What's new

Sony STR-DA3ES Opinions and etc (1 Viewer)

Michael Thompson

Auditioning
Long story short, my ongoing struggle to get my DTR-DE925 replaced(lightning strike, insurance is replacing) has gone from them replacing it with a DB-940, then that was no longer available so I chipped in some extra to upgrade to the V333ES, now that's not available. So, get this, now they are providing me with a DA3ES for the same money :D
I would like to hear from some of you that have some experience with this model. Can you give me an idea of what to expect from it? Remember, I come from owning a DE-925, so obviously the ES will be a leap up, but what's the general opinion on this unit?
As always, thanks for all the feedback!

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
I don't think you'll find many direct opinions of the DA3ES in here. The DA3ES doesn't have DPLII so most people opt for the DA5ES instead as that tends to be a checklist item these days :) However it seems that other than some processing options such as that they seem to be nearly identical units in quality so perhaps looking at reviews of the DA5ES will provide you with some insight. You can take a look at both of them at crutchfield.com if that helps you out, too.
Speaking for myself; I just ordered a DA5ES from Oade Bros ($775 delivered!) so apparently I had a high enough opinion of it :D
Hope this helps :)
-- Dave

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Dobly 2 is not a make or break issue in my book. But to each his own. If your budget is in that range, I would consider the Sony DA3es and the hk 520. Evendently the 3es is discrete 6.1 ES according to there web site info at Sony Style.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sounds like a good deal to me. DEFINITELY an upgrade from the 925.

I have read to the contrary that the 3ES is NOT ES capable, it can apparently DECODE, but does not have the amplification. It does not have internal amps for the 6/7th channel, only a preamp out, so only 5.1 power on-board. I just helped a friend install his two weeks ago. Very nice sounding unit I must say.

The primary differenfces, as I understood them, between the 5ES and 3ES were that the 3ES has a little less power, no LCD remote, no DTS ES and no PLII.

*edit: what you SHOULD invest in, is probably a good surge suppressor.

Michael Thompson

Auditioning
I have a surge supressor, but apparently GOOD is the key word :)
Actually there is a picture on Crutchfield's website of the back of the unit and it does have terminals for a surround back speaker, so it will do 6.1 but I'm not sure it's a true discrete channel (could it be pulling an "out-of-phase" signal from the surrounds similar to the way the surround channels used to be pulled from Dolby Pro-Logic?)
Thanks everyone for the opinions. It's a done deal anyway, but I just wanted some feedback on what to expect!

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Go to the Sony Style site!

There's a world of digital entertainment waiting for you to enjoy -- Sony's STR-DA3ES Audio/Video Receiver can help take you there. Featuring Dolby Digital™ EX 6.1 Channel Decoding, a 32-bit decoder that achieves a 16-fold improvement in processing precision, and dts® ES decoding which delivers discrete Surround-Back-Left and Surround Back-Right channels to listeners with the equipment to reproduce it, this receiver takes digital entertainment to the next level. Additional features include 32-bit x3 DSP Decoding, Digital Cinema Sound™, and Digital Concert Hall Modes. These features and more come together to create the Elevated Standard receiver that delivers the high impact audio and video you desire.

FEATURES:

100 watts x 6, 20-20,000HZ, 8 OHMS, 0.05%THD in Surround Mode

32 Bit + Dual 32 Bit Digital Signal Processing

Assignable Digital Inputs 4 optical input / 2 coaixal inputs

Powered/Passive Multi-Room/Multi-Source Audio and Video Output (2nd zone powered/ 2nd zone passive A/V)

RS-232C Input for software upgradeability

100 watts x 2, 20-20,000HZ, 8 OHMS, 0.05%THD, in Stereo Mode

6.1 Channel Decoding with Virtual Matrix 6.1 Mode

HD Component Video Switching (2 In/ 1 Out)

5es

OVERVIEW:

Sony’s STR-DA5ES Audio/Video Receiver embodies the digital expertise of Sony ES. Providing a new age of surround sound performance, this receiver features Dolby Digital™ EX 6.1 Channel Decoding, a 32-bit decoder that achieves a 16-fold improvement in processing precision, and dts® ES decoding providing discrete Surround-Back-Left and Surround Back-Right channels to listeners with the equipment to reproduce it. In addition, the STR-DA5ES incorporates four times the computing speed of some corporate mainframes, and features 32-bit x3 Digital Signal Processing at 60 million instructions per second. Witness our Digital Cinema Sound™ and Concert Hall Acoustics produce exquisite digital audio that could only be Sony ES.

FEATURES:

110 watts x 6, 20-20,000HZ, 8 OHMS, 0.05%THD in Surround Mode

2 Way LCDRemote Control - Pre-programmed + Learning + Macro Capability

32 Bit + Dual 32 Bit Digital Signal Processing

Assignable Digital Inputs 4 optical input / 2 coaixal inputs

Powered/Passive Multi-Room/Multi-Source Audio and Video Output (passive A/V second zone, powered 3rd zone)

RS-232C Input for software upgradeability

110 watts x 2, 20-20,000HZ, 8 OHMS, 0.05%THD, in Stereo Mode

2ND Remote Control in box for 2nd/3rd zone control

6.1 Channel Decoding with Virtual Matrix 6.1 Mode

HD Component Video Switching (2 In/ 1 Out)

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Well- I took the plunge and ordered the 5ES from OneCall (Excelllent Shipped Price by the way).

I considered the AVR 520, Onkyo 797 and the Denon 3802.

The deal maker for me was the RS-232 Port for future upgrade. I am planning to keep this and use it as a PRE-PRO later when I have the funds for separates.

I will give a FULL REPORT when I get it Monday or Tuesday.

I want to thank everyone specially Earl for making this a lot simpler that I thought It would.

Angelo

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Steves last day is Fri at 6th ave. Going to USAF.

Quote=

I have one more day after today and I am gone. If you have any questions or need anything else just call Phil at x 513. He knows to hook you up…

Thanks

Steven Hayes

Sony does not say you have to buy off that list. Only Denon and Yamaha do that. All you need is a receipt! OADES is an authorized dealer and your warranty is good. I emailed them on this issue.

All the site says is a certain level of service is supposedly offered. There must be a thousand dealers at Disney World selling stuff around the Orlando area and they all have the authorized dealer sign up from Sony. That is the one good thing about Sony is the widespread dealerships around the world and their liberal warranty policy.

quote from sony=

Your warranty will be honored at any Sony authorized servicer or Sony

Service

Center and you will only need your copy of a bill of sale for proof of

purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks