New DishNetwork Customer wants opinions, Please.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris Lanni, May 27, 2006.

1. Chris Lanni

Chris Lanni Stunt Coordinator

Christopher
    Hi guys and gals,

So after 6-7 years of watching nothing but movies on my DVD player; I have decided to try out some good old fashioned tv watching. I had Dish out to do the install last Thursday and am now wondering if I am too spoiled after so many years of watching nothing but DVD's. I am so unsatisfied with the picture quality that I am trying to figure, within my 30 days, whether I want it removed. I have a 27" Toshiba crt from about 5 years ago, so I know I do not have the best tv, but what I am trying to figure out is can I get a better picture with a new tv, or is it just going to point out more flaws. I am basically looking for opinions on what would be the best tv technology for dish, whether or not cable would give a better picture, or if it is my standard dish receiver (311) that is just plain poopy. I do have them coming out next Saturday to upgrade me to a 625 with DVR capabilities, but will that really give me a better picture? I am just so disappointed; I was really excited since I was catching the end of the NBA season and can watch the games now; I have not seen an NBA game in over 5 years. Other info pertaining to the install: I have the dish 500, only one room, and one tv.

I appreciate any, and everyone who has dish, direct tv, and cable to come on in and set me straight.[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

My wife has the 311 and I have a 522 (DVR) (2 rooms wires). We get the same video quality; it's not the box.

Here's how I see it: I definitely had better video quality with analog cable. But the digital cable channels were worse than Dish. (I had Comcast.) Plus, the big reason why I switched was cost: for me, Comcast without a DVR was $65/month with another increase in the wings. I got a comparable channel selection with Dish, with a DVR, for $55 a month.

I have a friend with DirecTV, and his video quality is no better or worse than what I have. The problem is all the compression that everyone does to increase the number of channels we get (that most of us don't want or watch).

The best quality you're going to get would probably be with an antenna. [​IMG]

Or, try HD. But I still have my reservations that none of cable or satellite is going to deliver *true* HD video quality without compression artifacts there too.

One suggestion I can make, is to use the best connection method you can: component is better than S-video is better than composite is better than RF. And to minimize the number of splitters on the line.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I also have Dish Network and the picture quality is excellent. You should have a great picture with a small set like that. What kind of video cable are you using from satelllite receiver to TV? You should be using at least S-video, and better yet component cable if your TV has it.

4. Chris Lanni

Christopher
    When he first installed the receiver, the installer used coax cable from the receiver to the tv. This produced a lousy picture and I immediately went out and bought an s-video cable to try out. After I made the switch the picture was noticeably better, but there is a huge lack of detail and blacks seem to blend together to where you cannot distinguish where one thing begins and another ends. For example lets say there is an actor on screen and he is wearing black pants and a black shirt; you would just see a huge blob of black and not be able to see where his shirt ends and his pants begin. Kind of hard for me to explain, as I do not know all of the technical terms. I was just so pumped up for tv viewing after 6 years of only movies, and now I am crapped out, and empty. I would love to hook the receiver up with component, but there are only three connections on the 311: RF, composite, and s-video. Also, those same three connections are on the 625, so I will not get any better connections with a different receiver. You have to step up to the vip HD receivers to get component. Thanks guys, I truely appreciate the replies.

Chris

5. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    It sounds to me like you may need to check the settings on your TV, especially contrast and brightness. Do you have access to a calibration disc such as Avia, Digital Video Essentials? If not, use any DVD that has the THX Optimizer on it.

6. Chris Lanni

Christopher
    Thanks for the idea Jim; I have already done that, though, with my dvd player. The only thing, though, do you think that I have to do it with every input? That is something I did not think of; I did it on dvd player running through the component input. With my receiver running through the s-video input do I have to calibrate that input as well? Maybe I am just to spoiled with all the years of watching nothing but dvd's.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Chris: *Start* with a DVD calibration disc, and then adjust by eye for satellite. The DVD cal disc is only valid for the DVD player you are using to the TV. Other inputs and sources (like satellite) will be different.

8. Chris Lanni

Christopher
    Kevin and Jim, both of you have given great input. I did tweak some of the settings on the s-video input and it is getting better, I just need more time to finish. Three more questions for you guys.

1. Since I am in upgraditis anyways, do you think I will get better pic quality going with a new hdtv (I am currently looking at dlp around 60 inches), or will it bring out more flaws and artifacts since the new technology is brutally honest to the source?

2. Would a new tv with a dvr built in be better or worse than the dish network dvr?

3. Do you know where there is a good primer, or faq specifically about programming, whether it be cable, satellite, or an antennae mounted to the house? I am trying to figure out how to do things like use an antennae to get hd over the air for free and what I would need in a tv and an antennae, etc.

This one is for Kevin specifically; I noticed the link in your sig does not work, is it something interesting?

Thanks again.

Chris

Oh... this discussion is not just for the three of us, anyone can chime in with more goods stuffs.

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Ooh: old link. I will update it.

1) How far away are you sitting? (Personally, I'm not a big fan of DLP because of the Rainbow Effect. I think Sony has a 60" SXRD 3 LCD RP that I'd look at.)

2) Don't do it. [​IMG] If you buy a display with a DVR, then you can't upgrade the DVR in the future without tossing the set. To be honest, I can't tell the difference in video quality between a live feed and recorded programs. I have a 522, and I'd bet the new 625 is similar.

10. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    There's not an FAQ for programming. Dish and DirecTV have their information on their sites. You will have to check with your local cable company for their line-up. For OTA digital TV, you the appropriate size/type antenna for your location and the signal that your local stations are broadcasting. Start at AntennaWeb. Your TV needs an ATSC tuner for OTA HD. It needs a QAM tuner for un-encrypted digital channels over cable. It needs a cable card for encrypted digital channels over cable. Or you can just get an HDTV monitor like I did and use external boxes to do all of the tuning. Depends on your situation. I share my HD DirecTivo between a 55" Mistubishi rear projection TV and a Panasonic 900 projector. Since we only use one TV at a time, it fit our situation.

-Robert

11. Chris Lanni

Christopher

Pertaining to number one above; I am sitting about 9 feet away. Why? What are you thinking for a distance such as that?

I had not even thought about the upgrade options and concur with your point on number two. Thanks for the insight.

Robert_J,

Thanks for the help as well. So if I get a 60" hdtv and satellite is optimized for 30" then I may see some crazy, ugly poops?

Chris

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Chris- OK, if you're 9 feet away, and you want a 60" screen, I can pretty much guarentee that SD Dish or DirecTV or any kind of SD cable isn't going to look very good. [​IMG] (Too much scaling is necessary, and SD cable and satellite are all too compressed to begin with.) You need to go with an HD feed.

13. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I watch a lot of standard def DirecTV on a 55" television. It's watchable. I knew going in that it wasn't going to be perfect so I overlook the compression artifacts and just watch the show.

-Robert

14. Chris Lanni

Christopher

Wow, and that's even with an HD receiver with component outputs.

Anyone know what the difference between a Dish network 522 receiver and a newer 625? The only reason I ask is because I have had Dish out to the house twice already and they keep bringing the wrong receiver out. The first time I signed up online and asked for the dvr; they brought out the 311 which has no dvr. This past time they were bringing out the 625 which has the dvr and the guy shows up with the 522. I am still under my 30 day money back period and want to make sure I have it right the first time. I feel bad making them come out, but at the same time I am indulging in something new and want the best allowable to me, not sloppy seconds; and if I wait till after the 30 days it will cost me.

chris

15. dailW

dailW Stunt Coordinator

i've had dish network for 5 years now.if you have a standard t.v. p.q. is fine and a good deal. if you have a high-def t.v.big problems.got a high-def receiver a year ago.without telling me , a few months later , they came out with a new HD receiver that can get more channels in HD.their HD is overrated.

16. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

17. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Chris,

I might be getting into this late, but we recently upgraded from cable TV to Direct TV (thanks again to Robert J and others who helped guide us in that decision). I, too was expecting it to be as good as DVD, and was disappointed to see that it isn’t. It’s not as sharp, and doesn’t have near the detail, as you’ve already figured out. However, since it’s virtually devoid of any video noise, that in itself makes it much better than cable, so I feel it was worth the effort. Not to mention, the DVR is way cool – I’m so glad we didn’t get a DVD recorder!

That said, we maintain our TV antenna, run through a VCR which acts as a tuner. The picture is definitely better than Direct, and fortunately many of the shows we like are on broadcast channels.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

+1!! Make sure your TV is set up. NTSC Dish Network has an adequate picture for a TV of that size.