What's new

Upcoming Blu-Ray release of The Birth of a Nation (1 Viewer)

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Firstly, hello to all of you as this is my first post. Now to my topic. This isn't a technical question about the release so if it's in the wrong place, my apologies to the mods and feel free to move it to the proper place if necessary. My question is a little hard to vocalize but I shall try. I believe that anyone who loves film should own this movie because BOTN, more so than about any other film, is the benchmark for what defines a feature film as we think of it today. I would like to buy this film when it's released, but I'm hesitant to do so because of its reputation. I am a white male who lives in the southern US and regrettably, a lot of the prejudices depicted in this film run rampant even today almost a century later. In fact, I've read several places that the KKK still uses the movie as a recruiting tool. My question to you fellow cineastes, is should I be legitimately concerned about owning this film? My family and friends know me of course but I am concerned about the idea of someone visiting myself or my wife, seeing that movie on my shelf, and perhaps getting the wrong idea about both of us. I hope I've made sense about my concerns.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Unless you have a shelf full of KKK propaganda, if you love the movie, the pros of having The Birth of a Nation in your collection probably outweigh the cons. If someone is shocked to see it on your shelf and automatically assumes you to be a Grand Wizard, well, that probably says a lot more about the person doing the assuming than it does about you. If, on the other hand, someone is shocked to see it on your shelf, and they ask you about it, it's a great conversation starter. You can talk about the history of film; race relations; portrayals of race in popular culture; the censorship of racially charged images from classic films like Fantasia; the Civil War; American History; hate crimes and hate crime legislation; silent-movie acting; the KKK and its history; D.W. Griffith's contributions to the cinema and the stain BOAN put on his legacy; the list goes on. Or, you can just add the movie to your collection and not display it where people may see it. :D

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Doug - I really don't see a problem owning the title. It is a classic that even had a 35mm re-release in the early 70's without a problem. I'm also not to sure if it is a recruiting tool for the KKK today, I mean after all they would have to know how to read first. As Leonard Maltin says, "It was a product of it's time. It was wrong then and it is wrong today." I found the film to be a bit on the slow side but as a glimpse into movie-making history it is without a doubt a classic.

I plan to get the Blu-ray not only for the film but for the extras that are going along with it. When BOAN was made and some of the Civil War shorts that are included, the Civil War (or War Between The States) was only 50 years and less from the end of it. Some first hand knowledge bad and good are part of the films.

Oh and welcome to the HTF.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The big objectionable part is the third act with reconstruction and the Klansman appearing to save to day. It's a pretty great film, with a very interesting retelling of the Civil War focusing on a families that get split between North and South, up until that part. Then it gets very outlandish in multiple ways. It shouldn't be a problem, as long as your folks realize this was made close to the turn of last century and the Klan had some semblance of formal recognition in the U.S. and depicts a revisionist reconstruction period that was likely supported through much of the South at one time--at least as far as the South retaking control of its future vs Northern influence. Obviously, we know better now. It definitely seems like a film in which the controversial, and in some ways offensive depictions in the film, overshadows most other elements of the film. If you're really worried about what others will think, buy it alongside with Sally of the Sawdust to keep the purchase looking more DW Griffith oriented than Klan oriented. Thankfully Kino isn't releasing this film exploiting the Klan element with their releases, which a lot of public domain releases do with their covers.
ahollis said:
I plan to get the Blu-ray not only for the film but for the extras that are going along with it. When BOAN was made and some of the Civil War shorts that are included, the Civil War (or War Between The States) was only 50 years and less from the end of it. Some first hand knowledge bad and good are part of the films.
I never owned the film, myself, but the blu-ray package makes it too good to pass up.

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
What's really disconcerting is that I have quite a few members of my extended family who actually believe the nonsense portrayed in BOAN. This includes an uncle who I truly wouldn't be surprised to find out that he has a sheet and hood in his closet at home. Hates everything not white and is not old enough to have lived even in the 60's. He was born in 1972 and he certainly knows better. Most people around here at least know he's my dad's brother but they may not get the connection to me because I don't resemble my father at all. Thankfully this line of thought is only in extended relatives and doesn't extend to my parents or anyone else in my family I'm actually close to but the sad fact is that some of them visit our house during the holidays and I can't simply throw them out as I'd like to for peacekeeping reasons. It amazes me, now that I think about it, to realize how many people I actually went to middle and high school with who agree with many of the racist overtones that are depicted in this movie. And that was less than 15 years ago.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
ahollis said:
I mean after all they would have to know how to read first. 
:) Great line, Allen. This sort of mind set remains staggering to me - I just can't reconcile it. Human nature at its worst. The film itself is a fine achievement but for this aspect of it, but I much more look forward to an eventual Kino Blu-ray release of INTOLERANCE.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Dick
Great line, Allen. This sort of mind set remains staggering to me - I just can't reconcile it. Human nature at its worst. The film itself is a fine achievement but for this aspect of it, but I much more look forward to an eventual Kino Blu-ray release of INTOLERANCE.

I have always enjoyed INTOLERANCE. What a great concept of three different stories going on a the same time each reaching to about the same conclusion. Griffith was truly a pioneer in film storytelling and we owe a lot to his inventiveness. I would diffidently look forward to a Blu-ray of the film.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Lets please not veer off into discussions about family members and racist tendencies. This is an HT forum and the discussion should remain in keeping with the release of Birth of a Nation.

Doug: In terms of your initial question:

My question to you fellow cineastes, is should I be legitimately concerned about owning this film? My family and friends know me of course but I am concerned about the idea of someone visiting myself or my wife, seeing that movie on my shelf, and perhaps getting the wrong idea about both of us.

I'm afraid only you can know the level of importance to you and your wife about how much you care what other people (including your own family) think of you for owning a particular film.

In my own instance, I would care not a whit. In fact, I've had a copy of the alpha DVD of BoaN sitting on my living room shelves for years. If family or friends were ever to have questioned me on it (they haven't), I would have just given them an education on the film's place in our county's history (and the history of film).

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Simply for discussion, I have also ordered this, because I understand its importance in film history. And anyone to question me on it would have to sit and watch and make their own decision. Some films are abrasive like that, be it the subject matter; that said no I do not have aspiration or believe in what the film states. But it was a different time, much like the films of Leni Riefenstahl Triumph of Will, and Olympia part 1 & 2, masterpieces, (albeit, masterpieces of propaganda)

In the world we now live, we have a current tendency to try and hide from the past, or only look at the good, but if we as a group do that then, we do a disservice to everything and everyone that has gone before us to change the world.

Education is the key, and if this get a discussion going then it will have done some good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks