What's new

Unshielded Speaker Problems (1 Viewer)

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I was experiencing some type of interference on channel 3 of my TV and went through several different thing related to wires, cable TV connections, etc. to try to determine the culprit.
Well, it is my front speakers. I have a Mitsubishi 35" Direct View TV and Paradigm Reference Series Speakers 60 V.2's that I am using as fronts. They are positioned about 2-1/2 feet on either side of the TV. When I move them to about 4-1/2 feet away, the interference stops. Due to sound considerations and room set-up, this is not desirable!
See the following for photos of room layout:http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28828.html
I only get the interference on low TV channels and not with DVD.
Why would the problem occur only on low TV channels (3) and what could I do about the problem?
Thanks,
Mike
[Edited last by Mike O'Connell on July 13, 2001 at 08:55 AM]

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Might want to contact your dealer and see if they can get shielded models. Not sure if the reference series come shielded or not, but many of the bookshelf size Paradigms that I've looked at had a "normal" model and a shielded model. Since the 60s are floor standing, I have a feeling that they may not have this option, but it is worth a shot.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Talked to my Paradigm Salesman:
Since the interference is wavy lines and only happening on the low end channel, it is probably RF interference versus a magnetic interference from the speakers. He indicated that magnetic interference would show as discolored spots or rainbows along the edge of the TV screen (most likely).
He pointed towards my speaker wires versus the speakers themselves. He asked what my speaker wire is and how it is routed from the speaker to the receiver.
I indicated that is was 14/4 for biwire with the wires in a single cover and formed in a helical twist with all four wires.
He felt that the wires themselves should not be a problem.
I indicated that the wires left the back of the speaker, was in a loop on the floor (for the extra wire, then went behind the entertainment unit into the receiver).
He suggested getting rid of the loop, that it can act as an antenna that could be picking up stray RF and causing the interference on the low numbered stations. He also suggested checking the wiring routing out and moving them away from the coaxial cable lines.
I will try these and report back.
Mike

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Could be the wire loop, which should not be done, but I don't think so, since they are only signal. Interference that you described is more likely to come from a powered source.
Another question would be, is your other equipment shielded from your TV? Most notably, any type of laser device can, and likely will, cause interference with your TV. Why the interference stops when you move the speakers further away is the only thing that makes me wonder about this though.
If the speakers were directly causing the interference with the TV, you would certainly know it, since you would see a localized distortion of both picture and color, and it would not likely affect the entire screen.
Next question: Are any power wires run alnogside or near the video signal wires? Separate these for sure.
Is there a possibility that your cable box is the problem?
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on July 13, 2001 at 12:29 PM]

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Don't have a cable box.
I do need to clean up the rat's nest and separate wires better.
I automatically have the RG-6 next to power cords since I am using a surge protector that has both RG-6 connection and power connections. However, I did hook the cable up directly from the incoming line to the TV, which substantially separated the lines and still had the same problem.
Thanks,
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks