What's new

Upgrading to Dish 500 (1 Viewer)

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Hello all!

I have a question for everybody. I want to upgrade to Dish 500, mainly just for the ability to get my local channels. I currently have the regular Dish Network setup with the model 4500 receiver. It has the capability to receive both satellites as there is a dish 500 check box in the signal set up. Here is what I need to know. I won on ebay a dish 500 dish but it does not have the LNB. Can I use my current LNB? The LNB I have you can hook up two receivers. My thinking is that I can use my LNB and use the sw-21 switch. Will that work??

Thanks in advance!!

--Ian

Morlan Liu

Stunt Coordinator
The easiest method is to get a TWIN LNB. They go for about $25.00 on eBay. I know, I just sold one. =) That's the easiest way to get both satellites for two receivers.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
You do need an LNB for each satellite. Whether you have two single, dual output LNBs or a Twin is up to you.

You currently have a single, dual output LNB, capable of driving two receivers. If you got an UPGRADE dish 500 dish, it will have a plastic "Y" on the end of the LNB arm. Use your existing LNB on one side. You would need an additional LNB of the same type for the other side, plus a multiswitch of some sort - depending on how many receivers you have. If you only have one receiver, a SW21 switch will suffice, and you could always add another SW21 if need be, for another receiver.

If you don't have the plastic "Y", you could go with the twin LNB. You do NOT want a DishPRO LNB, it would not be compatible with your receiver. Get a LEGACY TWIN. I don't know if these have the multiswitches built in or not, so I can't advise you there.

You might ask this over at
www.dbstalk.com

-Scott

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
Or you could do like I did a month ago and switch to DTV. I had Dish for 2+ years and I now know that I prefer DTV, just MHO, but true. There are some really good deals floating around right now for new DTV customers.

If you decide to switch, you have got to check-out the Hughes hdvr2 DTV sat recv with Tivo. This unit has been the best thing to hit TV since color. I and a lot of others just love ours. If interested, check out www.tivocommunity.com

They have a forum dedicated to these things.

MikeS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks