What's new

Upgrade from Sony Str De925 (1 Viewer)

SeanDuffy

Auditioning
Hey guys i have been looking to upgrade to a new receiver my Sony has some issues and I want 6.1 surround with Es so i can watch and enjoy star wars in its glory along with Lord of the rings.

Now i can spend no more than 300. What should I go with. Please help i want a new one this weekend, early next week.

thanks

sean

SeanDuffy

Auditioning
This is mainly used for Home theater and Xbox and some music at times. I dont have HDtv but would like to get it in the next 2-3 years.

Marc H

Second Unit
Hey Sean,
Does it do that with all the speakers disconnected too? If it doesn't then try adding one speaker at a time until the problem occurs. You may have a short in a speaker wire or in a woofer voice coil.

SeanDuffy

Auditioning
I have tried powering the thing with no speakers or any devices connected to it and still have problems. Thats why I want to get a new receiver and right now the money is tight.

SeanDuffy

Auditioning
I have been thinking about getting the Onkyo 501 or the Pioneer 912. Or is there something else that I should look into. I want to enjoy my new movies with 6.1

thanks

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well 6.1 is pretty new and you can't really even tell the difference from what I have heard. You can't really localize sounds in the back too well so it won't exactly sound too good... although with LOTR it's alright....

If you can find the Harman/Kardon AVR-230 then it's a great 6.1 reciever, if not the Onkyo 501 will do... alright.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You won't find many receivers that are not 6.1 anymore, but that doesn't mean you have to use it. It DOES make a difference, but mostly with 6.1 (EX/ES) material, IMO. I went back to 5.1 from 6.1 and I am still very happy with the sound.

Check around for the H/K 325 and 225, since they are last years models, you might be able to find a deal on them if you can find any. Marantz SR4300 or 5300 have also been replaced with new models as well, so look for them on clearance right now.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I just installed a couple of sub $200 Onkyo SR-501's, I'd give it the best under $200 reciever with 6 amps, 6.1 processing capabilities and component video switching.

I was extremely impressed with the unit.

SeanDuffy

Auditioning
i quess what I am really looking for is the ES and EX 6.1, so i can watch those movies will the onkyo 501 do that.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, and it does them quite well!!!!!!
The thing sounded like a truly pro piece of equipment.
It will be mighty fine in all but the largest rooms, where more power would be needed.

Unlike some on here, I see real good advantage to 6.1, especialy in a relvolving circular motion sound, that is supposed to be going all the way around your head multiple times.

Jason_A

Stunt Coordinator
Sean does it come on but no sound for a few seconds. I mean do the lights come on then there is a sound delay. Then it clicks and there is sound?

If that is the case mine does to. I assume it is the receiver warming up. No problem really just got to plan for that.

As for 6.1 and 7.1 even 8.1 thats all your gonna find nowadays as for which brand go listen to a few.

Jason

Jason_A

Stunt Coordinator
If he is having this problem and it is in the minutes range though it seems to be a problem but on mine its a few secs and the sound clicks in. Mine turns on the lights and all.

SeanDuffy

Auditioning
I decided to pick up the Onkyo 501. I got it at Circuit City. I got them down to 219.99 without the speakers that they are offering. But still a great deal.

sean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks