What's new

Upgrading my computer.. Help? (1 Viewer)

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Unless you're playing video games or doing other extremely video intensive operations, just about any onboard solution is going to be perfectly sufficient.
I will be using this about 1/2 the time for gaming, and the games will be pretty demanding, graphics-wise, so I will have to go pretty top-shelf, when considering a graphics card. Right now the Radeon 9700pro is looking good, hopefully the price will come down by next year..

Thanks for your comments!!

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Just checked out Dell. Even with a moniter they had everything I wanted (2.8 P4C 800mhz, etc.) and more (a Radeon 9800 Pro) for $2,500 CDN without tax or shipping..

They'll DEFINATELY be worth looking into next year!

RandyObert

Agent
Won't that be bottom of the barrel a year from now?
As I tell my customers, "Purchasing a PC is like buying milk, it has a shelf life and the clock is ticking from day 1"

I suggest determining your budget first.
Determine Features Needed
Re-evaluate your budget
Con Wife
Re-evalute budget
Order the best you can muster

You will do well to find a local builder (PC Shop) as they will be able to provide you with warranty service,(And NO shipping charges, these can add up fast if you have a PC with problems)

And you should be able to upgrade later as they will use industry standard parts as opposed to "proprietary" boards that are unique to a maker.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I know what kind of components I want (and will have, dammit! :) ). I'm sure the price will have come down by the time I'm ready to buy when the Prescotts roll out next year. So money shouldn't be an issue..

There's a local shop here, but they are pushing budget stuff (their "dream machine" has a Geforce 4200ti..). Hopefully I can get them to get the other stuff I want.

I don't plan to upgrade for at least 4 years after this, and will probably have to start from scratch again anyways, so I won't bother building with upgradablity in mind, ie. getting the lowest speed of P4 processor and going with a faster one later..

Thanks for your comments!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks