What's new

Yamaha TSR-700 Random Power Cycling (1 Viewer)

Araboy21

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I had no issues with my Pioneer 5.1 receiver (VSX-D814) that is about 20 years old. I purchased the Klipsch 5.1 reference series home theater speakers and the Pioneer system worked fine with them but I didn't have any Bluetooth or wifi functionality and didn't have the option to add any more channels. I decided I needed a receiver that has more modern features.
I purchased a new Yamaha TSR-700 on 2/22/22 from Costco.com and received it on 2/25. With the chip scarcity, it kept becoming available online and selling out quickly. I am hesitant to return it because I don't know when I'll get a replacement.

I connected everything and plugged it in and ran all of the firmware updates.
During the setup of the unit, it turned off and back on on its own multiple times but I assumed it may need to do that with the firmware updates.

Once everything was good to go, we watched a movie. The receiver shuts off and turns immediately back on on its own at random intervals.
Knowing the most common causes of such issues, I disconnected ALL of the speakers AND the HDMI connections. The only wire connected to the unit now is the power cord.

I timed the shut downs today and here are the first five:
11:00 minutes - turned off and right back on
19:00 minutes - turned off and right back on
19:30 minutes - turned off
Turned it on and...
0:20 turned off and right back on
2:00 turned off and right back on
At that point, I just unplugged it and gave up.

I never had an issue with my Pioneer receiver shutting down unexpectedly including with the new Klipsch speaker system.

I used a multimeter to check the current coming through the plug by using a surge protector power strip and there didn't seem to be any correlation between voltage and the shutdowns.

I can't think of anything that I haven't tried. I assume it must be a problem with the receiver itself.

Any thoughts on what I could check or something I didn't try?

My next step is to call Yamaha tomorrow since they don't have hours on Saturdays or Sundays. I am expecting that I will either have to return to Costco or send the unit to Yamaha for repairs. Both options mean I won't have a receiver for an indefinite period. Just hoping someone has a good idea that I haven't thought of yet.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks