What's new

USHE Announcement: King Kong Ultimate Edition (2005) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I like the kitschy style of the 1976 King Kong. Also, I've always had a rule that any film with Jeff Bridges is worthwhile. So...

Bring on the Rick Baker monkey!

kong-smile.jpg

And, yes... her name is Dwan.

King-Kong-1976-Jeff-Bridges-Jessica-Lange.png

tumblr_mxg5zc9tEt1rj28rmo1_1280.jpg

It certainly is a silly film! :rolling-smiley:

This aggression will not stand, man.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yup, I like all three versions & have them all on Blu-ray, & I don't think the Jackson is too long, I always look at the longer version (how could they cut out those great creature sequences?), but like everyone else, I think they could cut out the ice scene (but then it's only a minute or so long). I hope I like the new one, it looks like it could be daft but fun.
I love the ice scene. They are already friends and Ann's reaction when she sees he can play is marvelous.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yup, I like all three versions & have them all on Blu-ray, & I don't think the Jackson is too long, I always look at the longer version (how could they cut out those great creature sequences?), but like everyone else, I think they could cut out the ice scene (but then it's only a minute or so long). I hope I like the new one, it looks like it could be daft but fun.

Where is King Kong 76 available on blu Ray??

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Where is King Kong 76 available on blu Ray??

I bought the French release ages ago, it's region free & I think looks very nice. There was an Australian release & it's just been released in Germany, but I don't know the region situation with those two. I think the reason it hasn't got a US release yet, is that outside America it's controlled by Studio Canal & in America it's Paramount, & not many catalogue titles coming from there.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews46/king_kong_76_blu-ray.htm

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I remember they built a mechanical King Kong for the 1976 movie. They only show it in a few scenes thank God!

tumblr_mru5w7wIv31qz5q5lo1_500.gif

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I remember they built a mechanical King Kong for the 1976 movie. They only show it in a few scenes thank God!

My recollection was that the "life size" Kong was a big marketing point for the movie. The made a big deal out of the actually giant Kong. Then he's only briefly in the move and, like you said, thankfully only briefly. He moved very slowly and had little range of motion. It was immediately obvious he wasn't the guy in the suit.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, I think that's all the movement it had! And it looks nothing like the man-in-a-suit Kong that's in the rest of the film (Rick Baker with a very good ape mask that he made for the film). It was all a publicity con for the film, ridiculous, but we all wanted to believe it, what's cooler than a full size mechanical Kong stomping around!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yes, I think that's all the movement it had! And it looks nothing like the man-in-a-suit Kong that's in the rest of the film (Rick Baker with a very good ape mask that he made for the film). It was all a publicity con for the film, ridiculous, but we all wanted to believe it, what's cooler than a full size mechanical Kong stomping around.
Yeah, we drank the kool aide. ;)

In movies where the monster is stop-motion or a guy in a suit, when they go to a tight face shot, it has always been obvious that it's a mechanical face and not animated. Black Scorpion, Beast from 20K, for example.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Great score by John Barry.

Yes! Those descending pipe organ notes in "The Opening" are so distinct and unique to this score. However, I still hear bits and pieces of the classic Bond scores throughout as well. It's more of a Barry signature thing but I still can't help myself from feeling like 007 is just around the corner when some of those flourishes ring in one's ear.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIcYV22RHLEl14yBlVgkO5aEk1RHRAY3O

I saw this movie in the theater when I was very impressionable at eight years old so it will always be an old favorite no matter how silly it is because it wasn't silly to me then. I bought into the whole kit-and-kaboodle, hook, line, and sinker!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I, too, own all 3 versions because it's King Kong and like each for what they offer, although the original is the only one I regularly re-watch.

I also own copies of the US edits of Ishiro Honda's/Toho's King Kong vs. Godzilla and King Kong Escapes (which are quite fun).

And that horrible, takes-you-out-of-the-movie-completely/momentum killing, skating scene is only a "minute or so long?" I'd swear it's at least 4 or 5! Sure feels like it!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I love the skating scene. It makes what comes after that much more heart-breaking.
And it's a continuation of what we've seen before when Ann and Kong are on the mountain enjoying the sunset. Kong is a sentient creature that can appreciate the beauty of nature. Why shouldn't he also enjoy play?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Thanks Mr Reid, the many extras are great, at least another evenings viewing, & the set is cheap (it'll be £6 by the time I get around to buying it), so I feel a double-dip coming on. The UK set is only two Blu-rays, no DVD, which suits me.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Bringing this thread back OT for just a minute, I've done an Amazon review for the Ultimate Edition Blu-ray set, detailing exactly what it does and doesn't contain.
It was your review that made me consider purchasing a used BR copy of the old release instead of this new one. That's before I knew it came from you, which doesn't change my mind, I just find it a humorous coincidence. I'm not a "special features" person so with the feature disc being identical, other than disc art, to the earlier releases I can safely ignore this one. I already have the theatrical and SE DVD sets so will either combine all the discs in a single case or give away the DVDs and keep that single BR.

I wasn't planning to upgrade this one at all until I pulled out the DVD a week or so back for a quick look. The transfer isn't that good. In fact, I was somewhat surprised at how "bad" it looked in comparison to the LOTR and Hobbit films on DVD. I'll give it another look before deciding but am strongly leaning towards a replacement. Now it's mainly a matter of waiting for this new release to drop further in price, which I expect, or simply purchase a used copy of a prior release, toward which I'm leaning.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

I was there in the crowd scene for one night of the filming. That giant Kong looked so surreal. You could see the horse fur on it blowing slightly in the breeze. Your imagination could picture Kong coming alive and really move.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yes! Those descending pipe organ notes in "The Opening" are so distinct and unique to this score. However, I still hear bits and pieces of the classic Bond scores throughout as well. It's more of a Barry signature thing but I still can't help myself from feeling like 007 is just around the corner when some of those flourishes ring in one's ear.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIcYV22RHLEl14yBlVgkO5aEk1RHRAY3O

I saw this movie in the theater when I was very impressionable at eight years old so it will always be an old favorite no matter how silly it is because it wasn't silly to me then. I bought into the whole kit-and-kaboodle, hook, line, and sinker!

This is really good music. Enjoyed it very much. I agree there is some Bond in there too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks