What's new

Used Yamaha receiver sold as New (1 Viewer)

Willy_Loo

Auditioning
Not sure if this is the forum to post this but here goes anyways... Last week I bought a Yamaha RX-V2400 from a local authorized dealer. As I took the unit home to open it, below are some of the observations I made which made suspicious if the unit is brand new.

1. Tape (used to secure the top of the box) was slit at both ends.
2. Scratch above the top-right screw in the back panel. This scratch has exposed some bare metal underneath.
3. Orange-pinkish crystalline residue found at bottom right corner of unit’s front. Still wondering why this is there even though I’m able to clean it off easily.
4. The 4 legs supporting the unit seem to show obvious signs/scratches of prior use.

As this is my first receiver, and I've spent a lot of time researching, I feel extremely disappointed with Yamaha (and/or their authorzied dealer). I've contacted Yamaha's customer via their website, and I'll be contacting my dealer but I don't know if I'll get a replacement.

If anyone has any advice on what to do in this situation, it'll be much appreciated. Again, I apologize if this is the wrong forum to post this.

kevitra

Second Unit
Sounds like they sold a returned product as new. Is the dealer an authorized dealer? What does your receipt say about returns?

If you can return it for a full refund, I would return it and purchase a new one elsewhere. I personally won't give them any of my money if they tried to pull one over on me (assuming that is what they were doing).

At a minimum they need to get you a new unit.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Well misrepresenting an item like that is fraudulent. They has a legal obligation to provide you with what they sold you.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Just go right back to the dealer immediately. They should replace it on the spot, and provide you an apology.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
What everyone said above. And do not wait - go back to your "authorized dealer" immediately. Another idea - make a list before you go, and take it with you. Don't take a chance on the emotion of the moment making you forget something when you're there. If you walk back in with the box and a carefully prepared list documenting all the the unexpected things you found with your "new" product it should be an immediate resolution in your favor. Hint number 2 is to not make accusations nor be confrontational (at least not until they act like jerks ;~). Help make it easier for them to give you the outcome you want. You know someone must have put that box back in the wrong pile, or else maybe they accepted a return that was so carefully repackaged that they did not notice & still thought it was a new unopened box. Yeah, right - but give 'em the benefit of the doubt and get a truly new 2400. It's a wunnerful unit!

WendyS

Stunt Coordinator
There are several items in the box that should be in sealed plastic......the remote, antennas, power cord, batteries, etc. Were they? I'd definately return it. I usually don't leave the store without inspecting the box to see if the original seal is intact.

Willy_Loo

Auditioning
Thanks for all the advice. Everything else in the box looks brand new except for the unit itself. The dealer is also an authorized dealer listed on Yamaha's website. For those interested, the location is Greenville, SC.

I've been waffling if I should go back to the dealer because I've hooked up the unit in my excitement (this being my first receiver). Also I could not hear any indication of sound distortion so I feel I might be making a big fuss for nothing.

Still, the sense that it's not a new unit is eating at me constantly. In any case, I'll be going back to the dealer this afternoon with a list of items I found (as advised above). We'll see how it goes...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks