What's new

Upgrade Questions? (1 Viewer)

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted some opinions on my set up I am looking into.

Receiver

Harman Kardon AVR120 or AVR220 depends on the prices I can get.

Speakers

JBL NPS-1, don't know what sub to go with yet.(249 free shipping)

DVD

Panasonic RP-56(low 200's)

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Currently I have the Sony HT in a box from a few years ago no DTS, and a Sony 550 DVD

Thanks

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I would stick with the JBL subs, from J and R. You get free shipping as well. The H/K choice makes me think you are leaning more to music as well as HT. If so, I own the PB10 and can tell you it is measurably more 'musical' than the PB12 to my ears but I'm sure others have their own opinions. The PB12 is definitely more punchy for HT.

I think the Perfect Vision has an article this issue on the RP-56. While they continue to like the Sony 700 better, they really liked the Panny.

Sounds like a good step-up from the HT-in-a-box.

Good Luck.

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding the use of the receiver it will be for movies 90% of the time, is the H/K not the right choice. If not please give me some suggestions. My one concern is is the H/K underpowered?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I certainly don't think so but then I never drive my HT system to ear-ringing levels. I don't even like it in the theaters when it's that loud. With the H/K's you will get clean power delivery even at higher volume levels but don't expect such power to fill a very large space. For that I would certainly recommend more juice. And if you go with the entry H/K's, you are limiting the future growth potential.

Denon 1802 for similar $ as the 220 or similar Yamaha would be in order. The one nice thing about any of these is the availability of pre-outs for power upgrading. If that is the plan then the H/K's under consideration will not do. To stay with Harman you would need the 320.

But if this is an all in one system you have planned for NOW, I see nothing wrong with the 120 or 220. I own the 510 and love the H/K sound.

I believe Onecall has an open box 220 right now for $330.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks