What's new

USHE Announcement: King Kong Ultimate Edition (2005) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was there in the crowd scene for one night of the filming. That giant Kong looked so surreal. You could see the horse fur on it blowing slightly in the breeze. Your imagination could picture Kong coming alive and really move.
They used horse fur? I wonder how many horses they had to kill to get enough?

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I read somewhere that's what they used. They could have used paint brushes for all I know. :)

EDIT: Argentinian horse tails.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I compared the run times of everything on the various DVDs (the Production Diaries set, the two disc theatrical cut and the extended edition DVD) to the new Blu-ray and for the super-super-completist, the Ultimate Edition Blu-ray is actually missing a feature from the extended edition DVD. The intro for the 'Recreating The Eighth Wonder' documentary (running 1:53 and only available by selecting Play All on the DVD) isn't ported over from the extended edition DVD set. Extremely minor but the title cards (shorter than 10 seconds each) for the 'Recreating The Eighth Wonder' segments 'Pre-Production: Construction To Filming' and 'Bringing Kong To Life: Performance And Animation' are missing too. And as previously mentioned, the DVD-ROM scripts aren't ported over from the extended edition DVD either.

No big deal but the really hardcore fan may care.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I compared the run times of everything on the various DVDs (the Production Diaries set, the two disc theatrical cut and the extended edition DVD) to the new Blu-ray and for the super-super-completist, the Ultimate Edition Blu-ray is actually missing a feature from the extended edition DVD. The intro for the 'Recreating The Eighth Wonder' documentary (running 1:53 and only available by selecting Play All on the DVD) isn't ported over from the extended edition DVD set. Extremely minor but the title cards (shorter than 10 seconds each) for the 'Recreating The Eighth Wonder' segments 'Pre-Production: Construction To Filming' and 'Bringing Kong To Life: Performance And Animation' are missing too. And as previously mentioned, the DVD-ROM scripts aren't ported over from the extended edition DVD either.

No big deal but the really hardcore fan may care.
There was a script ! :eek: it didn't look that way when I saw it ;)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'd triple dip for that sucker if it came out in a real good 3D version. My BD upscaled to 4K is good enough for me.
PJ's Kong would be great in 3D! BTW, every time I look at your avatar and signature, I eat my heart out just a little more. Just kidding. No, maybe I'm not. ;)

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Jackson repeatedly discussed his desire to convert KK05 to 3D, both immediately after its release and a few years later, when Universal's King Kong: 360 3-D ride was opened. The results would certainly be interesting but unless he can drum up serious studio support for it, à la Cameron's Titanic and T2, I can't see it happening.

Meanwhile, it looks like 4K leads the way, although a redone BD would be nice too – but unlikely. Mind you, given the way Jackson drastically revised the timing of the LotR trilogy on BD (green snow, anyone?), KK in UHD may yet hold some unwelcome surprises... :blink:

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I couldn’t find a UHD thread so I thought I’d just add to this one. I’m watching the 4K version (apparently for the first time) and this is now a reference disc for me. The image is so bright, sharp, and detailed it’s almost dimensional. The DTS:X sound is using all 7.1.4 speakers and its full and enveloping.

Both theatrical and extended versions are on the disc.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I couldn’t find a UHD thread so I thought I’d just add to this one. I’m watching the 4K version (apparently for the first time) and this is now a reference disc for me. The image is so bright, sharp, and detailed it’s almost dimensional. The DTS:X sound is using all 7.1.4 speakers and its full and enveloping.

You just pushed me into a purchase of a 4k/UHD copy of PJ's King Kong, Johnny. I've always loved the film and every word of your description made me want to see it (and hear it) again.

I think I've purchased every media release of this film. Including that huge honking DVD set with discs of all that online behind-the-scenes stuff.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You just pushed me into a purchase of a 4k/UHD copy of PJ's King Kong, Johnny. I've always loved the film and every word of your description made me want to see it (and hear it) again.

I think I've purchased every media release of this film. Including that huge honking DVD set with discs of all that online behind-the-scenes stuff.

I am tempted, but Jack Black ruined this film for me.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The skating in the park sequence is where they lost me... make an edit without that scene and I'd up my score for this one considerably. I rank that scene right down there with the Lois and Superman flying over Metropolis in Superman: The Movie as one of the scenes that take you completely out of a movie.

That said, it *is* my 2nd favorite version of the story but I'll *always* watch the 1933 over this one.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The skating in the park sequence is where they lost me... make an edit without that scene and I'd up my score for this one considerably. I rank that scene right down there with the Lois and Superman flying over Metropolis in Superman: The Movie as one of the scenes that take you completely out of a movie.

That said, it *is* my 2nd favorite version of the story but I'll *always* watch the 1933 over this one.
The skating scene was perhaps my favorite in the whole film.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Then I’ve earned my commission. I also have the Hugh honking DVD set and have not watched much of it. On this Ultimate version, I believe all that content from the DVD set is included.

I am tempted, but Jack Black ruined this film for me.
He didn’t ruin the film For me, but he was not a strong casting choice.

For me the strongest part of this movie is the “new” Kong. He enjoys beauty such as a sunset and can have fun. I loved that scene. In the original, Ann is constantly terrorized by Kong, here they become friends. Love it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
He didn’t ruin the film For me, but he was not a strong casting choice.
I wasn't sure when it started but he wasn't as bad as I expected. Not great but does a very serviceable job.

The skating scene was perhaps my favorite in the whole film.

For me the strongest part of this movie is the “new” Kong. He enjoys beauty such as a sunset and can have fun. I loved that scene. In the original, Ann is constantly terrorized by Kong, here they become friends. Love it.
From what I read that's what most people say and feel about that scene. I was bored to death by it. Like that Superman/Lois scene I *always* skip the skating scene when watching the movie.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I really liked the scene in which Naomi Watts was dancing in front of Kong. In fact, Naomi Watts is one of the reasons I like the PJ version so much.

I've got a great memory attached to that film, too, as I took my dad to see that film in the theater (along with my son). He didn't go out to the movies all that often. He really enjoyed the entire experience--including the film. My dad was born in 1932 and died in '13...and having that kind of fun at the movies took him back to when he was a kid when he would go to the local spitbox around the corner from his house and see the Saturday matinees and such. He couldn't do that a lot as a kid...making those events that much more special.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

I just purchased a Pannny 420 to enhance my UHD KK. Wow, it looks super on the pj now. For me, you have to watch the extended version to really appreciate his magic. I have that huge DVD box set too and haven’t ever opened it. Maybe one day I’ll sell it.

Thanks Johnny for revisiting this thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks