What's new

How to Reset Power on a Yamaha RX-A1080? (1 Viewer)

Duke Raoul

Auditioning
Real Name
Malcolm
I have a new Yamaha RX-A1080 that suits my needs perfectly. Unfortunately, last weekend my apartment building suffered from a series of power surges, and my unit's "protection circuitry" was activated. Now if I attempt to power on the unit, the power LED simply blinks three times, and the manual simply says (unhelpfully) to contact a Yamaha dealer. I have found fixes for this problem on older Yamaha receivers, but nothing so far for an RX-A1080. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I would like to save a trip to the service centre, if at all possible. Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Have you tried any of the methods you've found to see if they work?

Duke Raoul

Auditioning
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, the methods I found supported older Yamaha AV receivers, ways of resetting their circuitry protection with various front-panel button combinations, so I thought there may be a similar combination out there for the newer RX-A1080 with its own button layouts and functions. I have been searching high and low on the net without success, so I thought I would join a couple of these forums and ask the real experts.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's one of those things that's so random, it'll be the luck of finding someone who has dealt with that specific model. Usually you can find it online, but not in this case, it seems. The processes I saw for older models were a lot more elaborate than the ones I've been familiar with. Usually it's just a matter of holding down a specific button with the unit powered off, then holding down the power button for a few seconds. Yamaha doesn't appear to want to make it that simple.

Unfortunately it could be seriously damaged and that won't fix it.

Duke Raoul

Auditioning
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes, thank you. I will give it a few more days of searching and posting, but I may soon have to bite the bullet and spend money on something for which I have already paid. I do not think the unit is seriously damaged (I have seen much worse), but it is worth it to see whether their circuitry protection lives up to its name, and Yamaha to their reputation.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sheesh, I forgot. The first thing to do is disconnect the power for a while. Give it an hour. Then plug it back in. See if that helps, if you haven't done that already.

Duke Raoul

Auditioning
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes, thank you again, but I have done that already, disconnects lasting many hours, and still no change.

xx Brian xx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Reset_1000-1040.jpg

Duke Raoul

Auditioning
Real Name
Malcolm
Brain,

Thank you so much for this how-to in resetting my unit, but unfortunately it does not address the problem with circuitry protection lock. The power LED simply blinks a number of times as before. I will, however, keep your post in my back pocket for future reference if/when I can ever bring the unit back to life.

Duke Raoul

Auditioning
Real Name
Malcolm
Brian,

A question occurs to me. Could you tell me where you found those resetting instructions? Like I said, I have looked high and low on the net for anything about the RX-A1080, but I never found those instructions. Perhaps that source could lead me to feasible solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dckbrown
Recent bookmarks