the added advantage of the mp3 playback on your system. To answer your question: hell yeah, you can use it, but like saurav said, i'd probably treat this as a temp solution.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
No problem, sounds like the ideal solution for playing CD-Rs and RWs. Your DVD player will probably sound better for regular CDs though.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks