What's new

Portable CD Players (discman): Need Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I'm looking to buy a portable CD player - the equivalent of the Sony Walkman that plays cassettes - and I have three primary requirements in mind:

1. Ability to play CD-Rs (music, not data)

2. Skip protection (absolutely critical, as it will be bumped often)

3. Good sound - not flat or tinny sounding.

I'd prefer not to spend a fortune, but am willing to invest a reasonable amount, as it will get a LOT of use.

Thanks in advance for any feedback y'all can give.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I have a Panasonic portable CD player that I've used for 3 years, and it still functions very well. Mine only has a 10 second anti-shock buffer, so current models will be much better in terms of shock protection. Sound quality-wise, it's excellent; I 've used mine with Grado SR60 headphones and it's sounds great. I have also used it with a lesser lightweight Sony headphones and it still sounds decent. One thing I especially like on Panasonic models is the CD ejector....you push a buttom on the center hub and the CD will pop out. It's much better than prying the CD off of the center hub.

For what it's worth, Panasonic is the preferred brand of portable CD player over at audioasylum.com.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Sony S2 Discman

Not the smallest or slimmest, but they're built to last (and to survive droppage), have excellent shock protection, and good battery life.

Otherwise, if you're just looking for something a little less bulletproof, check out any Panasonic portable CD player for around $50 (there are many models). Skip protection and battery life are great from Panasonic, and they are well made as well (I've had mine for over 6 years, and even the lowly 10-second ESP works for all but the most rough usage).

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Thanks for replies. I think I will go with the Sony - I've had nothing but good experiences with Sony sound products, including 2 cassette Walkmans.

Now just have to decide whether to invest in a nicer set of headphones than what comes standard with the player...

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
My sony portable CD player crapped out shortly after the labor warranty expired, (90 day labor, 1 year parts). The motor that spins the CD's died. Can't say that I'm impressed with the durability. It hadn't really lived a rough life, mainly being used when I commuted via subway to work.

Better headphones - absolutely. I use a pair of sony earbud headphones that seal against your ear. Helps block out outside sound, and does a great job at doing that. They cost $50 when I picked them up, money extremely well spent.

Andrej

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I like about Sony is their TVs and portable audio devices. I've had Panasonics and Sonys. The Sonys last longer, sound better, and have had no problem playing CDRs (while the Pana's had).

As for skipping mine has something called "G-Shock" protection. I've always had it in the off position and never once has it skipped. :emoji_thumbsup:

My friend just bought this one which also plays MP3s. He uses the tape adapter for his car and it never skipped on him also. If you'd like your player to decode MP3s keep in mind that some don't ff or rw through the song as its playing but this Sony does. And one neato thing is that the disc stops spinning once the song file is in memory.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
While it's pretty much the same as Sony (since it's a subsidiary or something, right?), my Aiwa has worked great for 5 years and counting. I had a Sony before that that crapped out in a year or two (starting hearing lots of blips in every CD that I popped in, likely due to sun exposure, due to shades being open and not placing the Discman out of sight), but it was soon to be replaced because of lack of skip protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks